I did it!! My first ROP!!

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Finally got the bulbs and reflector in the mail from FiveMega today. You can bet that my wife still doesn't understand the excitement I had when she held that package infront of me....she asked me if we needed to build an extra "flashlight room" on the house!!

ROP low with 6x Eneloops that had not been charged for some 30 days or so gave it a nice yellowish white beam that when compared to a Cree Q5 LED running at 1000mA actually seemed more pleasing. When I, of course, started lighting up every corner I could find, I found that the ROP's light I was able to clearly identify objects much better than with the LED's more blue-white light. Particularly the further the distance. I did not expect that.

Now, when I put the Hi bulb in what can I expect? I will leave the batteries alone because they are more than rested and I don't want to blow anything.

I thank each and every one of you incan guys for giving me the motivation to do this. It was worth the wait......now if that bi-pin holder setup from AW will ever get here....... 1185!!!

Bob E.

copperfox

Enlightened
For me, both ROP bulbs can handle 6 fully charged eneloops without flashing. The high output bulb on freshly charged NiMHs is quite impressive compared to my LED lights (none more than 200lm).

Put the high output bulb in the light, take it outside at night (away from outdoor lights)...and THEN compare it to your LED lights :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done. Congratulations.
I just finished my second Mag275-Lithium Edition in a copper 2D body.

Copperfox is right. Charge those eneloops up and take that sucker outside in the dark.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
OK, you have a deal on that. Actually I think I may take every flashlight I have built outside tonight and do some comparison.

I should have added that I am using a completely stock 2 D M@g in the stock bulb holder...everything stock except for the reflector and battery holder.

Isn't the ROP bulb like twice as bright?

Bob

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Ok, didn't have to bring many flashlights outside. Brought the ROP I just put together and my 3 D cree Q5 powered (at 1A) flashlight out to the back yard.

Two seconds and the test was done. At 50 feet at a 10 x 10 shed, the led light up the front of the building nothing else really, the ROP-Hi lit up the front and 5 feet any direction you want to pick, up, down, front...whatever. I was really amazed at the difference. Would not have suspected it.

Let's go just 30 feet out the back door towards the old standard wood fence. With the LED you saw the fence but when you put the ROP on it, you could make out the detail on the fence, see characteristics of the wood that were not that apparent with the LED light.

Finally, pointing across the street above the fence towards the top of the neighbors garage, the LED did illuminate the front of the garage but again, the ROP bulb just simply blew the LED away because you could see things. Details that didn't become apparent until you used and incan light on them.

In conclusion. My LED lights are great for looking for stuff around the house, in the house, in the car......I think you get the point. Actually, you guys already know this. I am very, very impressed with these incandescent lights. I now realize what they can do....and even my Cree Q5 1A powered aspheric lensed flashlight can not do what this ROP can do. For the record with my Fluke DMM, the 6xAA Eneloop pack reads 7.89VDC which equates to 1.315VDC per cell

This puts me back into a depressed state, again, waiting for parts for my Mag85. Honestly, I cannot wait to see just how much more this thing will have than the ROP-Hi.

Incan is cool!!

Bob E.

xcrucialsx

Newly Enlightened
Should be much brighter with charged batteries and the rop bulbs. I wouldnt worry about blowing the rop bulb on 6 eneloops, i run mine on 7. Youll also need a glass lens.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Nice story :D Good to hear when someone makes that discovery that incandescent shows more outside at night... seems a lot of diehard led fanatics here can't understand that ;) of course, maybe it's because they've never actually seen a hotwire in action outside at night :whistle:

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the ROP!! i LOVE mine... i'll agree that incans produce a MUCH better color rendition outside, but i have to admit i EDC a led... mostly for efficiency... i EDC the P3D Q5... but as soon as i can find jeans with pockets big enough, you can bet i'll have my ROP right in there ;) ...jnco anyone??

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the comments. I started out here as an LED guy and then saw a few of the incans that you have built. All my LEDs I build now are mainly for "at" the house stuff for myself and familily members.

Cydonia, you may have hit the nail on the head. I am very sure that alot of the LED guys have never seen a "real" incan do it's thing. Can't wait to get the Mag85 built.

Bob E.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a very recent convert to incandescence for outside use.
Just built my first ROP and then converted to bi pin WA1111.

Amazing amount of nice warm light....

copperfox

Enlightened
SafetyBob, I think you can charge your eneloops a little bit more than that. Hot off the charger, my fivemega 6AA holder reads 8.4v. I think half a volt is noticeable in the first minute (but don't quote me on that). Swap the window for a glass one, too. You may not notice, but that's 5 to 8% more output waiting to be unleashed.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
OK, here come the questions:

Anglepoise, could you tell us what battery configuration you are using for your ROP with the WA1111 bulb. I almost went that way too, but I had to build "the" original ROP that started this whole thing off. I'm glad I did. I got incan fever now!! Besides the M@g85 coming up for me, any suggestions?

Copperfox, I will charge these babies up tonight. I can't remember if I said it or not, I got that voltage from measuring on the fivemega holder, so with no resistance mods I can't wait to throw more juice to em! I put the borofloat lense on and I love the fivemega reflector (I left the cam on...is that necessary?).

Bob E.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here come the questions:

Anglepoise, could you tell us what battery configuration you are using for your ROP with the WA1111 bulb. I almost went that way too, but I had to build "the" original ROP that started this whole thing off. I'm glad I did. I got incan fever now!! Besides the M@g85 coming up for me, any suggestions?

Bob E.

Yes....I am using FM's 6AA-2D holder. 6 Sanyo 2700 mah batteries in series. With this battery combination, I have used Hi and Low ROP bulbs and WA1111.
The Hi ROP and WA1111 are almost the same brightness to my eyes. However I was getting reflector fogging with the ROP ( out gassing I think) so I will stick to the bi pin.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes....I am using FM's 6AA-2D holder. 6 Sanyo 2700 mah batteries in series. With this battery combination, I have used Hi and Low ROP bulbs and WA1111.
The Hi ROP and WA1111 are almost the same brightness to my eyes. However I was getting reflector fogging with the ROP ( out gassing I think) so I will stick to the bi pin.

This is why some people recommend running the light for 10 minutes with the head off.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Tonight I held my breath as I charged up the Eneloops.....fresh off the charger (literally) popped them in the M@g. Yes, I noticed a MUCH brighter light than I had before. I didn't go outside as it is raining, sleeting, or freezing rain.....not sure which right now. So I had fun in the house. WOW is all I can say.

OK, heading outside!! Thanks everyone!!

Bob E.