• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Got GDuPs: Need advice on components

CameronReddy

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just ordered these from the Shoppe (I moved fast!):twothumbs:

1 x Aleph GDuP CREE LE (3 level driver)
1 x Aleph Mule GDuP CREE Head Black only (MGDuPCQ4Hd)

I'm a bit new here and I'm not certain I know what else I need to assemble a couple of lights.

With the head, I presume I need a body and a tail cap and/or a switch? Would someone be so kind as to clarify?

With the driver, which I presume is the "light engine"? I need a head without the innards, the lens and a reflector, and then the body/tailcap/switch. Do I understand this correctly?

I may also be willing to sell one of these lights for my cost once I get them completed.

This will be much fun!

Thanks for your help!

Cameron Reddy

Enlightened
I think you now have (2) light engines. If the Mule head was over $100 that is the case. That may or may not have been planned.

For a complete light you need a light engine, a head(comes with reflector, lens, & o-rings), a body or battery tube, and a tailcap with switch. There is a twist on switch available and a clickie. I would recommend the clickie.

Congrats on your grabs and good luck:twothumbs

Chris

CameronReddy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Chris,

What .308 do you like? I'm guessing something like an M1 Garand?

Yes, I knew I was getting two light engines. I got both because I wasn't sure of the difference and I had to move quickly...

You said,

"For a complete light you need a light engine, a head (comes with reflector, lens, & o-rings), a body or battery tube, and a tailcap with switch. There is a twist on switch available and a clickie...."

So, I have one full head/LE ($160) to which I need to attach a body and a tailcap with switch.

The other unit is just the LE ($120)... so I need a reflector, lens, o-rings, body, and tailcap.

Right?

Enlightened
I only own hunting rifles for now (hoping for an AR).

On #1 yes.

On #2 you also need a head (i.e. Aleph 19 head). The head will come with the reflector and lens. All of the parts will come with the necessary o-rings.

Good luck,
Chris

CameronReddy

Newly Enlightened
".308" and "Garand" in the same sentence??? HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mecry::faint:
Tim
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Horrors! I won't make that mistake again! .30-06!
:whoopin::whoopin::whoopin::whoopin:

For those of you not aware of my transgression, this is from Wikipedia:

The .30-06 Springfield cartridge (pronounced "thirty-aught-six" or "thirty-oh-six") is a 7.62 mm (.308in.) calibre rifle cartridge , or 7.62x63mm, introduced to the United States Army in 1906 (hence "06") and standardized, used until 1960s and early 1970s.
It was developed from and superseded the nearly identical .30-03, having a slightly shorter casing and a higher velocity spitzer bullet. There were three main production runs of the round, that roughly correspond to large stocks built up during wars: the initial .30-06, the M1 Ball, and the M2 Ball.
The M1903 Springfield rifle, introduced alongside the earlier cartridge, was quickly modified to accept the .30-06. It replaced the 6 mm Lee Navy as well as remaining older calibers such as the .30 US Army (also called .30-40 Krag) used in the Model 1892 Krag. The .30-06 remained the US Army's main cartridge for nearly 50 years before it was finally replaced by the 7.62 x 51 mm (7.62mm NATO, commercial .308 Winchester) with the adoption of the M14 in 1954. However, the first M14s were not fielded until 1957, and the .30-06 remained in service into the 1970s, mainly as a machine gun cartridge.... The .30-06's power, combined with the ready availability of surplus firearms chambered for it, and so demand for commercial ammunition, has made it a popular hunting round. It is suitable for large mammals such as deer, elk, and moose.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/9.3X62-30-06-8X57-6.5X55-308.JPG

Thus, no actual WWII Garand was ever chambered for the smaller ("sissy") .308. Only the reproductions made by Springfield and currently marketed under the name M1A1 Garand are chambered for the .308.

Cameron

Last edited:

Tim W

Enlightened
END OF THREAD HIJACK!!:D

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thus, no actual WWII Garand was ever chambered for the smaller ("sissy") .308. Only the reproductions made by Springfield and currently marketed under the name M1A1 Garand are chambered for the .308.

Cameron

Glad you had a little fun with it, I kinda like to rock to boat now and again.

Actually, (I don't remember when), but the Navy did experiment with converting M1 Garand's to 7.62 via a pressed in chamber adaptor but the results where not very safe.

The Springfield M1A is the civillian copy of the M14, lacking the "fun switch". I've fired a friends in the past and it is a pretty good rifle itself.

Tim

PS: FUN SWITCH: Selector switch for full-auto.