ArmyTek
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA Lantern Upgrade

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Sylvania/Osram Mini 4AA Lantern Upgrade

Hi LM
    Bad news on the burg mate :-(
    Good news that your optic didn't come off :-)
    I've done a few with just the optic and some have stayed on well,but a couple did come off with a decent knock -so any others i do ,i'll use the holder.

It won't block much light i hope -but it might stop a little glare.Still have to finish the ones i started the other week.

Cheers
    Dom

Enlightened

Finally got my order of SSC P4s from DX did an emitter replacement on one of these lanterns; getting things apart was harder than the actual swap. I'M using the default diffuser and all else so my results are the same as others here (so I'm not going to bother taking pictures).

I ran it on high just to see how it did; much brighter than stock, and it definitely faded after 7-8 minutes, though it was still a lot brighter than the stocker I had running next to it. I could feel the entire switch section getting warm. The stocker stayed cool.

I'm assuming the heat sinking is in adequate contact, and the thermal grease (Radio Shack basic white) is doing its job since that warmth almost had to come from the metal slug. I wonder if a little bit of ventilation through the side of the silver switch section would be helpful. I'm also going to get some better heat sink compound; I used to have some expensive stuff used when building up some Alpha processor based systems that I think may be hiding at work.

Neat mod (and my first). Thanks for all the info everyone has posted!

Should the output be fading after 7 or 8 minutes?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    Should the output be fading after 7 or 8 minutes?
    No it shouldn't I'm guessing his emitters overheated due to improper heatsinking.

I've only had 1 P4 fade a go towards the blue end. It was one I was just playing around with, that I didn't heat sink. Properly heatsinked it really shouldn't fade too noticeably at least not in a short time frame.

Enlightened

Someone posted a runtime graph (there's link to it earlier in this thread) and mentioned a drop off early in the test cycle. I don't know if it should drop off or not; its my first mod.

The stocker does not appear to drop off over the about 15 minutes I tested (I have three, and kept one off/cool to compare; the stock after 15 minutes was exremely close to the freshly turned on stocker. The SSC-equipped light definitely lost some brightness when the switch ring got warm, though I don't have a second to compare initial brightness to (nor a light meter).

I had rather expected the SSC to run the same or cooler given the regulated circuit. I also think (but its speculation) that if the emitter was not in good thermal contact with the slug, I wouldn't be feeling the switch ring getting so warm and the LED would have faded more or cut out/died, but I could be wrong.

Flashaholic*

I never bothered to test if the driver in the lantern is really a constant current driver, but I have run several of them for extended periods without any noticeable dimming although I was using low.

Perhaps the driver is more of a constant voltage driver and the Vf of some of the SSC's is lower than the Golden Dragon so they are running much higher currents and are heating up?
    Last edited by Stereodude; 06-29-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Enlightened

I did a second lantern with an SSC P4 tonight taking extra care with the heat sinking, but still using the white grease. Both lanterns are identically bright and the same color per the eyeball Mk1.

I turned one off for 10 minutes, then back on; it was somewhat brighter than the one that had remained running (which had a warm switch ring by that point). Did the same waiting 20 minutes; it did not look like the 'on' lantern dimmed any more (again, just by eyeball comparison to the cool one) or got any warmer. Perhaps its reaches a steady state, like a MagLED, and stays there.

Next one will wait until I have some better heat sink compound. I'm going to run the second one down on a set of fresh batteries to make sure the LED doesn't fail, but I think it will be OK. I just hadn't seen anyone else comment about the fade, or the felt warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duodec View Post
    Next one will wait until I have some better heat sink compound. I'm going to run the second one down on a set of fresh batteries to make sure the LED doesn't fail, but I think it will be OK. I just hadn't seen anyone else comment about the fade, or the felt warmth.
    I'll be using Artctic Silver Ceramique on mine when my LEDs arrive.
    It did wonders for my computer problems, it should be able to handle this.

So, the Sylvania web site claims "Up to 200 hr. battery life at dimming status 80 hr. battery life at full brightness" for the original LED, which seem like very impressive numbers.

http://store.sylvania.com/show_item.cfm?i=72035

The runtime tests don't show anything near that - more like an extra 0 got tacked on somewhere.

Is this just extreme marketing, or am I missing something there?

Well I'm just beside myself, let me explain. ')
    I have had one of these little guys for quite a while as I received it as a gift during a transaction with that low down glockboy!..

Again let me explain, I spent quite a bit of time reading this thread and was very anxious to upgrade my little lantern. So I finally have a little time and am a little surprised when I twist the top and it easily turns and comes right off. Hmm ok, so I remove the bats and proceed to unscrewing the 3 small screws in the bottom of bat compartment. No problem and now with those out I feel the top is loose so I carefully lay the parts out and once I remove the ring with defuser what do I fine instead of the original Dragon led... yep that dirty dog had already upgraded this thing and robbed me the opportunity to have a little fun. I might add it was a very neat & clean job as well.. Grrr

Now I don't know if ya'll can relate but all I can say is..
    Now I OWE ya dbl, you dirty dog.. lmao

KUDOs to my man glockboy, once again..

And Dom and all, many thanks for the great tutorial.
    X/BillyD..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

Flashaholic*

Bummer Billy :-)
    I thing the Glockster was one of the first to mod these lanterns.

You now have to put a optic on it to make it complete :-)

Cheers
    Dom

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIcon View Post
    So, the Sylvania web site claims "Up to 200 hr. battery life at dimming status 80 hr. battery life at full brightness" for the original LED, which seem like very impressive numbers.

http://store.sylvania.com/show_item.cfm?i=72035

The runtime tests don't show anything near that - more like an extra 0 got tacked on somewhere.

Is this just extreme marketing, or am I missing something there?
    Think they made a bit of a mistake with the runtime there. It's around 6hrs and 30hrs with Eneloops with or without the upgraded LED.

Cheers
    Dom

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Bummer Billy :-)
    I thing the Glockster was one of the first to mod these lanterns.

You now have to put a optic on it to make it complete :-)

Cheers
    Dom
    Rgr that, In the process already..
    I'll fix that Glockster. ')
    Thanks Dom.
    X/BillyD..
    So much to learn, so little time.. ')
    DFW Texas Spring Fling CPF and LPF Flashapalooza, TBA? ')

Flashaholic

Well did the mod today with a cree. Got the light from menards in NW Ohio for 9.99.
    They had tons of them. But I am not really that impressed with it.
    I tried both the difusser and a optic from a ray ovac 4w. My much much smaller river rock key chain lantern (4.99) at target is almost just as bright with a nichia 5mm just a little more blue then white. Did I do somthin wrong?
    Edit: I wonder how a reflector that was level with the bottom would do?
    ya know like drop a small reflector down the hole instead of the optic
    Last edited by flashburn72; 07-17-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Add

Enlightened

I have one of those keychain lanterns at work now (loanable bathroom light during power outages). My modded Sylvania with diffuser is absolutely much brighter than the Rock River, and produces a much higher quality spread of light. I don't have a proper optic to try with it yet.

In a dark room my Rock River is about equivalent to a stock Sylvania on low.

Does anyone know what the part/model number is for the Golden Dragon LED that comes with these lanterns?

Plan on re-using them for something else, just would like to know which one it is.

Enlightened

In case anyone is interested Menards has these lanterns on sale again; $5.99.

Cool Daddy Administrator

Menard's is only B&M? I've not heard of the store, and can't seem to order any online??
    - Darell, the EVnut
    Email me: darelldd -at- gmail - I don't do PM.
    Beer is finally cheaper than gas. Drink, don't drive.

Enlightened

I believe thats correct; I think someone called them and they were willing to take an order and ship earlier in this thread though.

I got my first lantern modded with a U bin SSC P4.

Had a few problems though...the clear lens would not separate from the base, so I popped the circuitry out the bottom. The old LED was on pretty good too, but I eventually removed it.

The silicone I have here (GE Silicone II) came out of the tube kinda gunky and wouldn't even stick to the khatod optic, so for now I put the old diffuser back on for now.

Any recommendations on something to use to "glue" the optic to the LED?

Going to out a U2 bin SSC P4 on the other lantern.

Enlightened

The only one I built with an optic so far I used Loctite brand clear silicone adhesive sealant. So far so good. There's a bit of a ring of the stuff around the outside edge of the optic base touching the outer rim of the emitter body.

Never mind, I found it.
    Last edited by Black Rose; 07-25-2008 at 05:59 PM.

If anyone is on the fence regarding whether to simply reuse the difuser or to go with optics, my recommendation would be to go with the optic.

I had both of my lanterns (modded with SSC P4 U and U2 bin LEDs) outside Thursday night while I was watering the plants and found that the glare from the difuser made them almost unusable on high and the light really didn't spread out that well.

Friday I resolved the problem I was having with the silicone and put the optics on both of them.

I just tried them a few minutes ago and they are much much better with the optics. They are no longer harsh on the eyes on high and spread the light out quite nicely.

Flashaholic*

Hi Black Rose
    They are great hey :-)
    What was wrong with you silicone?

Any more i now do will be using the optic holder. Sent one of my original ones to my sister and the first thing she did was drop it. Optic fell off:-(

So i'm sending a couple replacements with the holders.

From the left :
    1.Optic -no holder
    2.Taken apart to grind the bottom reflector to fit the holder.
    3.Ground the bottom reflector while still together.(very messy)
    4.Original.

Cheers
    Dom

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Hi Black Rose
    They are great hey :-)
    What was wrong with you silicone?
    The silicone didn't seem to want to adhere to the optic or LED base.

I squirted a bit out of the tube and tossed it. The silicone that came out after that seemed to work better.

The optics are still a bit wobbly to touch, but the silicone I used is very flexible even when fully cured.

Flashaholic

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a Menard's store, so could someone answer a couple of questions for me?

Does Menard's still sell these and if so, at what price?

Also, would someone be so kind as to post in Good Deals the next time they're on sale? I've signed up for the flyer, but I don't want to miss the deal. Thanks!

Also, keep monitoring the Group Buy section on CPFMP.

A lot of us got our lanterns from the group buy that Wits' End had earlier this year.

Hi, Radiophile

To help clarify what Black Rose said, the thread you should take a look at is over in the CandlePower Forums MarketPlace section under the Buy/Sell/Trade > Lights > Sell section.

Here's a direct link to the thread by member Wits' End:

Sale Sylvania 4AA Lanterns- Golden Dragon

Take a look at that thread, and if you're interested in getting in on it, you have to post a "dibs" remark to the thread letting Wits' End know you want in. Read through the thread and you'll see what I mean. The last batch sold out, but he is working on trying to obtain another batch and that could be happening at any time now, according to the info in the thread. Price for the last batch was roughly $12.50 each plus shipping, but I think you can get a slightly better deal if you order two or three at once because of shipping charges.

If any of that is unclear, you can likely ask and have whatever you need clarified -- either there or here or by sending a PM to member Wits' End, whom you can look up in the Member List as linked on all pages of the CPF forums/CPF MarketPlace forums near the top of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by varuscelli View Post
    Hi, Radiophile

To help clarify what Black Rose said, the thread you should take a look at is over in the CandlePower Forums MarketPlace section under the Buy/Sell/Trade > Lights > Sell section.

Here's a direct link to the thread by member Wits' End:

Sale Sylvania 4AA Lanterns- Golden Dragon
    Ahhh, so that's where it went. I tried to find it earlier in the group buy section, which is where I got my two lanterns, but it was gone.

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Well I come over to ask a question and see my name .
    I do have a new batch of lanterns in I have about 20 available

Anyhow my real question. I have a customer buying 6 lanterns to be shipped to Romania. I'll have room in the FR Box for extras (I'm picking up another lantern R-O-V SE 3D LED for him). He'd like optics for Cree emitters. 6 of them. I am NOT a modder. Can anyone ship me 6 optics? I'll paypal. I just guess I'll get what he needs quicker through a member here, if there is a good source I'll order myself. After a quick look over this thread, I know I might need to know the degree of the optics? I'll email him and let him decide. But some clear choices might be welcome, his English is very good but not perfect. I'm hoping to ship this after I pick up his other lantern next week.
    The dead batteries were given out free of charge

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast