My Surefire E1B Backup (Beamshots and runtime)

Chao

Enlightened
E1B-4.jpg

Just got my surefire E1B backup light today from batteryjunction, here are my quick beamshots and runtime test.

Lux readings at 1m: Hi 3900 lux, Low 232 lux (my L1 cree version: Hi 3380 lux, low 410 lux),

5m beamshots, left: E1B, right: L1 Cree
E1B-5m2.jpg
2007L15m.jpg

10m beamshots, left: E1B, right: L1 Cree
E1B-10m2.jpg
2007L110mhi.jpg

10m targets
E1B-10m2.jpg
2007L110mhi.jpg

Runtime graph (high level):
E1B-runtime.jpg

Show L1 runtime again for compare
2007L1runtime.jpg

I roughly estimated the total output is around 80 lum, same as my 65 lum L1.
Because I just got this light, not have comments right now, but one thing strange is the head bezel can be opened easily, I think it was not sealed, so my backup light is focusable:D, the throw can be changed from 3000 lux to 3600 lux.
E1B-5.jpg

E1B-low (5 lum) vs. ARC-P (5.5 lum)
ARC-E1B-low.jpg

02/25/08 update...............................................................
Got my #2 E1B, because my #1 E1B bezel was not sealed, I am not sure whether the light was in good focal point when I took shots, so I took new beamshots for my #2 E1B, and updated the shots and readings above.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and info chao! The bezel on my E1B won't budge... Even with my rubber strap wrenches.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - its nice to see the size comparison with the L1. I thought they were about the same size but the E1B is a bit smaller.

Chao

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing. I"m glad to see your 1-hour and 20-minutes plot for constant regulation. That's what I acheived on my 1st unit as well.

Thanks everyone, Yes, my E1B also keep good constant regulation for 80 min.

The bezel on my E1B won't budge... Even with my rubber strap wrenches.

Hi WadeF, thanks for tell me this.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job! Great light too.

FWIW the bezel on my E1B does open easily, like yours. I'm tempted to pick up another McR19-XR just for this little beauty of a light.

Chao

Enlightened
Add a picture of E1B-low (5 lum) vs. ARC-P (5.5 lum), both have similar output, E1B has more throw, ARC-P as you know has good spill.
ARC-E1B-low.jpg

Geode

Enlightened
Thanks very much for the review!

How does the ease of going back and forth between 2 levels compare between the EIB and L1? I am thinking about buying one of these small lights or the new E2L Outdoorsman with two levels, but have not been able to find much discussion about how user-friendly the two level switching is.

Whatever comments you (or anyone else) has would be appreciated.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Thanks for the review and info chao! The bezel on my E1B won't budge... Even with my rubber strap wrenches.

Huh. Mine does (sn A00901). Took two Lance Armstrong LiveStrong bracelets and two towels to protect my hands. Came right apart.

So did my KX1 head in the same way.

-Steve

Chao

Enlightened
Hi Chao,
nice reviews.
how's the switch on the E1B?
forward clicky or the same as the L1 Cree?

Hi nano, yes, E1B use forward clicky, mine works well so far, I like the smooth surface without knurling, but if you don't like it, all E-series tail cap can fit.

Chao

Enlightened
Thanks very much for the review!

How does the ease of going back and forth between 2 levels compare between the EIB and L1? I am thinking about buying one of these small lights or the new E2L Outdoorsman with two levels, but have not been able to find much discussion about how user-friendly the two level switching is.

Whatever comments you (or anyone else) has would be appreciated.

I would think the twist tail cap in L1 is more convenient than clicky in E1B for select between 2 levels, however, E1B only has 2 levels, it's not bother me, and I like the E1B goes high first when click on.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Enlightened
I'm assuming you mean the E1B or the L1? Is so, I'd take the L1. It seems that most people that are "in love" with the E1B mostly rave about the reversable clip. In my case, that's not a big deal to me that it's reversable.
I did. Thanks for your opinion. I already own the L1 and I am considering the E1B because it is shorter and has higher lumen output, but apparently it is not noticebly brighter than the L1.

I actually would prefer a short clipless light that is easier to put into a pocket instead of clipping to a pocket.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer a clicky over a twisty, so for me the L1 has never been on the agenda. For the same reason, the E1B looks promising.

Not that I need another light.
890.gif