Rumors of the demise of CR123's

BigD64

Enlightened
I heard a rumor today that Surefire and makers of other CR123 lights may be switching over to AA's and rechargeable's. Supposedly Phillips keeps getting whacked by lawsuits from problems caused by cheap counterfeit 123's and may stop making them. Has anyone else heard this?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know phillips doesn't make any of the mainstream 123a we use. And they wouldn't be responsible for any damage caused by counterfeit anyway.

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
I heard a rumor today that Surefire and makers of other CR123 lights may be switching over to AA's and rechargeable's. Supposedly Phillips keeps getting whacked by lawsuits from problems caused by cheap counterfeit 123's and may stop making them. Has anyone else heard this?
Doesn't make a bunch of sense. Sound like someone stirring the pot. Why would Phillips get whacked by lawsuits caused by lawsuits of cheap counterfit CR123s?

paulr

Flashaholic
CR123A's were a common power source for point and shoot film cameras, but who uses those any more? Digicams almost always use rechargeables (nimh or otherwise).

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't happen. Too many devices using them so the format won't go away. The only thing that may happen is they will come up with safer chemistry - which to some extent already has happened. And it's been shown AA's still don't make as bright of light as a CR123 not to mention they are generally longer. Sooooo - don't know where you got your rumor but probably someone in the AA camp that doesn't like CR123's - you know the old Ford vs. Chevy camps? Well they got them for AA vs CR123 :cool:
And right now you're our prime suspect for being a rumor monger from the AA camp :laughing:

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
where did you hear the rumor, from who?

Some guy was on the street saying the world will end in year 2038 or something like based on the Aztec or Mayan calender, doesn't mean it's real.

Ditto. I think it would take an insider conspiracy theorist to predict a half dozen major battery manufacturers are going to bail from the format!

Larry

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the US military uses CR123's in weapon lights and Eotech sighting systems, I can't imagine that the CR 123 is going to die

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do Hope not....almost all my lights run on CR123As...

surefire would just die, every single one of thier lights would become obsolete..

and since when does phillips make the CR123As? doesnt sound plausible ...

Crenshaw

LG&M

Enlightened
LED's and AA have come a long way but I don't think CR123 are going anywhere. I should have more info tomorrow after I check the tea leaves.:whistle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I heard a rumor today that Surefire and makers of other CR123 lights may be switching over to AA's and rechargeable's....

That will happen the day Hell freezes over.... and Satan starts handing out free snow-cones. :D

But seriously, don't believe rumors like that. I think someone was just pulling your leg.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my entire lifetime (45 years), I've known of only two sizes of cylindrical cells ever to go off the market.

Those are the E cell (from "701" 3V cycle lamps) and the BF (927 or No.8) cell from handheld bedside torches.

Every other size of cell is still in production.

Even B cells are still made, if you are happy to crack open 4.5V cycle lamps!

None of these cells EVER enjoyed the popularity, widespread use or market pentration of the CR123A, so the latter should be around for many years to come.

But - even if they do, it would present an excuse for buying new flashlights, wouldn't it?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the 123 battery is going to stay. The only thing that could happen is further regulation of them for safety resulting in higher prices. Other than that, they are just used in too many devices to be discontinued.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Until someone finds a better alternative to the classic AA and better CR123... there is no way in heck the latter is going anywhere. Surefire uses them too much, and the vast majority of light fanatics would make a tumultuous uproar.

It'd be like trying to take shotguns away from rednecks...
-RC

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
where did you hear the rumor, from who?

Some guy was on the street saying the world will end in year 2038 or something like based on the Aztec or Mayan calender, doesn't mean it's real.

Year 2038 is when the UNIX time will overflow and wrap around... We will teleport in the past!