A friendly thread for a friendly member...Home Alone II

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a thread to give a little friendly advice or comforting support to a polite and amiable member, AMD64Blondie. It is in alignment with his original theme which had become muddled up with something else. Here are a few things that had been said previously:

AMD64Blondie tells us,

"Here's the backstory..Mom and Dad are flying off to Hawaii for a week,leaving me with some of our relatives who are coming to stay with me.
They're leaving on Feb.17,2008.. and returning on Feb.23,2008.
I know my parents will be back by next Saturday(the 23rd)..but they've never before both left at the same time.(I'm 24,in case you're curious..and still living with Mom and Dad.Haven't felt ready to move out yet.) I'm extremely scared and nervous about this. I'm just looking for some comforting words to help me through this first time without Mom and Dad home.
Thanks again.."

jztml offered,

"What's the worst that's gona happen? You are just afraid of the idea of being alone at home. Which after they leave you'll find out is really nothing to be scared of."

270 Winchester suggested,

"go ride a bike and get negative thoughts off your mind"

adamlau said,

"Excellent advice. Go and spec yourself a high powered incan for fun."

sawlight brought,

"I am really trying to be funny here, work with me:

I think I was 16 when I was first left home alone for a weekend. I grew up in a rural enviroment as well. I didn't drink or smoke, all of my freinds were geeks, in the nicest way, that didn't drink or smoke, and their idea of a wild time was staying up till three playing D&D until the caffine and sugar finally wore off.

My parents knew I ws having a party, and knew who was coming. All was fine and good, but the neighbors kept calling, and I mean calling all the time!! "Can I talk to you're mom?" "Do you're parent know you are having a party?" jeez.... this went on and on!!! We wound it up at 10:30 as planned, and boy did my mom get an earful when she came back!!! I was standing there when all of this happened. My mom was less than happy about it with her, and laughed with me about it latter!!

Most younger folk would LOVE to have the house alone!!! P A R T Y!!!!!!!!
You show great responsibility that the thought hasn't even come up!!
Have a slumber party? Have a freind stay one night, and another another night? Spend another night with another freind?
Cuddle with you're flashlights?
I mean at 24, I could have thought of all kinds of crazy things to do!!"

TigerhawkT3 explained,

"I'm in a similar situation, though a few years younger. My parents have been on vacations together for two weeks or more at a time, and we don't have any relatives close by. With your relatives staying with you, you won't have to worry about things like food, garbage, mail and such (that sort of thing piles up pretty fast! The best tack I can think of is to keep busy: go out with friends, work on flashlights, exercise, whatever. You might enjoy talking to your parents on the phone if they can be reached there, and I'm sure you'll love hearing about how much fun they're having! If you can't talk to them while they're out, they'll save up all their fun stories for when they get back.

You'll do fine."

cerbie responded with,

"Drink, shop, and party!

By which I mean hang around a coffee shop, eye those lights at whatever outdoors store is in your neck of the woods (no, I didn't spend a third of my time in Bass Pro trying to recall which ones worked well on rechargeable 123s...why do you ask?), and maybe chill over some games or movies."

Sasha remedied with ,

"Watch the movie "Risky Business"...

paulr reminds to,

"Keep lots of flashlights around in case there's a power failure."

Chuck289 advocated,

"Set up booby traps in your house like in Home Alone.

"This is my house, and I have to defend it" "

AMD64Blondie responded with,

"I'll update you on Monday,after Mom and Dad have left for the week."

geepondy shared,

"Actually I think it's cool that some of you can get along with your parent's that well to live with them well past the teen years. I loved my parent's but we got along much better after I moved out."

Icebreak replied with,

"If you think you hear someone in the garage with a chainsaw don't go look. That's always a mistake.

OK, seriously...

Plan and execute one or two projects for home or auto maintenance. Fix a loose or squeaky hinge. Re-paper the inside of the kitchen cabinets. Paint your room. Trim the exterior foliage. Wash and or detail the cars. Purchase an inexpensive vase and pick up some flowers for it Saturday morning. Buy yourself a nice shirt. Maybe get a fresh trim. Do a little grocery shopping then plan and prepare an evening meal for the day they arrive or maybe breakfast Sunday morning.

Most people will greatly appreciate any improvement in the home upon their return from a trip. To know that the home fires had been kept burning gives folks a feeling of well being."

jumpstat suggested,

"This is the time where you can do what you like where you can't whilst they are around. Do you have access to the vehicle? Did they leave behind any funds? Sit down and plan some things to do, then do it......keeping yourself busy takes the time away faster."

nerdgineer offered that,

"Perhaps this is an opportunity to start making the transition to being on your own. Do you have a plan for being independent at some time? Job? School? Military (like Sasha said...), Peace Corps, Summer Counselor for camp somewhere? Anything?

Take this as an opportunity to think some of those through because sooner or later, you'll want to be independent, and letting years pass by before you act on that is a waste of your most, most precious resource: time.

Best wishes to you."

mossyoak related,

"at the age of 24 there has to be something you can do to occupy your time right? i remember the first time i had the house alone to myself for a week, i was 16 i think the parents were gone to hawaii for a doctors conference of some sort, i was given a "food allowance" and basically invited everyone i knew over and we just hung out for the week and ran up a rather large pay-per-view bill.
or you could just prepare for the Zombie invasion. Z.E.D.U."

Oddjob advised,

"Make the most of this opportunity by figuring out what you are scared of. Being alone sometimes forces you to come to realizations. Are there emotional issues you are not aware of. Are you maybe too close to your parents. Maybe you are not so much scared of being home alone but rather scared of what is out there. It's natural to be nervous about unfamiliar situations but sometimes when you leave your comfort zones you discover new comfort zones. I lived with my parents until I was 31 mostly because I could not afford to live on my own and I was putting myself through school but there was a part of me that enjoyed the lack of responsibilities as well as the feelings of safety and comfort. Bottom line is there is probably nothing to worry about so just explore your independent side until they return."

Burgess suggested,

"Suggestion . . . .

Have the radio playing softly and continuously.

This will serve to "mask" the sounds which occur all the time,
but which you probably don't really (normally) notice.

Take great care to avoid Locking yerself outta' the house,
since (for the next week), you don't have a "safety net".

Likewise, avoid (or at least be careful)
using candles or flame.

Finally, we promise not to chide you if you
want to leave some house lights turned on all night.

Go ahead. You may find it to be a comfort. That's fine.

Pretend, as you are going about your daily activities,
that your Mom and Dad are nearby, giving you some of
their Parental Guidance which has worked quite well so far.

Maybe like them saying: "Now don't do anything foolish".

You'll do fine, my friend.

And your parents will come back in a week,

and bring you a shirt that sez something like:

"My parents went to Hawaii, and all i got was this lousy T-Shirt".

Feel free to write us again, & let us know how it's going.

Good Luck."

worldedit responded with,

"I moved out at 20 and i dont think it was to early. My parents are very nice but i couldnt stand it any more.
I think its ok living with your parents as a flat sharing community if you get along with them and need the money for lights. But having mom do your laundry and dad repair your bike is not very grown up.
To manage a household is not that difficult, give it a try! Will make you more self-confident."

LondonLad expounded that,

"everyone is different and it's great that someone feels able to ask the question here.

Of course we are all assuming that AMD64Blondie is a guy, when in fact they could be a young lady ?"

WNG offered that,

"I assumed blondie was a girl.
So I give you the benefit of doubt.

What's there to be afraid of? Your relatives snore?
I assume they are sent over to watch over you, since your parents probably felt you can't assume the responsibility.

Sounds like an Asian household (don't ask me how I know).

Relax, enjoy your freedom and alone time. Solitude can be a joy if you've not experienced it. It allows you to discover your identity.
Loneliness is a different matter.
But if it's fear you feel, then you must face that fear. It's useless and debilitating.

My recommendation? Go bungie jumping."

DaFABRICATA offered that,

"I think we need to remember that ALL of us mature faster or slower due to the different circumstances and situations life brings us. I don't think you can put a time limit (age) at which you should have done this, that, or the other. Some of us have been fortunate enough to have financial help and open doors from loved ones. Others have had to deal with parents that may not have been able to give as much, or possibly bad family relationships, and sometime school isn't for everyone. I too find it a bit "different" being nervous or scared about being alone, but then again, I moved out when I was 15. I was also fortunate enough to have parents that allowed me to move back in when times were tough. I think it is good to get out into the world and experiance some things outside your comfort zone. It prepares you to deal with situations that will probably seem quite challenging if you put it off too much longer. I feel very confident that I personally could enjoy myself outside of home or away from loved ones. Independance is a great feeling, but knowing I have family and friends that are there for me if I need them is also nice. I know several people that have been a bit too sheltered and it has has negative effects on their ability to overcome obsticals, social issues and such because they always have that safety net. Take the time while your parents are away to focus on the positive and fun side of not having someone right there. Being alone can be very enjoyable, as it allows you to concentrate on you and nothing else. Whatever you do, don't concentrate anything nagative, make sure you are enjoying yourself in a positive manner as this will help to enforce the good feeling/motivation of being independant."

AMD64Blondie clarified with,

"In case you're wondering.. I'm a guy. (real name Mike.)"

TITAN1833 ribbed jokingly with,

"AMD64Blondie don't worry,the most scarriest moment will be when they return home,and find out you have done everything they said you shouldn't"

Illum_the_nation related that,

"College student, making a small income from the local library
10 years living in this house if I found dirt in the house I could tell you whether its the front yard or the backyard....
Mom doesn't care whether I move out or stay [until I'm married of course] as long as I make some contribution to the house.
Even at 20 years of age living in my parents house...when both are away I'd turn out all the lights except the ones I absolutely need...keep the TV and act like nothings wrong...but inside I was scared whenever both are out...especially when the telephone rings or odd noises in the garage, the bathroom, outside etc.

If I ever bought a handgun, my fridge would've been shot many times because of compressor noises"

London Lad explained,

"Illum,

I am 49 and the fridge still sneaks up on me!"

geepondy related,

"Sasha yes we're old. Without digressing too much, in our day no pc, no video games, no cell phone, all material items kids now think they deserve and take for granted. We played outside.

I'm a big believer based on my own experience of going away and dorming it for college. I made mistakes and almost flunked out one semester for too much party 101 but when I graduated and moved out of state I was so much better prepared for life on my own and didn't have that dreadful homesick feelings like I did the first few weeks of college. For the people who say they can't afford to not live at home, from my first experience I worked at a department store for just over minimum wage and shared a one bedroom apartment with another, then when I got my first real job and had to move again, I rented a single room for the better part of the year and walked three miles to work (uphill both ways of course). Not trying to say it's wrong to live at home it's just that it's amazing what you can and will do to survive as Sasha has illustrated with her daughter's experience."

Sasha illuminated that,

"... I think that's something from our part of the world...

I was just thinking about a couple of weeks ago when my husband and I went to Vegas for SHOT. We left on Friday evening and got home Monday evening. Our 17 year old son stayed home... alone. I gave him $100 and he has his scooter. If he wanted food, he went and got it. I didn't even have to go shopping and stock the house before I left. He knows where the guns are in the house... and how to safely use each and every one of them. He also knows how to dial 911 on both the house phone and his cell phone. Afraid to be home alone? NOT!! "Aren't you guys gone yet?!?!?"... "You're coming home already?!?!?" ... He got himself up and out the door and to school on time all by himself on Monday morning. The dogs were all fed and watered while we were gone and the dishes and laundry were done and put away. Nothing seemed out of place or amiss when we got home. Do I need to know exactly what he did while we were gone? Nope! I didn't find any evidence of anything "wrong" and my husband didn't hear any reports of the police having been called to our address or having to deal with our son while we were gone. That's all I need to know. He done good... survived just fine... and I think he finally beat Assassin's Creed... "

NeonLights explained that,

"FWIW I lived at home most of the time until I was 23 and got married, but my parents would leave me alone at home for the evening at least, by myself as early as 8-10 years of age, and by the time I was 14 my older siblings had moved out, and my parents would leave me home alone by myself for the weekend on occasion. I grew up on a farm out in the country, with no close neighbors, so occasionally it would get a bit creepy, but I had a .357 magnum Smith and Wesson and a 12 gauge Mossberg to give me comfort and security."

Diesle Bomber suggested,

"Blondie-

Just relax and have fun. ...snip... it's your life and so long as you don't hurt anyone else, continue to live it as you wish. Your living arrangements are the business of you and your parents and no one else…snip"

Supernam shared that,

"I'm 24 also. I'm very fortunate to have parents who were well off enough to pay me through college. When I was applying for schools back in high school, I was so excited and looking forward to being off on my own and out of the grasps and control of my well-meaning yet over-bearing parents. I ended up moving out 3 days after I graduated high school.

My parents were both refugees from the Vietnam war, my dad was only 20 and my mom was 17 when they left the home land. Today my dad is a chemist and the supervisor of his lab, and my mom is a senior engineer. You can imagine from the combination of their personal experiences and cultural values, the kind of pressure I was under constantly to perform.

Anyway, I felt that I was raised right, and I believe that growing up sooner than later is a good thing for the most part. Even though I was considered myself a kid most of the time though college, I made a lot of mistakes and learned from them, I grew up real fast and became an adult.

We're all afraid of growing up (or aging) at one point or another, I still am today, but the clock is ticking. We might as well embrace it with open arms."

this_is_nascar replied,

"snip… I'm still scratching my head as to why a 24-year old would be nervous and scared while his/her parents are away."

Empath offered that,

"You've likely seen all kinds of answers, and inquiries, regarding your post. Whether they contain much in the way of "comforting words", I don't know. Since that's what you requested, that's also what I'll attempt.

I would recommend that you trust your Mom and Dad to have made the best decision here. For whatever reason that required accommodating you, they've apparently met the requirements and have stuck by you. They've shown themselves as trustworthy by devoting their lives not only to one another's needs, but always with a view toward yours. Being able to enjoy some extended periods of being alone together has been tempered with a consideration toward your needs. Considering the importance of such periods of solitude, there's probably an overriding reason.

Now, it looks as if the potential of a few days in Hawaii is available as a means of finally getting to catch up on some of this much needed and deserved time alone together. Even here, it appears they've provided. The arrangement for some relatives to be there, looks to be an answer. It's a means of insuring that you're not being left alone. Mom and Dad apparently feels it's important, and they've provided just as they always have. They're apparently relatives that Mom and Dad believe in.

Trust...... it brings the comfort you need. You'll miss them, but they'll be back. Until then, they've provided. Enjoy the experience."

fnmag added,

"AMD, not to worry. You'll be "right as rain".
Knowing that relatives are coming by to check up on you is reassuring.
You've got your lights to "keep you company" as well as light up the bedroom overnight.
I'd plan on doing a few things that you enjoy doing.
How about some DVD rentals with popcorn and butter?
The pizza delivery man will be happy to drop by with some vittles.
If it's not raining in Portland, maybe a good long walk or bike ride for exercise and to "clear out the cobwebs".
I'm certain that your parents planned this trip with your welfare in mind, which is why the relatives are coming by.
I look forward to your future postings during this upcoming week.
I hope it will be an adventure that you'll look back on with great fondness.
As you turn in tonight, you might want to think about a new light, possibly one of the new Surefires coming out.
Cheers bud. We're only a keystroke away."

PAB considered that,

"We don't know the whole story. With your average 24 year old the parents wouldn't arrange for relatives to come stay with him to make sure he was alright. My first thought was that he was "challenged" in some way. Multiple sclerosis? Wheel chair? Otherwise, why be scared? Why else have someone come stay with him? Perhaps I'm making unwarranted assumptions here,but I say +1 on what Empath said."

Icebreak responded with,

"Good point, PAB. …snip…

AMD64Blondie likes flashlights and likes this friendly community. He was just looking for some support from us, his online buds. I'm sure he knows his concerns might sound somewhat unusual but with Empath's approach, the considerations of many others, coupled with your considerations I believe we are resolving a more expanded view. It could be that he's just an extra sensitive soul.

Heck, I like you guys too. I can understand why he'd like to hang out with the group especially during this new and apparently stressful experience."

It would be great if AMD64Blondie could check in this week and get some good feedback from us. Maybe some more tips and good advice to add to the helpful comments of so many members. Humor can sometimes be a Risky Business but I'm sure he'd appreciate a little more of that as well.

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also like to add a comment, though I offer little help than has already been given.

See your folks absence as an adventure, let your hair down, do less tidying up (apart from the day they return when you will probably need do more!) break some small rules that you could never quite agree with, play some music at a slightly louder than comfortable volume, get up at 4am or sleep until 2pm, hell, leave the seat up for starters!:eek:oo:

If it get's a bit much you have a 24hour community..........at your service:grin2:.

Good luck.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't read the whole other thread but I could see it was going South. So thanks Icebreak for starting this one. My first reaction being an older guy and out on my own at a young age was similar to some others who got quite vocal in the thread. But then I really thought about it. So without judging AMD64Blondie - which is not my place to do - I could recall the feeling of being alone and on my own a first time. While it was mostly a feeling of thrill at having my own time to do whatever I could readily see how the sudden lack of being under your parents 'wing' might feel very uncomfortable. However ask yourself what is there to fear? If you are reasonably intelligent - and I assume you are if you are typing on a computer then you will probably be able to handle anything that comes along. I think perhaps it is the fear of being alone that you may have not dealt with - possibly fear of not having any controls in place - or fear of what you might do with your time. I'll just say DO NOT let FEAR (False Evidence Appearing Real) rule your life or this brief vacation from your parents. Look at all the good things about being alone and you may find you will really look forward to this situation. Crank up that TV as loud as you want or crank up the computer games extra loud. I could think of hundreds of things to suggest but you get the idea. Think of all the positives and don't let any of the negatives into your thoughts - and be diligent about that. Just keep things within reason - imagine you have a little parent sitting on your shoulder who won't really say anything but you can tell from his or her look (in your minds eye) if what you are doing is okay. Enjoy this time and have some FUN! - but keep it real and don't get yourself in trouble.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the help and support. (Also,thanks to Icebreak for splitting my previous thread and creating a new one,as the old one got out of control pretty fast.)

Burgess

Flashaholic
to IceBreak --

Good thread here. :thumbsup:

BTW, you seem to have my helpful suggestions
attributed to WorldEdit, also. :whistle:

and to AMD64Blondie --

Please feel free to let us know how things are going.

With all of these helpful suggestions,

some of 'em are just Bound to work !

:)
_

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burgess -

Corrected. Thanks for pointing that out. My apologies.

fnmag has been added.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow! I can't believe the whole thread (good parts) was re-created!

I didn't read much of the last thread so did not see it go into the toilet.

In any case, I'd say this is a great opportunity to "grow up" a bit, gain some self-confidence and branch out.

Have some friends over for a bit, it really helps make the home more friendly and welcoming. Also, take the opportunity to go out more to see other friends and check out new bars/restaurants etc.

Read some books, watch some cool movies. Talk on the phone!

If you find the silence a bit deafening, you could turn on some music or have the TV on in the background to fill in the void.

And of course, this allows you to try out your lights most of the night without your folks thinking your nuts!

:laughing:

Parents away? No worries, you'll handle it just fine, have some fun on your parental vacation!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you had to deal with it someday, today's the big day!
Myself, being 27 and still living with mom... or is it she lives with me... can't really be sure which way it is on that... I can understand some of your uncomfortable feelings. But you're going to have to deal with uncomfortable situations all your life. Years ago when grandma came out of the hospital and needed a bit of extra help at home, I moved out away from mom into grandma's apartment. It was a very weird 4 months of my life but it gave new experiences and new ways of looking at things. I had to deal with new problems and try new things that I would never have had to do or deal with. Looking back it allowed me to grow up a bit.
Hang in there and take the opportunity to see life in a new way. You'd be surprised just how much you are capable of doing for yourself. :thumbsup: