Spyderco Delica plain edge...Any comments?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at possibly getting a spydie delica plain edge. Does anybody have any input on this knife? Any reputable dealers to buy from (cheap as possible) i perfer the solid stainless over the zytel handle. I would even trade for one if some one has one they want to get rid of... Thanks.

TOB9595

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of spyderco. I have many of their product, all serrated. I'm losing my enchantment for the serrated and would highly recommend the delica plain edge.
I can open the spydies as fast as any auto or assist that I've seen. Doesn't take much to master the opening action.
I don't have any to trade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Why do you like the stainless over the zytel? No flame, I know it's personal pref. But I find the stainless Police to be slippery. Again just personal pref.
Tom

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just afraid that the zytel will start looking ratty after bounceing around on the keys... Has this been your expiernce? It should be strong though...

rycen

Enlightened
No need to worry about looking ratty at all.I have carried quie a few different models and never had a problem.Spyderco has an excellent warranty depot. and will even sharpen for free if you send the knike in.If you like the delica look for the "standard" basicly the same size and shape only it has a G10 handle(may be a litte tough in PE as it is discontinued)Collecting and using Spyderco makes flashlight take a backseat in my case.

bigcozy

Enlightened
I carried a zytel Endura for five years of HARD carry, broke the blade and reground it three times. It still is totally servicable, except the I broke the zytel clip. I recomend the newer model with the metal clip if you get zytel, much more durable. As for the steel, is looks great and feels like it is indestructable. But, is slippery and heavy. The zytel is so light you won't know you have it. Another thing about steel is that it looks fantastic when you get and after one carry, it will have scratches all over it.

G-10 and Micarta offer the good looks, toughness and durability without adding the weight, but are more expensive. I have owned one of almost every production knife and I always pick up a spyderco when there is actual work to be done, I am not even sure why. They are just more of working knife than most I guess. My EDC right now is a steel Spyderco Co pilot attatched to a Arc AAA.

beemerphile

Newly Enlightened
Zytel is a much better EDC than Stainless. I have both. Especially in loose-fitting (dress) pants, the stnls will beat you to death where the Zytel (FRN or whatever) will hardly be noticed. The Delica Plain is a great knife. Another one that is obsolete but sometimes available on the net is the Calypso Jr. I prefer it over the Delica. - Lee

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Bushman-

I highly recommend the Spyderco's - and I can assure you that after ten years of use, the zytel grip on my knives have survived some severe beatings (drops & scrapes) and they've all held up well in wear. My stainless is actually looking somewhat cheesy now with swirl and scratch marks showing up on the handle. Plus, as mentioned earlier, the zytel makes for a much better grip - but that's just my observations.

Now on the other hand, I try not to rely too much on the clips for the Spyderco's - I can't tell you how many knives I've lost relying on that darn clip... I mean, I really can't tell because I've lost count. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

-Jim

P.S. - by the way, all my blades are serrated and I just find the serrated edge to be easier to cut rope with. To be honest, I haven't given the plain edged series a legitimate try yet. If you do get the Delica plain edge, I'd be interested to read your review on it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

MicroE

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bushman said:....Any reputable dealers to buy from (cheap as possible).....

[/ QUOTE ]

Bushman---There are a LOT of reputable knife dealers out there and I think that somebody (are the moderators reading this?) should create a sticky database of knife and flashlight dealers in the Dealer section. A one stop thread for names and websites and phone numbers. CPF could even charge a small registration fee.

Anyway, here are some (in no particular order) that I have used with favorable results:

http://www.1sks.com Ask for Kevin.

http://www.johnfjensen.com Some Spydies at close-out prices.

http://www.knifecenter.com Big selection, website shows stock

http://www.newgraham.com Friendly service with good prices. Primary business is a pharmacy.

http://www.bulldogenterprises.com Douglass has GREAT CRK and other prices. Doug also runs a bailbond business, in case you are in need.

Happy Hunting---Marc

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
MicroE matter of fact I am reading this and I am a moderator in that forum!!! Thanks for the suggestion and I will take it under advisement! Thanks for the links. I actually talked to kevin today but about a different matter. Mike