Storacell
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to kill bed bugs?

Default Re: How to kill bed bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
    One way to know if its fleas is to put a candle in the center of a plate with soapy water, the fleas will be attracted by the heat and when they jump into it they will land on the soapy water and drown, easy to spot if they are in a plate.
    Can I use a flashlight on HIGH mode with 2 RCR123A 3.7V... you think it's hot enough to draw them out onto the soapy water? hahaha

^
    I wonder how many fleas would be "drawn to the flame"

A while back, I was messing around at a BBQ with WD-40 and an Aim N Flame (We started the charcoal with that) and I decided to quickly blast a crack in the concrete. Right after, I noticed hundreds of little tiny bugs jumping out of the crack. I pointed it out to my Uncle who said they were fleas. I blasted another spot about two feet away and sure enough, fleas started jumping out of there as well; drawn out by heat. I finally went up and down the entire length of the crack with the flamethrower until I nearly used up the whole can (and made the entire yard smell like diesel engine exhaust)

Even afterwards, there was still a small number of fleas jumping out of the crack. Soaking the remaining fleas with WD-40 (without burning it) seemed to be more effective.

Super Moderator

Funny thread!

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to burn that bed - I don't think there is any way of getting rid of bedbugs, if that is what they are (as carbine15 says, the bite pattern is distinctive).

I think Hitthespot's solution in post #29 could also prove fairly effective, lol!
    Resistance is futile...

The best way to check what they are is "I have it from good authority" If your mattress slides it's bugs! If it jumps up and down it's fleas,good luck lol.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

I've heard they'll die if you leave your matress and bedclothes for several hours in a sub-zero temperature (the colder the better). The adult ones die fast, but it takes hours for the eggs to die. Hmm, though that may have been for dustmites.

If all else fails, napalm works every time!

Quote Originally Posted by jinx626 View Post
    Arkayne... those are some big bedbugs. I didn't see any of those when changing my bedding... so it's a high chance it's fleas that's having me for their entree?

I had a really bad case of cat fleas - got everywhere - must have been 1000's. Tried everything from spraying the carpet with anti-flea spray, dusting, hoovering, etc. In the end the only thing that got them was a pretty toxic "crawling insect/ant killer" in liquid form in a spray (not aerosol). Hoovered first (remember to throw the bag away afterwards) then sprayed evenly everywhere (until the carpet was damp), in the corners and edges, under furniture and rugs, and left it to dry. Hoovered about a week later. Took a few days to completely eradicate them but that worked. Better than waking up in the middle of the night with about 20 having a "midnight feast". They are pretty easy to spot and are attracted to warmth - walk around with bare legs and you'll see them, they are about 2-3mm long, black and are very difficult to squash unless you get them between your finger nails. I wouldn't do this if you've got pets or intend sleeping on the floor within a few weeks. Maybe a carpet wash after 2-4 weeks if you've got a carpet washer.

Sprinkling salt down on the floor and the edges of the room may also work well, although don't do this in a humid environment or after it's just rained as it will soak up the moisture and make the carpet wet.

Look for evidence of bugs and try to identify them. Or call in the professionals.

Here is a flea entombed in sticky tape.

Last edited by Tubor; 02-21-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Keep in mind that if it is in fact fleas you must first control them on the animal or all other methods of trying to erradicate them will fail. There are proven methods you place on the animal which will kill fleas. As they die and more of them go from the carpet to the animal, they will die. In some cases (not all) treating the animal is all that is needed. Talk with your vet.

As Tudor stated, if you have them bad enough you can see them jumping as you walk across your carpet. Ankle bites are extremely common.

Bill
    Last edited by Hitthespot; 02-21-2008 at 07:24 AM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

*Flashaholic*

Am I the only one getting really itchy reading this thread?

For cat fleas Frontline works great. The two we have now had fleas when we took them in. Thankfully, we have no carpets and the fleas didn't infest the house before we spotted them. We applied the Frontline to both animals. Next day there were dead and dying fleas all over the floor. The killing action lasts long enough so that when any remaining eggs hatch, they die before they have a chance to mature and reproduce. If you have the patience to give the cat a bath, that'll kill a lot of fleas, too. You can pick them off with a tweezer as you're drying the animal, and put them in a dish of alcohol. That kills them instantly. Yes, they're almost impossible to kill by squashing.

Frontline is one of the proven methods and may in fact be the best. It will continue to kill fleas on the animal and in the house as the live fleas move back to the animal.

We only had to use it once but it completely cured our dog and the house. Best if used defensively, then the problem never becomes severe.

Bill
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Another +on the frontline.Awhile back I went to a empty flat to price a job it was invested with fleas no less,they sensed the warmth as I approached and must have had a gleeful look on their face as they anticipated the feast coming their way.

On returning home I notice I had carried on my clothes around 20 combatants with me,all eager to get to my flesh.On one occasion one attacked my chest,out came a few hairs "pretty quick" I can tell you!

I treated my dog that day with frontline,in reality they prefer animals to humans..anyway the next day there was no sign of them alive Phewfrontline had saved the day,the battle over I vacuumed up the casualties and burned the contents.
    BTW there were no survivors

(Frontline mans second best friend)
    Last edited by TITAN1833; 02-21-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add
    their shoes.

should I buy frontline and just place it under my bed? will that help? I am NOT going to wear frontline like I do with AXE!!!

1.) Identify what you have if anything (you could have been bitten somewhere else).
    2.) Figure out a strategy for getting rid of them

I think try the warm soapy water in a bowl and see what you get. Examine the bed, behind pictures, in corners, cracks (use your torch!). Try to catch (under a glass/jar) everything you can find and take a picture of it and identify it (post?). If you have a pet try to find out if it's got fleas and treat it as fleas will jump on the pet and then die.

Some info on bed bugs:
    http://www.bed-bug.net/aboutbedbugs.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbug

Fleas (usually "cat" fleas):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_flea

Various types of fleas:
    http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th5a.htm
    Last edited by Tubor; 02-21-2008 at 04:12 PM.

How to make a flea trap,

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Flea-Trap

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post

Make sure the bulb doesn't fall into the bowl of water or ZAP!!I wouldn't plug it in until you've secured it in position.

A shallow dish of water with a tea-light (candle) in the middle should also work well.

Diatomaceous earth sprinkled liberally into carpeting is also said to be a fairly effective remedy for fleas.

This material (sold as a whitish powder) has very tiny, sharp-edged particles that cut into the flea's exoskeleton, causing it to become dehydrated/desiccated (dried out); the dead insects can then be disposed of by vacuuming.
    Be certain to dispose of the vacuum cleaner bag in the outside garbage in case any live fleas got sucked up.

just to throw in some flea facts:apparently there are 2000 varieties,a female can lay 500 eggs and the biggest flea is 5mm long,so it seems there are plenty to go round
    on a biter note:they can be controlled
    I'll leave you with this little thought!

Big fleas have little fleas,
    Apon their backs to bite 'em,
    And little fleas have lesser fleas,
    and so, ad infinitum.

Have a great weekend,sleep tight and dont let those bedbugs bite
    their shoes.

Super Moderator

A CPF member called Titan
    Is trying his hardest to frighten:
    “Whether bedbugs or fleas,
    “You will catch a disease!
    “Good night & sleep tight & leave light on!”
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by jinx626 View Post
    I tried one time and spray my whole room and bed with raid, then leave it there for 3 days until it safe to sleep there again. I guess it worked for awhile.
    Raid is not very good these days. I recently emptied an entire can of raid into a bees nest with little effect. I reckon there must be new regulations on the chemicals allowed in fly spray. I seem to remember the old days where one small spray of Raid meant instant death.

Flashaholic*

Ah, recalling the days when Rolling Stone magazine was only about the culture of San Francisco and more importantly, mostly about rock & roll, they had an ad they used to run in the classifieds in the back of almost every issue, kind of a hip version of a Burma Shave ad:

"Craps & lice are not so nice,
    and nits are simply stupid.
    So take the cure that knocks 'em dead
    And gets you back to Cupid!
    A-200!"

But back on topic, once again I would suggest contacting the Cooperative Extension in your area -- just check the phone book. Good information that is free and has been tested, so you know it will work. Cooperative Extensions are government funded sources that work with colleges and universities that do the research. You're paying for the information with your tax dollars (one of a few good uses I guess), so use it! Whether fleas or bed bugs, what have you got to lose except the bugs? They'll probably be able to tell you how you can tell what it is that is feasting on you, too -- unless it really is an alien "probe."
    "Show them a light, and they'll follow it anywhere..."

Super Moderator

We've been given a reminder about the What is The Best Way To Get Rid of Mice thread, so we might as well revisit the bedbug thread as well, lol.
    Resistance is futile...