Novatac 120P or Surefire L1 Cree for a pocket light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxa beam

Banned
Title. I know the Novatac has higher output and such, but some of it, infact, quite a bit, is lost with the reflector, while the L1 has a TIR lens.

gunga

Flashaholic
You know, I realize the search here is a bit lousy, but you could at least try before posting a question that has been asked several times before...

:ohgeez:

Here is one that showed up when I used the google search.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169267

BTW, I tried both lights, like the 120P much better due to RCR123 use, beam pattern, smaller size, and flexibility.

Sorry If I'm being rude, it just gets kinda bothersome when the same questions shows up in some form too many times...

:duh2:

Last edited:

maxa beam

Banned
Sorry, didn't feel like shifting through oceans of Google results.

I'm kind of leaning towarda the Novatac aswell. I hear it has a brighter or equal throw and center beam with FAR superior spill. (Reflector, I'm guessing, does the trick.) The modes would be helpfull, too.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep, everything you said is correct.

Much better spill, smooth beam. Not a thrower (the L1 is more of a thrower) better at close range, more useful modes.

The L1 has better knurling, simple and reliable everything. Surefire tough too.

Draven451

Enlightened
Maxabeam

First :welcome:

I own both lights and in my experience the SF L1 Cree is just slightly to long and the head to bulky for comfortable EDC unless you would put yours in an oversized pocket or holster - I personally don't care for holsters so it would need to fit into dress pants or jeans.

Build quality on both lights is excellent and each has its own unique beam qualities. I would not worry about any loss of beam due to reflector design as you really will not notice.

Describing the beam of the SF I would call it a very large hotspot with a soft glowing halo around it - on low and high. Very useable on both levels but much to bright on low for certain occasions especially if you are trying to preserve night vision or not wake up a sleeping partner.

The beam on the 120P is smooth like silk with a very diffused hotspot that disolves into the corona of the light like a sweet puff of cotton candy:D Also with the ability to program 4 modes including disorienting strobe, emergency strobe and SOS, with a light output from .08 lumens to 120 lumens it offers a vast range of choices that can suit almost any lighting situation.

If I only had once choice it would be the 120P - Fortunately I don't so I own them both! :grin2:

maxa beam

Banned
I figured as much.

(By the way, while appreciated, the "Welcome to Candlepowerforums" wasn't needed. I've been around for a few years. Just more of a lurker. Check the join date.)
From what I saw, it has quite a bit more power, aswell. And that's what I need. I'll be using it outside at night to walk, and you can't really spot a mugger with a three inch diameter beam, no matter how intense or good of a thrower it is, lol.

And, to the CPFer above him, yeah. From what I've saw, beamshots and videos, the throw's not very far behind the L1, anyways.
As for durability, yeah. Surefires are great. But I think that both are, really. They both look like you could run 'em over with a tank and they'd work fine.

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ Both are made in the USA and come with a lifetime warranty. You will really like the 120P. Very nice light, tough as nails, and a very smooth beam(spot melts smoothly into the spill beam). Edit You get 4 presets that you can program from .08 lumens to 120 lumens, strobe,or SOS. Basically you can set it up any way you want it.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
SF L1 Cree is just slightly to long and the head to bulky for comfortable EDC
+1

I'll be using it outside at night to walk
For that purpose, the Surefire L4 is a top choice in a small light, or the 6P with M60 drop-in.

As Draven451 said, the beam on the 120P is an excellent combination of throw & spill. Really useful at any of the multiple output levels.

maxa beam

Banned
It won't be used exclusively for night walks, anyways, and the Novatac is a more powerful light, is it not? (Not to mention more versatile.)

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the L1 is a little underrated at 65 lumens but this is typical for Surefire. While the L1 is a fantastic light in every respect, I would choose the Novatac 120P over it with little if any hesitation.

Last year, I had both of them out on a backpacking trip and had a good chance to compare the beams. For me, the Novatac did a better job of illunination what I was looking at and it had the added benefit of 2 extra levels that were available.

To my recollection, the L1 did not out throw the Novatac by any meaningful margin.

Optik49

Enlightened
I have both well had both I sold the L1. because in my opinion the 120P was a better light hands down. I think the 120P has one of the best all around beams out there. I recently bought the E1B and I like it better than the L1 but just not better then my 120P. So you guessed it…… I bought a black 120P the other day.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both in their equal rights have their merits. Both are capable performers. Both are >USD100 and multiple stage lighting. I do not own any novatec but had a brief affair with an HDS previously and I did own both the L1 in Lux and cree versions until I bought the McLuxIII PD-s. One needs to try the models themselves and then can make the proper judgement. All the best in getting the right light for your needs.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like them both so much, that I EDC both. One is a thrower, and the other a smooth wall-o-light. The best of both worlds. How can you carry just one:shrug:

DM51

Flashaholic
maxa_beam, as gunga says in post #2, it is a good idea to do a search before starting a new thread, or we end up with several threads on the same topic and we just get confusion and cross-posting.

This very same topic is already being discussed in an existing thread, so I'll close this one and you can continue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.