Fenix L0D Aspheric possible?

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I don't recall seeing it, and not finding anything on searches, so wanted to ask.. Would it be possible to 'mount' an aspheric lens on a L0D, without modification?

Only problem is know the lens has to be a perfect distance from the emitter so it might not be possible, but perhaps. Ideally I could put it on when I want it.

The L0D is a great little floody light compared to my others, and with the 10440 it puts out a really nice wall of light, just be nice to focus that into a nice spot on demand.

EDIT: List of potential sources of aspheric lens:

• Dorcy 1 AAA(45 lumen version), gen 4 Review
  • LEDLenser (link, anyone? I keep finding 3AAA which seems too big)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
With the right sized optic, I don't see why not.

The Dorcy 1 AAA(45 lumen version) has an optic(review) and I do recall someone installing a hemispherical lens in a modded Ultrafire(?) AAA light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yes, I forgot about that. Reflector aspheric combination usually gives you an ugly beam pattern.

I would remove the reflector and either paint the insides white or have a white layer inside so some of the light is reflected and is redirected by the lens to form some kind of a spill.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lens that fits in the L0D's bezel will never throw exceptionally well. The die size is too large in relation to the lens for the light to collimate tightly.

If you're going to paint the insides white, you might as well leave the reflector in.

cv3po

Banned
Classic case of "why can't one light do it all?"

The LOD has a reflector of around 3/8". You just are not going to get a thrower out of that diameter of light. If you need an EDC that can throw, I suggest a CR123 sized light as these are about the minimum size for a good distance thrower. Good luck.................and keep the LOD!!!!

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Classic case of "why can't one light do it all?"

The LOD has a reflector of around 3/8". You just are not going to get a thrower out of that diameter of light. If you need an EDC that can throw, I suggest a CR123 sized light as these are about the minimum size for a good distance thrower. Good luck.................and keep the LOD!!!!

Well, if you see my signature, I have many more that throw well enough but it would be fun to be able to 'convert' the L0D to a thrower sometimes.

But I think it's not possible without modifying the entire light, which isn't what I want either.

bob4apple

Enlightened
I took out the aspheric lens from a "gen4 spot Dorcy" tonight, and stuck it over the end of my mag Solitaire, (It fits if you put a piece of tape on the Solitaire's bezel). I used only the clear plastic lens, which separates from the white plastic that holds it in the Dorcy.
Lo and behold, it throws better and the rest of the beam looks nicer, too. I should mention here that I have the ArcMania Super MJ LED in my Solitaire.

Anyway, I'm thinking that the lens might also fit on the end of your Fenix for the times when you just gotta have a little more throw.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont live in an area that has dorcys on sale, anyone care to send me one, ill pay?

Crenshaw

jbviau

Enlightened
Sorry, Crenshaw--no luck. My Target didn't have any AAA Dorcy lights. Maybe someone else could try?

mighty82

Enlightened
The reflector in the l0d head isn't a problem is it? The front part of the head in front of the emitter can be unscrewed just like the rest of the head. You can have 2 of those and munt an aspheric lens in one of them. Then you can change between reflector and aspheric all day long, if you feel like it. I allready tried holding an aspheric lens in front of the l0d without the lens part, and it seemed to work fine.

kts

Enlightened
I just tried to hold the aspheric lens from a ledlenser in front of my lod, it projected a perfect image of the die, the size seems to fit, its made of glass too :naughty:

But to get the right focus you would need some kind of tube to hold the lens in place :thinking:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, Crenshaw--no luck. My Target didn't have any AAA Dorcy lights. Maybe someone else could try?

Thats alright, thanks for the gesture though...:)
maybe ill post a wtb for one..

this is starting to get interesting.Khaytsus could you maybe keep a running list at the top of lights with aspheric lenses that might fit the LOD?

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Thats alright, thanks for the gesture though...:)
maybe ill post a wtb for one..

this is starting to get interesting.Khaytsus could you maybe keep a running list at the top of lights with aspheric lenses that might fit the LOD?

Crenshaw

Sure, I'll go through the thread and start listing in the first post. I haven't gotten out this weekend to look for the Dorcy light myself or I'd be trying it :)