Recommend me a mulit-tool

IcantC

Enlightened
So hello fellows, I had my heart set on the new Skeletool. Just since I needed a minimal tool. Major use will not really be much, just carried daily for law enforcement. I started looking around and saw no real benefit to the Skeletool.

So with that said, what would you recommend? It should be decently priced, reliable and good warranty. I guess my range is max $100... I started looking at the Charge ALX(due to seatbelt cutter) and then saw the Charge TTI... Then I saw the Wave, which seemed like it would get most done and I can carry a dedicated seatbelt cutter(usually use a knife, but sometimes that can "scare" people).

As mentioned, I have no specific use. The pliers always come in handy, along with the screw drivers and blades. Also it MUST have locking action.

Thanks!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my leatherman wave, but I hear a lot of complaints about the new version of the wave (I don't know exactly why). I use the pliars, screwdrivers, one of the blades and the scissors almost every day. I had a black nylon belt pouch but the velcro wore out in about two years so I switched to a brown leather one with a snap. I've sent it back to leatherman to have it repaired as I used the small screwdriver to pry something. They sent it back sharpened, lubed up and in great condition (though I hear their warranty is no longer lifetime, but limited to 20 years for free repairs like mine).

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best value in multiools is the Victornox Swisstool Spirit, at around $50 shipped on amazon. Very well made, slick chrome-like surface. However, the saw and file and somewhat thin and bendy.

The Wave is one of the most popular. Probably my favorite, though I cannot articulate why. Good all around multi. Comes with nylon or leather belt sheath, depending.

The SOG is bigger, and built like a bank vault. But unlike the other two, you have to open up the handles to access the tools. You can also take it apart and rearrange the tools, which you cannot do on the others.

For giggles, stick a Leatherman P4 on your keychain. You may not want a larger multitool after that.

Peace be with you.

Dantor

Enlightened
I agree with Powernoodle, if weight is an issue, I'd recommend the Vic Spirit, it fits your hand great, lifetime warranty, good selection of tools;

if weight is not issue and the ability to arrange/buy the tools you want (including nice seat belt cutters) I'd recommend a SOG.

Dantor

Enlightened
here are some pics with a quarter and AA battery;
10nhvsk.jpg

2pqswtj.jpg

jufam44

Enlightened
I've carried a wave for a year or so now, and never regretted it. It's amazing that the time i don't have it is the time it would've come in handy. (Murphy's Law.) Buy a wave, you won't regret it.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the Leatherman Surge. Its actually tougher than the previous
models but also heavier. It has stronger scissors and a longer blade

Marduke

Flashaholic

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I have a Charge TTi and it's fantastic.
+1 for the Charge Ti. I just picked it up last week after reading several reviews and forums on multitools. It has a good combination of tools that I think would be useful. Also, the holster is reasonably sized and the bits for the screwdriver fit neatly in the holster - nice package overall.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the now discontinued Charge Ti not long ago for under $100. I really like it, more features than my 1st gen Wave and a great set of included implements. It is a little too large and heavy to carry with me all the time, but I think I will find myself using it quite a bit.

IcantC

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I finally ordered the Swistool after going back and forth between that and the Leatherman.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Thanks guys, I finally ordered the Swistool after going back and forth between that and the Leatherman.

My first multi tool is a leatherman surge, I really like it, but sometimes just a tad big for minimal edc. I'm thinking of getting a lighter smaller one. Can you give me a review on your swisstool? I'm contemplating whether to get this or a leatherman kick.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
My first multi tool is a leatherman surge, I really like it, but sometimes just a tad big for minimal edc. I'm thinking of getting a lighter smaller one. Can you give me a review on your swisstool? I'm contemplating whether to get this or a leatherman kick.

I am sure others can give a better review but the Spirit is an excellent tool and it fits nicely in a pocket. It is the same length as the Kick, but is a bit heavier, roughly 7 vs. 5 oz. The Spirit sports more useful tools, has a much nicer feel, and a locking mechanism, but it is about twice the price of a Kick. Leatherman makes quality tools, but Victorinox won't leave you lacking.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've been carrying a Leatherman since '88 and my hands down favorite is the Wave, of which I'm on my 3rd one now.

For me it's a part of my daily life, make one part of yours!