NEW LED LANTERN FROM BLACK DIAMOND

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I like the collapsible design and frosted globe and would like to see some run times when it becomes available in March. No mention of regulation. It's fairly expensive at $50.00.

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
Those legs look kind of wobbly to me, but I like the frosted globe. Can't wait to see some more pics. Anyone want to hazard a guess about which LED it uses?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A couple of the features (dimmer switch and battery level indicators) make me wonder if it's made by Coast/LedLenser. The price is also in the same ballpark as their old 4AA model, which was a nice lantern. Look for Target to start carrying these under the Eddie Bauer name for about $30.

Geoff

jufam44

Enlightened
Looks kinda neat...I think a homebrew solution could be found to best it, but for a commercial product, why not?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one of this. It's much better than my other Cree based LED lantern. I have many Cree based 4AA lanterns. Most of them have same problems - too much artifact and become annoying on field and switching off the light require cycle through all modes.

Apollo doesn't have any artifact at all that make it a real usable LED light. It also has variable brightness control (like NDI) that you could pick your preferred brightness. Simply press the switch will turn it on/off. Holding the switch will go from bright to low then back to bright. When the light hit the max or lowest, it blinks to remind you. Besides, it has a tiny color LED to remind you of the battery situation.

It's not as bright as other Cree based lantern but I definitely pick this one whenever I need a small lantern.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know. To view the LED, it needs to be disassembled by unscrewing the top cap. It's screwed directly into plastic and don't know how reliable by screwing and unscrewing from plastic.

I heard that DB started using Cree on latest/revised headlamp, I "guess" they would use Cree on this as well. It doesn't make sense to purchase LED from different vendors and it might weaken its purchase bargaining power.

The leg is very solid and sturdy. The bottom of the legs are wrapped in sticky rubber (silicone?). It won't move around even on uneven or slippery surface. Because of the legs, the light source was much higher than comparable 4AA lantern and make it more usable.

Alan

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked bdel and they told me that The Apollo does use a Cree

Flashlight Enthusiast
can anyone tell me how long it takes to charge, my has been at yellow for about two hours still no green

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
I just happened upon this light at REI, not 45 minutes ago. It is very nicely built and seems sturdy on its feet. Doesn't seem water resistant on quick inspection. The dimmer is nice. Hard to tell its beam radiation pattern in the store, but it was smooooth. The REI spec sheet says 1hr runtime on high...$50. I passed on it today.....today, that is.

edit : bdel says max bat life is 60 hours, that must be on full dim.
no info on regulation.

Last edited:

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just happened upon this light at REI, not 45 minutes ago. It is very nicely built and seems sturdy on its feet. Doesn't seem water resistant on quick inspection. The dimmer is nice. Hard to tell its beam radiation pattern in the store, but it was smooooth. The REI spec sheet says 1hr runtime on high...$50. I passed on it today.....today, that is.

edit : bdel says max bat life is 60 hours, that must be on full dim.
no info on regulation.

While I haven't fully tested its runtime, I can assure that it definitely runs many hours on high. The lantern doesn't drive its cree hard (that's why it's not as bright as other Cree based lantern), 4AA would provide enough juice to sustain many hours on its so-called high.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
it gives off a good amount of light and its better that it isn't driven to bright so it last longer

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
so guys, how is the beam dispersion? Does it go very much out above and below horizontal??
Also, can you tell if it is regulated?

edit: lithium AA's ok for this light?

Last edited: