Banning of dealers and Manufacturers in CPF?!??

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha put the following banner
"NOTICE!!
As of April 1st, product announcements and specials will no longer be allowed in this forum.
Dealers, distributors and manufacturers who are CPF sponsors, please post your specials and announcements in the Dealer's Corner or Manufacturer's Announcements Forums. Non-commercial business transactions between individual CPF members can be posted in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum.
Dealers, distributors and manufacturers who wish to become a CPF sponsor, please contact me at
[email protected]"

I am intrigued about this, so this means we wont see anymore of Mrbulk´s brilliant ideas, or AB´s or lamda´s or Electrolumen´s and the list of great modders goes on? the reviews, the mods etc.? What will happen to the open forum where manufacturers recieved endless advise about their flashlights?

Gosh! hope I am reading wrong or this is going to get boring, what´s up? please explain!

Thnx!
Alex

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Banning of dealers and Manufacturers in CPF?!?

This is talking meerly about Sales. No more free advertising for dealers and manufacturers. I'm not sure where modders like Lambda and Mr.Bulk stand, they're in a grey area.

snuffy

Enlightened
Applies to dealers, distributors and manufacturers I believe. Not "modders".
I could be wrong, it's late /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

and it doesn't mean James meyer can't say "How should I imprive the PALight" it means that if he isn't paying for ad space, he can't say "All CPF members get 20% off PALights this week"

Darell

Flashaholic

It's all good...

The main idea is that all *selling* threads by dealers will be confined to the dealer forum.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

This was addressed somewhere and modders are to go to B/S/T. I think it was David who said those who are contribting members are allowed "commercial" time. If there are any qestions I think you are sposed to contact David.

Please forgive the u's bad keyboard on laptop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Monsters_Inc

Banned

Perhaps the dealers and manufacturer's forums should be renamed to "Friends of CPF" or Sponsors or something perhaps more appropriate to reflect the intended situation.

CiTY

Enlightened

Does this mean that Non-advertising-sponsoring entities can not post any ads?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AlexGT said:
Sasha put the following banner
"NOTICE!!
As of April 1st, product announcements and specials will no longer be allowed in this forum.
Dealers, distributors and manufacturers who are CPF sponsors, please post your specials and announcements in the Dealer's Corner or Manufacturer's Announcements Forums. Non-commercial business transactions between individual CPF members can be posted in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum.
Dealers, distributors and manufacturers who wish to become a CPF sponsor, please contact me at
[email protected]"

I am intrigued about this, so this means we wont see anymore of Mrbulk´s brilliant ideas, or AB´s or lamda´s or Electrolumen´s and the list of great modders goes on? the reviews, the mods etc.? What will happen to the open forum where manufacturers recieved endless advise about their flashlights?

Gosh! hope I am reading wrong or this is going to get boring, what´s up? please explain!

Thnx!
Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a look at this thread, should answer your questions/concerns.

Greta

Flashaholic
Alex,

I put that header in two of CPF's forums. Actually, I think you are confusing terminology. A forum is a sub-category on the Main Index page of this bulletin board. The categories of this bulletin board are (for example) General Flashlight, Non-Flashlight Lights, Off Topic, etc. The sub-categories, or forums, are (for example) Homemade and Modified Lights, Lanterns, Reviews, The Cafe, etc.

So now that we're clear on terminology, read what I posted again. I don't think that it is unreasonable to ask that those who are making money from sales on CPF, contribute a bit back. So far, all of our sponsors have been more than happy to make a donation in exchange for advertising space. For their donation, they have been given exclusive rights to advertise. Why should someone who isn't contributing to the maintenance and upkeep of CPF be allowed the same privileges of those who don't? We think that this new policy is more than fair to everyone and so far, so do they. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks to all who have become CPF sponsors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
Hi,

Just wanted to say that this new policy is pretty standard practice. I think generally dealers/manufacturers have been well behaved at CPF, but things could quickly get out of hand without a policy like the one to be established.

Good job!

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
CiTY said:
Does this mean that Non-advertising-sponsoring entities can not post any ads?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you wish to post a non-commercial "ad" (better term would be "announcement") that would be a private transaction between individual members of CPF, that would go in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
This is talking meerly about Sales. No more free advertising for dealers and manufacturers. I'm not sure where modders like Lambda and Mr.Bulk stand, they're in a grey area.

[/ QUOTE ]

They would post in Buy/Sell/Trade as they are not commercial at this time. I would hope that when and if their status changes, they would contact me to become a CPF sponsor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
They would post in Buy/Sell/Trade as they are not commercial at this time. I would hope that when and if their status changes, they would contact me to become a CPF sponsor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Wayne (aka ElektroLumens) new sponsor of CPF and full time flashlight tycoon. Now if we can just get Charlie (Mr. Bulk) and Kevin (Lambda) to go full time ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pat

lightnix

Enlightened

Erm... would this recent "dash for profitablity" have anything to do with the explosion of USA-generated spam in my inbox in the last week or so ? Or am I being paranoid ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, I doubt it. It isn't so much a dash for profitability as a walk/jog for breaking even.

Check here for the facts: This Space For Rent! .

Given David and Sasha's attitudes, I cannot believe they would ever sell CPF'ers e-mail addresses.

Pat

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mr_Sesmesesles said:
Erm... would this recent "dash for profitablity" have anything to do with the explosion of USA-generated spam in my inbox in the last week or so ? Or am I being paranoid ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

CPF is a non-profit board owned by DavidW and run solely for the benefit of its members, The banner adds are required simply to pay for the huge amount of bandwidth we use.

LED-FX

Enlightened

Cross post from Suggestions , Ill leave it to a moderator to see where it belongs ;-)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely understand that CPF has grown larger and now has running costs that must be taken care of, however, is it in everyones best interests to limit product announcements to only those companies who wish to continue with banner advertsing?

From the point of view that CPF is where many turn to as their news feed for what is new in LED land.

Some manufacturers, dealers and observers may only wish to inform people of new product once, as part of a publicty campaign or for public relations.

These products may not be entirely aimed at the flashlight market or they may feel that the largely U.S. demographic of CPF would not warrant a banner campaign.

They may be manufacturers not equipped to supply to retail customers but nonetheless wish to infrom the public at large of their new product while distribution channels are appointed.

There are products where the first I learned of them, was from CPF, Freelight is one that springs to mind.

Banning all but paying advertisers from making overt product announcements I fear may have a couple of negative effects.

One, the greatest danger, is that manufacturers will no longer feel their input is valued at CPF, a loss to everyone.

The other is less scrupulous `advertisers` will employ other tactics to place their product. Spurious reccomendation`s in Cheers and Jeers for instance.

Perhaps the rules could be adjusted allowing manufacturers a single new product announcement thread, allowing them to announce a new product and answer any questions from CPF members.Beyond that their are moderators available and authorised to remove multiple announcements or spamming across the board.

Not speaking from any commercial self interest, my involvement with LEDs is generally not at the consumer end of things, but with genuine and great concern that only allowing paid for advertisers air time may have far reaching and unpredictable effects that will negatively impact CPF as a whole.

Adam

Sabby points me to this and other thread, my reply:

Yup Sabby, already have, none of my points appear to have been already considered, they may well have but are not answered in either of those threads.

Perhaps I should continue this thread in the Cafe, I`ll post it there as well and you delete the one that you feel is in wrong place.

Ta
Adam

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

CPF email addresses are never for sale. But some have been culled from the board in the past. Mostly from the profiles. Sometimes from spiders. If someone has figured out how to get them out of threads I wouldn't be surprised.

Don't worry about product announcements. I'm already on it. After the policy was finalized I realized it squashes the little guy before he/she can get started. And I realized not all manufacturers/dealers want to put up a banner ad just to advertise a new product or announce a special. I'm thinking of a one time use fee. When Sasha is through with jury duty I'll get her input. She's more business minded than I am. She used to run a travel agency.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

P.S. The new rules are in place to protect those who choose to advertise on CPF. It does not make sense to charge someone for ad space while giving another person a free pass.