CPF History, found my first mod :D

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
While on vacation not long ago I had an opportunity to wear a sport coat that I haven't worn in years. In the pocket I found, forgotten these many years, my very first CPF inspired mod :D

in a mag solitaire 2 5mm white led's soldered in series and the leads fed into the old bi-pin socket. The battery replaced with a 12v garage door transmitter battery and a wad of tin foil to make it fit as it's quite a bit shorter than a regular AAA. Thost 12v batteries had so much internal resistance that they really didn't overdrive the series leds much at all.

Battery was dead, but it brought back some serious memories of the early days when you could fairly easily build something that was an order of magnitude better than any of the commercially available lights! It was ludicrously bright compared to the stock bulb and in the year that I carried it I dont think I had to change the battery... I think i'll pick up a new one now for it though just to see if it still works :D

Anybody remember building those? I recall the instructions were posted on the board. Searching brings back several threads talking about them, but can't find the actual how-to. This was even before the ArcAAA!