Pocket EDC: Emerson CQC-7 vs Mini Grip Tanto

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im looking for a nice pocket knife while I wait for the Skeletool CX to come out,

anyone have thoughts on these two knives? I know the grip is a favorite here. I like the wave opening feature on the CQC.

Would it be fair to say the Griptilian = Fenix of knives?

Also can someone recommend a web retailer?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CQC-7 is going to be much larger than the Mini Grip. The Grip gives more options in blade steel and handle color. If you like the size of the Mini Grip but want a wave, check out Spyderco's Waved Delica. If possible, try to handle both knives before buying to get an idea of what they feel like in the hand and pocket. Many times that is the single deciding factor between two knives. And while it's not a direct comparison, I'd say Benchmade in general is more like SureFire than Fenix.

Edit: If it's not too much of a hassle, take a field trip to Costa Mesa and check out Plaza Cutlery. Damn good selection of knives plus some lights as a bonus.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the recommendations for both the BM Mini-Grip and New Graham Knives. I just bought my 2nd Mini-Grip, had the first one for two to three years. Great little knies and NGK is a great place to buy from.

mgeoffriau

Newly Enlightened
Mini-Griptilian will probably be finished nicer. Axis lock is strong but also has more parts. Liner lock (properly done) is strong and simple.

If you decide you like the CQC-7 but it's too big, they do make a Mini CQC-7.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies...Thankfully a few members that will be attending the CPF get together will have a MiniGrip for me to check out. I've been to Plaza Cutlery for kitchen knives, but recently seen that they had a impressive collection online.

Will be checking out that waved delica after this post.