D Mag switch questions/suggestions

ambientmind

Enlightened
I'm building a light out of a 3d mag, and I'm trying to figure out if it will handle 6-7 amps in stock form. I've searched and searched, and some people say it will handle only 5 amps, and some up to 12. If it can't handle 6-7 amps, what would be my alternatives? thanks in advance!

Jenova

Enlightened
Use Jimmy's Soft Start with a mag d Switch, im pretty sure it will be able to handel at least 15amps

Dont think he has anyfor sale atm but a batch #3 should be coming

ambientmind

Enlightened
this is going to be an led build, so a soft starter would not be of any use to me. thanks though!

Use Jimmy's Soft Start with a mag d Switch, im pretty sure it will be able to handel at least 15amps

Dont think he has anyfor sale atm but a batch #3 should be coming

Jenova

Enlightened
What type of LED build pulls 7 amps ???

I know for a fact that the switch can handel 5 amps herd that everywhere

But never herd of it handeling 12 ??

ambientmind

Enlightened
its (hopefully) going to be a ridiculous light! 6-7 amps will be on hi, so i guess i need a different switch. any ideas?:confused:

sylathnie

Enlightened
I am currently pulling a little over 10amps (15VDC) through mine. I first replaced the lower spring and contact with a copper rivet. I then used another's ingenious suggestion (I can't find the thread now of course :shrug: )to put a thin film of solder over the entire little tiny gold ring in the center of the switch mechanism. (I also had to drill the switch out a tiny bit so the enlarged ring would fit back into the switch and move smoothly) I have also installed on of Kiu's sockets so that gets rid of the highly resistive spring.
The biggest problem I have now is that it is extremely difficult to get the solder smooth and therefore I am getting quite a bit of arcing. I'm considering heating it back up and spinning it slowly on a drill while it cools to try and get a smooth and consistent surface.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am currently pulling a little over 10amps (15VDC) through mine. I first replaced the lower spring and contact with a copper rivet. I then used another's ingenious suggestion (I can't find the thread now of course :shrug: )to put a thin film of solder over the entire little tiny gold ring in the center of the switch mechanism. (I also had to drill the switch out a tiny bit so the enlarged ring would fit back into the switch and move smoothly) I have also installed on of Kiu's sockets so that gets rid of the highly resistive spring.
The biggest problem I have now is that it is extremely difficult to get the solder smooth and therefore I am getting quite a bit of arcing. I'm considering heating it back up and spinning it slowly on a drill while it cools to try and get a smooth and consistent surface.

I can't really tell, but it sounds like the solder and ring may not be getting hot enough.

ambientmind

Enlightened
i'll have to try that! it sounds like a good idea, just beefing up whats already there. have you tried using a blow torch to heat up the solder and ring? that might make it all heat and cool more evenly to get a nice smooth coat on it. i'm not sure how small that ring is, but don't heat it up too much or the solder may not stick to it again.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Look in the incan forum or do a search for the juco switch. I got mine from Digikey for a couple of bucks (part number 512PB-ND). They are 10 Amp switches and all you do is dremel the crap out of your old switch, then fit the new one in by press fit or after you get it where you want.....epoxy it.

Some of the incan guys have used rocker switches too. I like the Juco push button ones because you can get it installed, then sand down the pushbutton part so that you can then slide it up the tube.

Bob E.