Power consumption of PC setup?

frosty

Enlightened
Title says at all really.

I am trying to establish the combined power consumption in Watts of my PC /screen /speakers / printer.

I have looked for the figures on the labels stuck on the back of the individual items, but they don't have the information.

I normally leave my PC on all day and I am starting to think it uses more electricity than I thought. Turning it off just for a couple of hours a day could really save some money over the year. Currently we pay 12p per KWhr.

Thanks for any thoughts.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Each item should have the nominal power consumption on its label, I don't know why yours do not. However, these labels often list consumption for one general set of conditions, so yours may draw more or less.

A good way to measure is to buy a Kill-a-watt meter like this.

BTW, how much is 12p in Euro or US$?

frosty

Enlightened
Thanks for the link. I've not seen anything like that before. I will have to see if I can get something similar here in the UK.

12p is about 24 cents. It's a lot.

worldedit

Enlightened
My PC consumes about 50W being at the low end. A normal PC might need 80-120 depending on what CPU, power supply and # of hard drives you got. The other things will have a power supply build in which may take about 10W or more in idle. A normal size display might take 20-30W, double for common monitor.

Tubor

Enlightened
A meter is the only way to tell how much they are actually using, the figure on the labels is usually the maximum.

frosty

Enlightened
Thank-you all for your advice.

I'm not too bothered about getting an exact figure for my power consumption. But you have given me a ballpark figure which is appreciated.

It actually appears as though my PC uses less power than I initially thought.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I have a Valhalla 2100 Digital Power Analyzer. They are obsolete now, I think list price was $2K. They are available used for $700-$800. When I saw the Kill-a-Watt meter, I could not believe it was anything but a $20 piece of junk. But I was wrong. I bought one and it matches the expensive meter watt-for-watt. Simply amazing. If you have $20 to spare and a mild curiousity about how much power your toys are consuming, the Kill-a-Watt will tell all.