Under $4,000 supercomputer project!

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
Greetings!

This article in eSchool News spells it all out: a professor got tired of waiting for supercomputer time and bought 8 Sony PlayStation 3 consoles as the basis for his own supercomputer! Is Professor Khanna a cool guy, or what?

http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top...;_hbguid=8a84d434-23c3-4d13-b006-4af931ec2675

I've seen PS3 consoles out there for what seems like a very reasonable price, especially if I can use one as a home workhorse running Yellow Dog Linux with Open Office. Given what I do with home computers: mainly Web browsing, email, word processing and Web design, a PS3 might be a very good choice for me. The use of the console for games would be secondary (or even tertiary), after its use as a Linux machine and as a Blu-Ray DVD player with a very large screen...

The PS3 is probably somewhat limited in flexibility, but it's compact, powerful, seems reasonably priced and would do almost everything I'm currently using a computer for. I can certainly get a computer for Linux cheaper, but would I have as much fun with something else?

Regards,
Dirty Bob