Question for Private Pilots

Carpenter

Enlightened
I friend of mine is currently obtaining his VFR license :thumbsup: I would like to buy him a SF A2 as a present for obtaining that license however, what color is best?

White = No
Red = Possibility
Blue = No
Green = Possibility
Y/G = Maybe the right one?

What color is the older Cessna's instrument panel lights? He is currently flying a 172.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Red has always been the old school choice for night vision preservation. However, I hear green is good for that too. My VW Touareg bathes the entire center console in a warm red glow, as well as the instruments and it's very nice.

:wave:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't been behind a 172 panel in a long time, isn't it red lighted? At the time, I used one of those Mini mag style 'pilot' lights that has the red/white light push/pull bezels you get through aviation catalogs.

Now, I might look at the White/Red LED Quiklites made for cops that sticks in your shirt pocket. Red is fine for most things, but for reading a chart, white might be the better choice.

Surefire A2 might be too bright with three LEDs.

BVH

Flashaholic
The 70's vintage of 172 and 150/152 used an overhead red light that projected onto the panel. Seems like it was just over the pilots head or slightly behind and in the center btw the seats.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Most pilots carry a light in their flight bag or should. Pre-flight checks in low light conditions are one of the main reasons. The other main reason is nighttime navigation. Most of the pilots I know want very specific things out of their lights. Most pilots use green or red and they have very specific reasons for picking either color. My dad is a CFI and he prefers green, but has used red on occasion. He said that the green helped him to see better in most cases, red was not bright enough to him. Another light that is far less expensive, but might be just as useful is the Streamlight Clipmate with green LEDs. It's plenty bright and has a clip that allows you to angle the light to whatever position you need. The main thing I have learned over the years flying with my dad is that built in cockpit lights in the plane are almost useless. Since my dad has been instructing VFR students lately, he encourages them to bring their own light that works for them. He brings along a green or red fauxton so that he can double check things while the student is flying and not interfere with the student's night vision.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've talked with a co-worker, who has a license. His recommendation was Red, exclusively. Green appears brighter, but also destroys your night vision. Makes sense to me.

The only other problem is reading maps with color coding, which happens with all colored light.

tradderran

Newly Enlightened
I friend of mine is currently obtaining his VFR license :thumbsup: I would like to buy him a SF A2 as a present for obtaining that license however, what color is best?

White = No
Red = Possibility
Blue = No
Green = Possibility
Y/G = Maybe the right one?

What color is the older Cessna's instrument panel lights? He is currently flying a 172.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Red is the only way when you fly.:candle:
Pilot of 20+ years exp Now use SF A2 with red leds

Last edited:

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
Another pilot checking in: Maybe I am a strange one, but I prefer white. I can't stand red, green or any other colors. I like my color rendition. Each to his own though. If the white light is dim enough, it won't affect your night vision. I currently use an arc 4 on the lowest setting. (or the airplane's map light - it was built with white map lights and white flood lights).

For a walkaround you want a bright white light.

I am a commercial pilot and have been flying for about 9 years, so I so have some experience.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't pilots required to have a flashlight by FAA regulations? At least at night?

Carpenter

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone. So far it looks like Red is pulling away. I'm afraid getting an A2 with the White LED's may be too bright especially for close up work

The A2 does have a SF 60 lumens rating for the incan bulb which is more than strong enough for a walkaround at night.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fairly high time private pilot but grounded myself years ago when my vision started failing. Have owned 3 Cessnas, the last a 182. Two had combo white/red floods and one had individual red gauge lighting. I alway preferred a low white light for charts and cockpit. A bright white light for preflight is a must.

I've never thought a high degree of dark adaptation was a huge deal in the cockpit anyway, but, as in anything, a bright light in a dark environment can be severely annoying and distracting.

Probably the A2 white/red would be my choice if I could have only one light as a pilot.

Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
RED. Definitely. Green is ok, but it still reduces night vision far more than red.. Also, the longer wavelength of red, the better..