Sharpening serrated blades.

gadagain

Newly Enlightened
What is the best way to efectively sharpen a spyderco serrated blade ?

gadagain

Newly Enlightened
Thanks you all. I am searching for a more professional system. I haven´t too much hand habilities to use those systems that depend on your knowledgment to achieve a good result.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
The Sharpmaker only depends on your ability to hold the knife straight. one of the simplest ones on the market.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome Vid Jeff!:thumbsup: I've been looking for a EDC knife, and was worried about keeping it sharp. However I just joined bladeforums, and the SpyderCo line is looking nice! (nice steel, G10/CF and the thumbhole) Now I just need to decide on whether I need a semi-serrated ParaMilitary model or straight edge:ohgeez:

Mayo

cutlerylover

Banned
awesome Vid Jeff!:thumbsup: I've been looking for a EDC knife, and was worried about keeping it sharp. However I just joined bladeforums, and the SpyderCo line is looking nice! (nice steel, G10/CF and the thumbhole) Now I just need to decide on whether I need a semi-serrated ParaMilitary model or straight edge:ohgeez:

Mayo

Thanks! Well you can't go wrogn with the para military...:twothumbs

In any version, hahaha, there are a few vids on them on youtube if you do a search...

p.s.

cutlerylover

Banned

Mayo

Thanks! Well you can't go wrogn with the para military...:twothumbs

In any version, hahaha, there are a few vids on them on youtube if you do a search...

p.s. I usualy go for plain edge just due to the ease of sharpening...most peopel argue a sharp plain edge can do whatever you need a serrated blade to do... :grin2:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
p.s. I usualy go for plain edge just due to the ease of sharpening...most peopel argue a sharp plain edge can do whatever you need a serrated blade to do... :grin2:

I found this in a review of different steels:

http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/blade_materials.html#S_H1

It sounds like the serrated blades have their moments.

"The Alantic Salt, which has a SpyderEdge profile, used carpet: out cut a plain edged S30V blade slicing used carpet The Alantic Salt was also used for some very heavy cutting, slicing up a steel belted tire and readily outperformed several plain edged knives in various hard and high wear steels. "

"Frank k (Bladeforums handle) also compared H1 to VG-10 on cardboard and found a large difference between the plain edged blades, multiples times more material cut with the VG-10 knife for both plain edged blades to have the same level of blunting. However the serrated edges cut for so long it was not possible to determine the superority of either."

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah H1 is a really weird one. Someone did a test on the edge and found the plain edge has hrc of 57ish but the serrated edge have hrc of over 60. No one has any good explaination, I wonder since this test was only done once, could it due that one serrated was heat treated differently.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they mention that too in the article:

"Spyderco's H1 blades have tested in hardness at 58 on the spine for both plain and SpyderEdge versions and 65 HRC on the edge of the plain edge version and 68 HRC on the edge of SpyderEdge model which has been proposed to be due to work hardening."

Sounds like if they throw enough blade designs at it, H1 will eventually find a nice home for itself.

Latest posts