Trimming Your Dog's Nails

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This has always been a hassle, and recently I saw an infomercial for the "Peticure" which uses a shielded Dremel grinding drum...and after using it 3 times over the last 6 weeks, I heartily endorse it. Make sure you look at the videos online, and only use for 3-4 seconds on 3-4 speed setting.

I wish they had this years ago.

Last edited:

shakeylegs

Enlightened
My dachshound has graduated to the big bone yard beyond, but I still live in fear!!!!!!!!! Natasha. . . . . . .time to clip your . . .ok, ok, maybe later:eek:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just watched the video, and I've never seen so many closeups of doggie paws in my life. :D That looks pretty awesome! Our dog is pretty skittish - how's the noise? Do you know what kind of battery it uses (chemistry, accessible/swappable)?

And, of course, what kind of dog or cat do you have? :)

Groundhog66

Banned
I have been using a cordless Dremel for a few years now, much safer than clipping. They still hate it of course, but I highly recommend it.

Tim

Numbers

Enlightened
I still use a regular clipper, the best (most expensive) one I could find.
Once a week I just clip the "hook" off. I never go back for a second cut on the same nail if I dont get as much off as I wanted to on the first cut. Just leave it alone until the next week. Cant remember the last time I saw any blood. Since the dog, a lab, gets a bone after nail clipping she actually looks forward to it and is very cooperative.
Seems like the dremel technique would take too long and I have never seen a Vet use other than clippers. It's really quite easy if you have a cooperative dog.

Wicho

Enlightened
Sounds like my dog.

Here's my good girl at her favorite place.

img1316cv3.jpg

img1325jz1.jpg

Wicho

Enlightened
Thank you!

I'm pretty proud of her - she's wonderful with my 2 year old son. He tackles her, tries riding her, tuggs on her tail and she just sits there, smiles, licks him and when she's had enough just walks to the other end of the room.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wicho, I've got a 100lb male version that could almost be your dog's brother, except the German Shepard mixed in gave him a long snout. His favorite place, Lake Michigan shore, looks like your background. He was swimming yesterday.

I use a Klein cable cutter with curved jaws to trim his nails with good results. Doggy hardly notices the activity. One clip per nail does it.

barkingmad

Enlightened
I use a Dremel Lithium cordless on my Golden Retriever - works very well but only do it for short periods as the nail gets warm pretty quick!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm... Like any tool, this can be mis-used as much as anything else, or worse.

Right off the bat, I can see X number of people trying to put an undersized dog nail in an oversized hole, holding it for 1/2 second too long, etc. Remember, this is a non-failsafe (no matter what the cheesefomercial says), high speed, power grinding tool to be used on our pet's sensitive tootsies, which comes with all potential pitfalls associated with it.

A simple, high quality (do your research) snipper used with proper technique, and frequency (and as Numbers said, a reward at the end) will give best results.

Gotta' love how the infomercial shows no dogs freaking out at the sound (actually, it doesn't even let you hear the sound), and/or vibration. Yeah, let 'em try this thing on my aunt's Shepherd... someone's gonna' be missing a hand.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea. PetSmart, PETCO and local vets in their haste always seem to hit a quick every now and then.