Opinel knives

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I finally found a local store that carry opinel knives that doesn't want $30 for one, and picked up a #8 carbon blade.

Out of the box it doesn't cut at all, the edge is, well, it dosen't have one. Where edge is suppose to be it's basically flat. After spend over 30 minutes working on it and ground it to a 30° angle however... HOLY CRAP THIS THING GETS SHARP! It's probably sharper than my spyderco centofante, which is hollow ground and sharpened at 30° as well. It slices through paper like there's nothing there. Seriously, for $12 everyone should have one of these, it's simplicity at it's best.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
MEC is on the other side of the island right through the whole metropolitian/traffic jam area, I don't have membership either since I never shop there.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
July09.07001Medium.jpg

July09.07010Medium.jpg

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up not using any oil because it's messy. I applied a thin layer of wax to both handle and blade, now water beads up and slide right off, and pivot is much smoother.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep I saw that video from your other thread, it's actually what renewed my interest in opinel and went to look for one. I went for carbon steel because I never had a folder with carbon steel, and people say how it's easier to sharpen and gets sharper than stainless.

cutlerylover

Banned
Yep I saw that video from your other thread, it's actually what renewed my interest in opinel and went to look for one. I went for carbon steel because I never had a folder with carbon steel, and people say how it's easier to sharpen and gets sharper than stainless.

And your right! with the little extra care carbon steel needs it will really treat you well! I too want another opinel in carbon, maybe a slightly bigger one?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used to have a few. The carbon steel sure got sharp (like most any good carbon steel blade), but the round cross section made the thing too fat to fit in my pocket comfortably, compared to more conventional folders of the same blade size. Good workhorse knife if you want to play peasant for a while (I always imagine some old French farmer pulling one of these out and cutting shoots off his grape vines or something), I guess....

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened
Ever tried to EDC the first one? :D

Thought about, yes. You know, it is a folding machete. And, if you need a machete you need it. However, I don't want mothers to gather their children as I walk by.

It is a conversation piece for the display case. I am surprised at the number of visitors that have a European travel story which ends in "I wish that I had gotten more Opinels when I was there." They see the big one and laugh then launch into their Opinel story. I love it. Most don't know that they are available in the USA.

All the best,

oregon

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They're good knives. Just not designed for heavy duty chores. I've popped the locking ring off of an Opinel more than once. Luckily, the blade never closed on my fingers.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arg, my blade and collar is turning black :( I know some people like patina but I sure don't, I like my knives shiny.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this knive since at least 14-15 years! I didn't know Opinel was well known, but I did know they were good knife. This one went to the forest to cut a lot of wood to make kid camps (I was around 12-13 when I started to use it). It was also used a lot for food, it never lost it's sharpness! It was bought directly in France by my grandmother. At some point last year It was hard to open/close the blade so I left it open but I just noticed this thread and I wanted to share a picture. The blade became loose again!

opinelik9.jpg

Dr_Lumen

Newly Enlightened
The thing that people often don't seem to realise about Opinels is that the blade is so THIN! That's why it cuts so well - especially in hard foods like cheese, onions, potatoes, apples etc - where a thick blade (which sadly is the trend) tends to try and force the item apart rather than cut it . For this reason, Opinels are the ultimate picnic knife (which is probably why they're so popular in France - ahh, French cheese and sausage by a rambling stream in the south of France...sigh), and a heck of a good utility knife to boot! :cool: