LED Lantern Recommendations

Jagged

Newly Enlightened
A couple recent nights with power outages made me start thinking that an LED lantern would be pretty handy - especially if it had a remote.

No real battery or size preferences. It will probably sit near the bed or on a counter until needed.

Any recommendations?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer has a whole series of lights in what they call their "Preparedness" line that should meet your needs. See http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/preparedness/Pages/emergency-lights.aspx I have the lantern shown in the right pane. I features a bright krypton bulb if you want incandescent, three LEDs if you want a little less light but a lot more life, and a single dim brown LED for a nightlight. It also includes a simple push to light keychain style light in a little recess on the top. It runs off of 3D batteries and feels very substantial. I also had the LED and CCFL light, which I really liked, until number one son made it disappear one day. I wish I knew where he made them disappear to, because there should be 2 G2s, a SF TT2L, a couple of SF Keymates, and a Coleman incan/fl lantern hiding there. Oh well.

Saiga

Enlightened
I have a couple, and really like them. One is from Sportsmansguide, their brand called "Guide gear", I've seen it re-badged from lots of other places like Cabellas,etc. It's got about 16 LED's, comes in a hardcase,uses 4 D batteries,a claimed run-time of something like 17 days, is waterproof AND floats, for around $35.Me,my brother and mom have one, so far,so good.
I've also read eally good things about one available at Target for $20+ bucks.I forget what they're called, Rock river ? Something like that. If i get another, it'll likely be one of those.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Everyone needs at least one of the Energizer 4AA Folding Lanterns. Pocketable, long running, cheap. What more could you want?

Geoff

GreySave

Enlightened
Take a look at some of the new Coleman Cree lanterns. They are an interesting new entry into the market. Available at Walmart.

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
I have both - LED and gas. Nothing so far can beat the output of a good gas lantern. A good LED, such as the Coleman Crees are fine for a tent or a table. But for a campsite and good area light, nothing beats good old gas.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I have both - LED and gas. Nothing so far can beat the output of a good gas lantern. A good LED, such as the Coleman Crees are fine for a tent or a table. But for a campsite and good area light, nothing beats good old gas.

You're right about gas being brighter and best for outdoor use.

I'm happy with my River Rock 3-AA K2 LED and Energizer Weather Ready 4-D, 8 LED folding lantern for indoor and occasional outdoor use.

I'm unaware of any lanterns that have remotes.

Last edited:

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
I think Jagged asked for a lantern with a remote. Coleman still makes a couple but they are fluorescent. Go here:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=1050

I've had an older fluorescent Coleman 8-D for about 4 years with remote. Makes a good tent light. You can turn on the light before you get in the tent. Handy. Will not burn as long as the Coleman Cree LED lamps though.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steer clear of the Freeplay Indigo. It is a great light for total crisis situations, but output is simply lacking for comfortable use during short-term power outages.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The modified Sylvania lanterns in this thread are great (if you don't mind doing a little modifying). I've built several of the Seoul P4 / Khatod optic version. They rock! :devil:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Coleman Cree lantern that takes 8D batteries is awsome. It provides plenty of light and runs a long time. i have not done a runtime test but the box states 66hrs on low and 32 hrs on high. The low setting is bright enough to light up a large size room with emergency lighting.