State police asked Walmart to...

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
I stopped by Walmart to take a look at the Kershaw Blur with a tanto blade today. Their price was right, $55 on their website. When I was there it said "Not Available" by the picture. The lady at the counter asked me if I wanted to look at any knife and I asked her if they were out of the Kershaw Blur or are you not carrying it anymore. I couldn't believe what her answer was, the PA State Police came in here and asked us to stop sell them. :thumbsdow Is it a policy for the police to do this? The knife is not an automatic, so it's perfectly legal to sell/buy them in PA. Suffice it to say that I will be in possession of one very soon. :grin2:

IcantC

Enlightened
I stopped by Walmart to take a look at the Kershaw Blur with a tanto blade today. Their price was right, $55 on their website. When I was there it said "Not Available" by the picture. The lady at the counter asked me if I wanted to look at any knife and I asked her if they were out of the Kershaw Blur or are you not carrying it anymore. I couldn't believe what her answer was, the PA State Police came in here and asked us to stop sell them. :thumbsdow Is it a policy for the police to do this? The knife is not an automatic, so it's perfectly legal to sell/buy them in PA. Suffice it to say that I will be in possession of one very soon. :grin2:

State police cannot just walk in and tell them to stop selling something... Wonder what she is smoking :candle:

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
State police cannot just walk in and tell them to stop selling something... Wonder what she is smoking :candle:

It did occur to me that she was lying, but when I asked her about the knife, she didn't even blink an eye. The words came right out. I'm going to call the other Walmart and see what they say.

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
OK. I just called the another Walmart in my area and the guy told me that the police asked them to stop carrying ALL assisted opening knives!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
some police agencies view assist opening knives in the same category as switch blades. It depends on the wording of the individual state's legislative definition of a switch blade versus assisted opening knife.

all Walmarts in California has stopped selling sporting arms, and many even stopped selling ammunition under pressure from "community groups". They have a history of caving in to outside "suggestions" as to the products they make available. This is another good reason to support you independent shops regardless of what the item is, Walmart doesn't care if it is legal, just a good PR image and such.

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly is so bad about switchblades and assisted opening knives anyway ?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad. I suppose if you are going to stab or slice someone, they want you to do it gentlemanly by opening the blade manually. :p I wonder how long it will be before CA merchants get them yanked also. :(

tussery

Enlightened
What exactly is so bad about switchblades and assisted opening knives anyway ?
Nothing is bad about them they just got a bad wrap because of movies like West Side Story. It is more of a fear mongering reason that they are outlawed as they are no deadlier than any other knife or gun. In fact my Axis locks which are not assisted opening can open faster than my Nitrous Stryker and Nitrous Blitz.

Illum

Flashaholic
[Rant=]
I'm surprised the smaller the knife the more regulation there is. A Kershaw Outcast can be bought by anyone but the blackout is another story.
I can hide an outcast just wearing a black T-shirt and a pair of Bermuda shorts and their concerned with pocketknives and the associated stabbing cases:ohgeez:
what comes down to is the irresponsible people who buy them and use them...like that farking @#$% who pointed a green laser at an aircraft. will they ban green lasers for that once case? you bet your @#$% they will, soon or later we won't be able to buy anything good. remember the times when M-80 or bigger firecrackers were sold? whatever happened to that? huh?!
[/Rant]

:sigh:
I'm glad Florida's regulations are lenient....though theres an abrupt decrease in Wal-mart's stock on guns.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that a kershaw outcast in your shorts or are you just happy to see me?

If you think auto illegal is ridiculous, check out what's illegal in canada.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's not too hard to believe that some police force leaders may ask local retailers not to carry specific items. If there have been problems in the area and they used assisted opening knives, they might well try to diminish the problem by banning the knives. Well meaning people often confuse cause and effect.

Now, if you stop to think about it, the knife is a likely to be a symptom as is is a cause. A person likely to attack someone might well be drawn to a nice OA knife, especially if they have a forbidden air about them.

Just buy one elsewhere and don't let it stress you.

Daniel

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
What next? Please don't sell crow bars, hammers, utility knifes, screwdrivers, tire irons, bats, golf clubs, anything that is not made by Nerf...............people kill people no matter what the "Nannies" try and do to protect us.:whistle: The "Nannies" more often than not leave us "unprotected" with this knee jerk mamby pamby feel good Bravo Sierra.....:ohgeez:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be a local ordinance or law. For example, NYC and San Antonio have more restrictions than their state laws.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
What next? Please don't sell crow bars, hammers, utility knifes, screwdrivers, tire irons, bats, golf clubs, anything that is not made by Nerf...............
I had to laugh when I went shopping for a bunch of stuff one timeand was asked for proof of age. Stupid me, I commented that it must be because I was buying a hatchet and the clerk said no, it was for the spray paint.

I'm always amazed how little sense some of these regulations make. Even though you couldn't buy a little pocket folder in sporting goods, I'll bet you would have no problem getting a much more deadly knife over in housewares.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What next? Please don't sell crow bars, hammers, utility knifes, screwdrivers, tire irons, bats, golf clubs, anything that is not made by Nerf...............people kill people no matter what the "Nannies" try and do to protect us.:whistle: The "Nannies" more often than not leave us "unprotected" with this knee jerk mamby pamby feel good Bravo Sierra.....:ohgeez:

Good points.

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday. Stopped by the flashlight aisle. Nothing of interest. But the flashlight aisle shares space with inexpensive camping gear. Could have picked up a nice machete for $6.49, but chose to pass on it.... Maybe next time I'm there. :ironic:

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
It's not too hard to believe that some police force leaders may ask local retailers not to carry specific items. If there have been problems in the area and they used assisted opening knives, they might well try to diminish the problem by banning the knives. Well meaning people often confuse cause and effect.

Now, if you stop to think about it, the knife is a likely to be a symptom as is is a cause. A person likely to attack someone might well be drawn to a nice OA knife, especially if they have a forbidden air about them.

Just buy one elsewhere and don't let it stress you.

Daniel

I understand their concerns about such items being used in criminal activity, but I'm not buying it. Criminals have an advantage, the element of surprise. They can prepare and decide when they want to attack, therefore an open assist won't make much of a difference. You and I have to rely on quickness and ability to come out ahead. These mechanisms assist us in doing so, it is for defensive purposes. There are no local laws I'm aware of that limits the sale of such things. In fact I was at a gun show last weekend and there were plenty of open assisted knives.

Don't worry, I'm not stressed out. I will be in possession of one soon. I can get a carry permit in 3 weeks but I can't legally own an automatic? Go figure. It just is annoying that people think the solution is to remove "dangerous" items from the public.