HDS Systems        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot 4 times, and still smiling

Default Shot 4 times, and still smiling

You guys see this, Royal Marine shot in the helmet four times and no problems. Kevlar must be getting better...

Bad link, see below.

PS - Way to kick ass Brits!!!

Default Re: Shot 4 times, and still smiling

Try it this way. That's a tricky link.

http://tinyurl.com/88m8

Even from the British sometimes things are lost in the translation. They talk about him "passing out" and of course they mean graduating, but for me it sounded like he passed out!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Super Moderator

The Royal Marines are tough group. They are motivated, disciplined and well trained.

That helmet is a keeper.

Wow! I don't know if I'd still be smiling if I were shot in the head 4 times...

That's one lucky dude!

Flashaholic*

I bet he loaded his shorts after he found out how bad it could have been.

Must have been pistol rounds, or some crappy 30 year old AK stuff.
    I think I'd be smiling after getting shot 4 times in the head and still alive. If it wasn't for the headache, I think I'd be doing the dance of joy!

I was just watching a US soldier being interviewed on TV, he was one of four injured when their vehicle was hit by a RPG.

Towards the end of the interview he made this quote which made me chuckle:

"Getting shot at wasn't that bad, getting shot sucks"

Great sense of humor for someone who'd just been literally blown out of a truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I saw a post on another forum that said a US soldier got shot by a AK in the helmet and it resisted it also, I believe it was in Grenada. Judging by how old the AK's appear to be in pictures, I would think these are 7.62X39's. I have shot all the way through steel wheels and concrete blocks with my MAK-90, so I am impressed.

x-ray's comment got me thinking. I have always maintained that my grandfather's WWII generation were ten times tougher than any of mine. But it looks like we got some real guys over there. I continue to be impressed by the British forces, not that I am suprised, just didn't know anything about them.

I appreciate the effort of all those that allow me to sleep every night knowing my freedom is secure.

Flashaholic*

The British forces in Korea were apparently very impressed with the US Marines, and vice versa. I can't remember the source, but a British officer of that era made a comment about the US troops in Korea being a bit soft, and undisciplined. He was asked about the Marines, and replied something to the effect of "No, not at all. I would fight along side the US Marines at any time."

No idea if that's why they are working together now, as they were during the Gulf War. It could just be because the forces complement each other well. British tanks are one of the most heavily armored in the world, but not as fast as ours. Probably more in line with the Marine's tracked APC's which I'm guessing are slower than the Army's. They both fly Harriers, too.

British forces in general seem to have a reputation for going forward slowly, but never going backwards. I wouldn't want to have either group looking for me. They're both nuts - in a good way.

Flashaholic

Marines are also known as jarheads, they may not notice if they got hit in the head. I never did met one that was at all bright. If they had any smarts they wouldn't become Marines !

[ QUOTE ]
    dark star said:
    I never did met one that was at all bright.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might have forgotten the smilie. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You had better smile if you say that to a Marine!

[ QUOTE ]
    dark star said:
    Marines are also known as jarheads, they may not notice if they got hit in the head. I never did met one that was at all bright. If they had any smarts they wouldn't become Marines !

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm.... you did forget the little "just kidding" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .... right?

From the sampling of Marines I've known, I would also recommend the "just kidding" and a smiley or two with the jarhead comment. Not all of them have a sense of humor about that - or you can just say something bad about the Navy, that almost always helps with a Marine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Pat

Flashaholic

No - I stand by what I said !! And I was one of the most stupid Marines I know - I spend all my money on flashlights [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm still not sure if the flashlight thing is stupidity or some sort of obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Pat

Unenlightened

Over here the Marines and the Para's are reckoned to be our best trained and toughest regiments (special forces excepted) In the Flaklands war 2nd Para marched 20+ miles overnight carrying huge loads (150-200 lbs) and went strait into battle.
    I have seen a couple of reports showing American officers commanding British Units and Brits commanding American units. Thats very close cooperation, but I bet they have some fun with the language!
    Ian

dead boy with his brains blown out:

<Link removed>

Ted, you might want to warn people it is a pretty gruesome picture... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Nevermind warnings... I'm not so sure it's necessary to link to something like that at all. Ted, can you tell me the necessity?

Sasha, pm sent.

Ted... I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering. Why not post the explaination you sent to me for everyone to see?

I'm off to jury duty. Have a lovely day gentlemen! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm not the type of person to complain about links form CPF and, Lord knows, there have been plenty that have been in questionable taste. However, this is generally a "G-rated" forum and a picture of this type is neither funny or trivial. It only glorifies what we are fighting against, Sadam's murder of his own people, in Iraq and I humbly request the link be removed. This is precisely why I prefer to get my news from radio.

[ QUOTE ]
    Sasha said:
    Ted... I'm sure I'm not the only one who is wondering. Why not post the explaination you sent to me for everyone to see?

I'm off to jury duty. Have a lovely day gentlemen! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Sasha, and have a just day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I thought the picture would say more just standing alone, but here's why;

because you don't see it on TV.
    because that is what happens when a person gets
    shot in the head, usually. because it is gruesome. because that is what war is. because a picture tells the story better than a thousand words.
    I think "dead boy with brains blown out" contains it's own warning --

Super Moderator

TedtheLed,
    If we want gross we can go any number of places on the internet but it's not why people come to CPF. We all know what happens when someone gets shot in the head, it's very ugly. Sensationalizing death for the desired shock factor is not the purpose of this thread or forum. I think most people would find the photo offensive and may follow the link out of trust of CPF. The photo is past the levels of decency established here so I ask you to self edit or I will do it for you.

Others and I will be happy to acknowledge as fact people get killed in war, including woman and children and it is a tragic, horrible, gross and sometimes serves no purpose. When a child is shot in the head it is especially terrible and shocking. I further acknowledge this will happen to some of the people in Iraq. There, your statement is made and accepted without the offensive graphics.

DD

ok. i now understand the rationale for posting the pic without further explanation.

but what is the reason for posting it in the first place? the thread started with the story of the unhurt soldier shot 4 times...then it drifted to discussing the marines and british troops in general.

is the pic a statement of some sort? it appears that it is a great statement as to what the iraquis do to their own people...just like when civilians were fleeing Basrah (i think) across a bridge, when they were fired upon by their own people to force them back.

thanks for the link, Ted!

Bob

[ QUOTE ]
    bigcozy said:
    I saw a post on another forum that said a US soldier got shot by a AK in the helmet and it resisted it also, I believe it was in Grenada. Judging by how old the AK's appear to be in pictures, I would think these are 7.62X39's. I have shot all the way through steel wheels and concrete blocks with my MAK-90, so I am impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That helmst is at the Ft. Bragg museum. I had a squad leader who jumped into Grenada at that time and told me about it. It's also pretty ompressive when you consider that the British (Army at least) helmets are quite a bit lighter than ours.

The Royal Marines are a little different than ours. Theirs could be considered more akin to the USMC Force Recon Marines. And they are some pretty bad boys.

Yes, Ted that picture does put a graphic face on war. But you could have started another thread about it instead of hijacking this one. It does also seem to reek of propaganda. If he was shot, shot meaning a bullet and not shrapnel, who shot him?

The only thing that I get good out of that picture is that the child's soul is in HEAVEN. NOW DROP THAT LINK!!!

I think the picture would be appropriate anywhere war and soldiering is being discussed. In fact why not make it mandatory? I came across the picture, I came across this string named "shot 4 times in the head.." and something just clicked.
    I think it's very telling that the loudest pro-war voices, though they acknowledge "people get killed in war," are the quickest to be offended by a picture of the face of war.. Don't they have the courage of their convictions to look war in the face, if only a picture, once in a while?
    Or perhaps I should find it heart warming that so many good patriotic Americans are so willing for young men to die so they can feel proud, secure their beliefs, and comfortable in their sensibilities..and at the gas pump..
    I think anyone clicking on a link so-named who then claim they are rudely surprised by what they see there are the same ones who need "caution HOT" printed on their coffee cups..and are probably the worst type of hypocrites too..
    It doesn't matter who shot the kid, the point is, this is what war is, this is what happens to people. Maybe if some of us were a little more aware of that than we seem to allow ourselves to be, we'd have a little less violent death in this world.
    I would consider moving it to another string, if that is demanded, but not removing it entirely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast