HDS Systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Milky Tranzilla!

Default Surefire Milky Tranzilla!

The Tranzilla is my newest monster to emerge from the milkyspit labs. This light is insanely bright and has a nice warm tint. The beam profile is great...smooth, bright hotspot with a wide side-spill.

What makes this monster unique? The two Mad Max Plus boards (yes, two!) and the Luxeon K2-TFFC in a custom L1 head! This combination enables me to have an eye-searing 285 lumen of output in a slim, sleek light. Powered by one 17670 (or 18650), I can get an hour of guilt-free lumen.

Surefire Milky Tranzilla:
    • Luxeon K2-TFFC emitter
    • McR20 reflector
    • Two MM+ boards
    • 285 lumen
    • Glow ring inside bezel
    • Uses one 18650 Li-Ion (Or one RCR123 or one 17670)
    • 1 hr 25 min at maximum brightness, then gradually dims and then totally out at 1 hr 39 min.

Here is the Tranzilla with a TranquillityBase, TB, 18650 body...now it really looks like Godzilla! GRR!

Last edited by ttran97; 07-16-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Default Re: Surefire Milky Tranzilla!

Now that's the one I want! I'm impressed with what I've seen of the K2-TFFC, now I want one on my E2L! That is a really cool light.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KeyGrip View Post
    Now that's the one I want! I'm impressed with what I've seen of the K2-TFFC, now I want one on my E2L! That is a really cool light.
    I'm really impressed with the K2-TFFC emitter as well. The tint is very nice and makes the Seouls and Crees look almost bluish. I'm gonna ask milkyspit if he can put 7 K2-TFFC's into the M6 bezel. haha! Now THAT would be awesome! He can already put 7 Crees in, so why not? 1000+ lumen!!!

Milkyspit will be able to easily mod the stock head on your E2L. I had him make mine in the custom L1 head because I wanted a shorter head. This one is probably half an inch shorter.

Whoa! MM+ x 2!

Quote Originally Posted by ttran97 View Post
    Milkyspit will be able to easily mod the stock head on your E2L. I had him make mine in the custom L1 head because I wanted a shorter head. This one is probably half an inch shorter...

...and was one heck of a bear for fitting two MM+ boards in there! Not much space. The first attempt resulted in shearing a capacitor off one board and severing a few wires. Fortunately the second time, with a few process improvements, worked a little better!

One thing I've learned about the dual-MM+ configuration is it's more battery-specific than the single MM+... the smaller rechargeables and primaries (RCR123, 123, CR2) just don't have enough current flow capability to drive the head at full power, whereas the 17670 does significantly better. IMHO an 18650 or even an e-Moli 26670 would be ideal for this configuration.

Hope it met your expectations, Tung!
    --Scott

Wow looks great! Beamshots please?

Quote Originally Posted by IcantC View Post
    Wow looks great! Beamshots please?
    Agreed, it's a pretty light, but beamshots are where it's at! (Especially when they are comparo's with known lights).
    *** SureFire, Ra, NovaTac, Fenix, Nitecore, Inova, Arc, Mag, Malkoff, etc.

All right, I'll try to do some beamshots comparing all my milkyspit mods...the Tranzilla, TW4 Speedster, ML-1x, and Seoulmator. I would do stock lights too, but it turns out that I no longer have any stock lights! WTH??? haha...Actually, I do have my stock M3 and M6's...but that's not the same...

Let me finish watching People's Court first. hehe. I love that Judge Marilyn Milian!

And of course, milkyspit always exceeds my expectations when it comes to these wonderful mods! Thanks!
    Last edited by ttran97; 03-03-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Ttran, I think it is because of the mods you keep posting that I will start focusing on getting my lights modded instead of buying new ones. First your TW4 Speedster, then the Seoulmator, and now this...

Ok guys...don't laugh at my beamshots too much. Even though I've been on CPF for almost 6 years, this is only my second attempt at doing beamshots. haha. I pre-set the white balance to a normal white sheet of paper...then made sure everything was set before I turned off the light and turned on the flashlight. The lights are a foot away from the wall.

First up is the group beam shot. As you can see, the K2-TFFC in the Tranzilla is noticeably warmer in tint. Beautiful!

Here is the Tranzilla's beamshot by itself.

And here are the others...

TW4 Milky Speedster (180 lumen):

ML-1x on Low (5 lumen):

ML-1x on High (220 lumen):

Milky Seoulmator on Low (100 lumen):

Milky Seoulmator on High (220 lumen):
    Last edited by ttran97; 03-03-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added more details

K2. Tint. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyGrip View Post
    Ttran, I think it is because of the mods you keep posting that I will start focusing on getting my lights modded instead of buying new ones. First your TW4 Speedster, then the Seoulmator, and now this...
    KeyGrip...I know exactly what you mean. My collection of Surefires has shrunk significantly in number, but astonishingly, it has increased exponentially in dollar value and lumen output! I decided that I don't need so many lights that were "just the same" as other lights. Each one of my milkyspit mods is unique and serves a specific purpose. Surefire makes awesome lights and milkyspit elevates them to dizzying heights!

Wow great tint! Thanks for the shot... Would be great to have about 10 K2's mounted in the M6

Great shots TT. Because of you I decided to put the K2T in my TW4D Boxter. I liked it in my ML2, and seeing your beam shots just sealed the deal. Nice light BTW. You and I are kinda in the same boat. After I have all my Milky Mods, my total will be five, and although I have slimmed my collection, the value of my collection has risen. I love each and every one of my Milky Mods though. They give me tailored lights that each fill a specific need, with the durability of the SF host
    Rob Bond - My Lights - Needs some serious Updating

MMMMaaaaaaaaannnnnn!!!! i really want a milky Mod sooooooooooo baaaaadddd!!!!!! but not yet......im saving the best for last.......should we say.......M6
    j֥ Th Lf Wth LT f Lm

I just did a runtime test tonight of the Tranzilla using one 17670 li-ion battery.

Start: 9:30 pm
    Stop: 11:09 pm

It was pretty much at max brightness for 1 hr 25 min, followed by a gradual dimming until it died at 1 hr 39 min. Not bad at all!

*Flashaholic*

HOT!

Not bad at all
    强光手电是我最爱得

Very nice. The beamshots convinced me. I tend to prefer the Seouls to the Crees, but that K2-TFFC is much better. - With the dual driver, I suppose.

Sell it to me.

What would you recommend for a milky mod to an old E1L?

Flashaholic*

Looks Very Nice!!!
    The tint is deffinetly different than the Seouls or Crees, I'd really like to see it in person.
    Thats a Lot of Milky Lights!!

Funny, I too just noticed how few lights I have that have been left stock. About 80% of my collection has beens modded.

I'd like to get my hands on some K2's.....anyone know where I can buy some?

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Very nice. The beamshots convinced me. I tend to prefer the Seouls to the Crees, but that K2-TFFC is much better. - With the dual driver, I suppose.

Sell it to me.

What would you recommend for a milky mod to an old E1L?
    For these 1-cell lights, there are a few options you can consider. But it comes down to what your preference is. These are just the basic options that I know about...if you want more info, you'll have to contact milkyspit yourself.

First, pick your LED: Seoul, Cree, or K2-TFFC.
    • Benefit of the Seoul P4: smooth, cool white beam. Downside: not as high lumen output.
    • Benefit of the Cree: higher lumen count. Downside: beam not as smooth, tint can vary...some are nice and white, some are greenish.
    • Benefit of the K2-TFFC: warmer tint than the other two; high lumen output. Downside: harder to get a hold of, so may require longer build-time.

Then, pick your driver board: Mad Max Plus or Acorn
    • Benefit of MM+: can use rechargeable batteries; simple one mode (on/off). Downside: only one mode.
    • Benefit of Acorn Driver: multiple modes...the default is 4 levels of brightness, but milkyspit can reprogram it to however many levels you want. I would recommend 2 levels are sufficient...such as a really low and then full brightness. Can also use rechargeables. Downside: too many levels can be annoying to click to. It's a double-tap to change the levels, too.

I'm sure there are more benefits and downsides...but you get the gist of things. And like I said...it comes down to your preferences with levels, tint, brightness, runtime.
    Last edited by ttran97; 03-05-2008 at 09:03 AM.

how much to get get milky tranzilla?

Quote Originally Posted by rourtex23 View Post

Hi rourtex, that depends on whether you have a head for the upgrade already or I would be supplying the entire head. PM me here or at CPF Marketplace or send me email with your needs and I'll get you some ballpark pricing. Hope that helps.

--Scott

email sent

Quote Originally Posted by rourtex23 View Post
    This mod was a very reasonable price.

I'm planning on getting the M6 mod with 7 Cree's. I don't really need two kidneys anyway...

I'm confused as to how it can be 285 lumens and run 1 hr and 25 minutes on a 17670? I thought the K2 needed more juice than a Cree Q5 to get the same output.
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by WadeF View Post
    I'm confused as to how it can be 285 lumens and run 1 hr and 25 minutes on a 17670? I thought the K2 needed more juice than a Cree Q5 to get the same output.
    There are two MM+ drivers in there. Maybe that has something to do with it? I didn't actually measure the light output, so maybe it dimmed more than I could perceive with my eye towards the end of the runtime. Milkyspit estimated the lumen output to be between 225 and 285 lumen.

Wade, there are a couple things at work here... first, the output probably trailed off a bit toward the later part of the runtime but not enough to be visible to the human eye, especially when comparing outputs over a roughly 90 minute time period... second, it's unlikely that a 17670 was able to drive the dual circuits at full power (which is why I labeled the light as having max overall output anywhere between 225-285 lumens... depends on the ability of the power source to deliver the needed current without voltage sag)... taken together and compared against the 1600mAh capacity (if memory serves) of a recent AW 17670 protected rechargeable, I have no doubt that Tung actually did see 1h25m or so of bright output. Was it the full 285 lumens for the full runtime? I doubt it. Was it consistent enough in its brightness to satisfy Tung's eyes that it was still pumping out the bright output he expected to see? Probably.

As I'd mentioned farther up the thread, I personally would consider an 18650 or even a 26670 cell as the most appropriate power source for this head... that being said, though, one of the virtues of the MM+ drivers is their forgiving nature: they'll happily run as hard as they can with pretty much whatever power source one throws at them. I find that a great operating characteristic for lights to be used in applications like night hikes, weekend camping, and similar.
    --Scott

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Wade, there are a couple things at work here... first, the output probably trailed off a bit toward the later part of the runtime but not enough to be visible to the human eye, especially when comparing outputs over a roughly 90 minute time period... second, it's unlikely that a 17670 was able to drive the dual circuits at full power (which is why I labeled the light as having max overall output anywhere between 225-285 lumens... depends on the ability of the power source to deliver the needed current without voltage sag)... taken together and compared against the 1600mAh capacity (if memory serves) of a recent AW 17670 protected rechargeable, I have no doubt that Tung actually did see 1h25m or so of bright output. Was it the full 285 lumens for the full runtime? I doubt it. Was it consistent enough in its brightness to satisfy Tung's eyes that it was still pumping out the bright output he expected to see? Probably.

As I'd mentioned farther up the thread, I personally would consider an 18650 or even a 26670 cell as the most appropriate power source for this head... that being said, though, one of the virtues of the MM+ drivers is their forgiving nature: they'll happily run as hard as they can with pretty much whatever power source one throws at them. I find that a great operating characteristic for lights to be used in applications like night hikes, weekend camping, and similar.
    Hi milkyspit. Thanks for clearing things up. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to these battery and electrical issues. I just know that this is one great light and I use it nightly. The color rendition is great and the leaves on trees don't look washed out or anything.

You've mentioned before that you think an 18650 would be best, but how could I get that done in an E2e body? Would you be able to bore out the inside of my E2e even more? If so, then I'll gladly send in the body. Please let me know. Thanks!