Surefire Milky Tranzilla!

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tranzilla is my newest monster to emerge from the milkyspit labs. This light is insanely bright and has a nice warm tint. The beam profile is great...smooth, bright hotspot with a wide side-spill.

What makes this monster unique? The two Mad Max Plus boards (yes, two!) and the Luxeon K2-TFFC in a custom L1 head! This combination enables me to have an eye-searing 285 lumen of output in a slim, sleek light. Powered by one 17670 (or 18650), I can get an hour of guilt-free lumen.

Surefire Milky Tranzilla:
  • Luxeon K2-TFFC emitter
  • McR20 reflector
  • Two MM+ boards
  • 285 lumen
  • Glow ring inside bezel
  • Uses one 18650 Li-Ion (Or one RCR123 or one 17670)
  • 1 hr 25 min at maximum brightness, then gradually dims and then totally out at 1 hr 39 min.

Here is the Tranzilla with a TranquillityBase, TB, 18650 body...now it really looks like Godzilla! GRR!

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's the one I want! I'm impressed with what I've seen of the K2-TFFC, now I want one on my E2L! That is a really cool light.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's the one I want! I'm impressed with what I've seen of the K2-TFFC, now I want one on my E2L! That is a really cool light.

I'm really impressed with the K2-TFFC emitter as well. The tint is very nice and makes the Seouls and Crees look almost bluish. I'm gonna ask milkyspit if he can put 7 K2-TFFC's into the M6 bezel. haha! Now THAT would be awesome! He can already put 7 Crees in, so why not? 1000+ lumen!!! :whistle:

Milkyspit will be able to easily mod the stock head on your E2L. I had him make mine in the custom L1 head because I wanted a shorter head. This one is probably half an inch shorter.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milkyspit will be able to easily mod the stock head on your E2L. I had him make mine in the custom L1 head because I wanted a shorter head. This one is probably half an inch shorter...

...and was one heck of a bear for fitting two MM+ boards in there! Not much space. The first attempt resulted in shearing a capacitor off one board and severing a few wires. Fortunately the second time, with a few process improvements, worked a little better! :naughty:

One thing I've learned about the dual-MM+ configuration is it's more battery-specific than the single MM+... the smaller rechargeables and primaries (RCR123, 123, CR2) just don't have enough current flow capability to drive the head at full power, whereas the 17670 does significantly better. IMHO an 18650 or even an e-Moli 26670 would be ideal for this configuration.

Hope it met your expectations, Tung! :sweat:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right, I'll try to do some beamshots comparing all my milkyspit mods...the Tranzilla, TW4 Speedster, ML-1x, and Seoulmator. I would do stock lights too, but it turns out that I no longer have any stock lights! WTH??? haha...Actually, I do have my stock M3 and M6's...but that's not the same...

Let me finish watching People's Court first. hehe. I love that Judge Marilyn Milian!

And of course, milkyspit always exceeds my expectations when it comes to these wonderful mods! Thanks!

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ttran, I think it is because of the mods you keep posting that I will start focusing on getting my lights modded instead of buying new ones. First your TW4 Speedster, then the Seoulmator, and now this... :broke:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok guys...don't laugh at my beamshots too much. Even though I've been on CPF for almost 6 years, this is only my second attempt at doing beamshots. haha. I pre-set the white balance to a normal white sheet of paper...then made sure everything was set before I turned off the light and turned on the flashlight. The lights are a foot away from the wall.

First up is the group beam shot. As you can see, the K2-TFFC in the Tranzilla is noticeably warmer in tint. Beautiful!
beamshot_milkyspits.jpg

Here is the Tranzilla's beamshot by itself.
beamshot_tranzilla.jpg

And here are the others...

TW4 Milky Speedster (180 lumen):
beamshot_tw4.jpg

ML-1x on Low (5 lumen):
beamshot_ml1_low.jpg

ML-1x on High (220 lumen):
beamshot_ml1_high.jpg

Milky Seoulmator on Low (100 lumen):
beamshot_seoulmator_low.jpg

Milky Seoulmator on High (220 lumen):
beamshot_seoulmator_high.jpg

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ttran, I think it is because of the mods you keep posting that I will start focusing on getting my lights modded instead of buying new ones. First your TW4 Speedster, then the Seoulmator, and now this... :broke:

KeyGrip...I know exactly what you mean. My collection of Surefires has shrunk significantly in number, but astonishingly, it has increased exponentially in dollar value and lumen output! I decided that I don't need so many lights that were "just the same" as other lights. Each one of my milkyspit mods is unique and serves a specific purpose. Surefire makes awesome lights and milkyspit elevates them to dizzying heights! :twothumbs

IcantC

Enlightened
Wow great tint! Thanks for the shot... Would be great to have about 10 K2's mounted in the M6 :D

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots TT. Because of you I decided to put the K2T in my TW4D Boxter. I liked it in my ML2, and seeing your beam shots just sealed the deal. Nice light BTW. You and I are kinda in the same boat. After I have all my Milky Mods, my total will be five, and although I have slimmed my collection, the value of my collection has risen. I love each and every one of my Milky Mods though. They give me tailored lights that each fill a specific need, with the durability of the SF host:thumbsup:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a runtime test tonight of the Tranzilla using one 17670 li-ion battery.

Start: 9:30 pm
Stop: 11:09 pm

It was pretty much at max brightness for 1 hr 25 min, followed by a gradual dimming until it died at 1 hr 39 min. Not bad at all!

cat

Enlightened
Very nice. The beamshots convinced me. I tend to prefer the Seouls to the Crees, but that K2-TFFC is much better. - With the dual driver, I suppose.

Sell it to me. :devil:

What would you recommend for a milky mod to an old E1L?