Zebralight H50 Q5 1AA - BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES & more

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
REVIEWER'S NOTE: This is a quick initial impression review of the Zebralight H50 headlamp (1AA). I'm planning to expand the review after a little field testing.

This light is fairly unique, as it lacks a reflector or collimating optics – the light is pure flood (with at least a 120 degree beam angle). It is meant to illuminate a confined area evenly, hence its use as a headlamp (although it is more versatile and can be used in a number of ways).

Zebra1.jpg

As you can see, it comes with all sorts of goodies: including a headband, wrist strap, glare shield (for when used as headlamp), and pocket clip. The Zebralight is usually held to the headband or wrist strap by a flexible GITD silicone bracket (an extra is also included). Light is available in both Cree P4 and Q5 editions – the Q5 is presented here.

Zebra3.jpg

The emitter is built right into the side of the light, allowing you place it in various orientations (like in headlamp or pocket light mode). It can tailstand with ease. There's a round lexan protective coating layer over the emitter.

Zebra2.jpg

The tailcap unscrews to allow you to feed in batteries (1AA - works with alkaline, NiMH, L91 lithium, or 14500 Li-ion). Base of the tailcap has a simple gold-plated spring. Machining marks on the head and tailcap make it easy to grip.

Zebra4.jpg

As you can see, the light is not much bigger than a standard battery. The hard anodized body tube is quite thin and light. For comparison purposes below, I've added the Q5-equipped EDGETAC NiteCore DI and Fenix L1D-Q5 to this review.

Zebralight Weight (without battery or accessories): 18g

Beamshots:

Quick and dirty comparison at ~.4 meters from a wall, to show you the different overall spill patterns. All lights are running on Sanyo Eneloops on max.

Zebra-250.jpg

Zebra-100.jpg

Zebra-50.jpg

Zebra-25.jpg

Zebra-10.jpg

As you can see, the Zebralight is all flood. Tint is slightly cooler than my other lights, but the difference is not as noticeable as shown in the pics (the Zebralight is actually quite white in tint).

Testing Method: All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's FR.com method. Note that the relative output levels of the Zebralight may not be directly comparable to my other light reviews, since the design and full flood profile required a slight modification to how I mounted the light in the lightbox.

Runtimes:

Despite the very floody nature of the Zebralight, my lightbox seems to be fairly accurately gauging its overall intensity. None the less, I've left an "*" in the graph legends to remind you that it's not really appropriate to try and directly compare output between these very different kinds of lights.

ZebraHi2650.gif

ZebraHiEne.gif

ZebraHie2.gif

ZebraHiAlka.gif

ZebraMedAlka.gif

ZebraLoAlka.gif

Note: my datalogger shut off at 5000 mins for the low mode alkaline run (i.e. 3.5 days), so I don't know for sure when the light cut off. However, when I checked the light at 4 days, and there was zero output at that point.

ZebraMed14500.gif

Output Summary

ZebraSummary.gif

Note again that my output numbers are an estimate only, given the difficulty of comparing this all-flood light in my lightbox.

Output/runtime observations:

• The Zebralight is all flood. Using a protractor, I'd say it has ~125-130 degree beam angle (120 degree with the glare shield on).
  • The Zebralight has a nice selection of output levels on standard batteries, with Lo and Medium being considerably lower than most other lights. :thumbsup:
  • Runtimes seems very good for the apparent output levels. Efficiency of this light seems on par with the big names, which is quite impressive. :twothumbs
  • Unfortunately, my datalogger cut-out on the low mode runtime at ~3.5 days (while the unit was still emitting light). When I checked manually at 4 days, the light had zero output. So it seems the stated claim of 3.5 days is very accurate.
  • Although not shown above, I did a low mode run on L91 lithium, and got almost exactly 4 days runtime. Given the price of L91s, you might be better off saving them for higher drain devices or higher output mode use, where they should make more of a difference.
  • Output on 14500 is higher than standard batteries, with no real difference between Lo and Medium. But on Hi, my sample is screamingly bright (brighter than any of the other 1AA light in my collection)! :faint: Note that this is in contrast to some other reports of lower output on Hi with 14500 in this light.
  • I seriously doubt the small surface area of the Zebralight could possibly dissipate heat fast enough to not risk damaging the emitter on 14500 on Hi. As such, I don't recommend you run it this way - and I won't be doing any runtimes at this level.
  • Interestingly, on Med/Lo the light doesn't just hit the protected 14500 protection circuit and drop to zero output (like most lights). Instead, light goes into a long "moon mode". :thinking: I stopped the run at ~4.5 hours, and it was still producing a low level of light on my AW protected 14500.

Digital control:
  • The Zebralight has 3 modes, accessed by a twist of the tailcap (i.e. twisty interface). Light comes on Low when first screwing the tailcap tightly closed. A rapid twist off-on and you move to Medium. Another twist and you are on Hi.
  • There is no memory mode, so you always start at Lo if the light has been off for more than a few seconds.
  • I'm not sure how the Zebralight regulates its low modes. If it uses PWM, then the frequency is high enough that I can't detect it with my setup, or notice it by eye.

Build, Machining and Anodizing
  • Build quality is top-notch. This light has one of the thinnest layers of aluminum that I've seen, but still feels solid. Weight of the bare light is a negligible 18g.
  • Machining is very good throughout, although you can see some machining marks along a band that runs across the top ribbed portion of the light.
  • Anodizing is type III (Hard Anodized), similar in colour to the new Fenix olive green/natural finish.
  • Screw threads are very fine, but performance is smooth and I haven't experienced any problems with cross-threading.
  • Double o-rings for water resistance.
  • Can tailstand (or headstand for that matter! :))
  • The silicone bracket holds the light fairly firmly, but has enough play so you can still rotate the light easily. This means that the light can also rotate on you inadvertently while you are moving around.

Preliminary Conclusions:
  • A very unique and versatile little light - a true flood lamp.
  • Initial impression is that it is very well made.
  • Excellent circuit design that accepts a wide range of batteries, and has very good pre-set output levels and runtime efficiency on standard batteries.
  • Lacks true low modes on 14500 – and Hi mode is dangerously bright on my sample. However, the light shows an unusual low power "moon mode" feature, even on protected 14500.

:wave:

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for doing this review on a light I was considering. I'm going to order one soon. The comparison with the L1D made me realize how good this is. Your work is great and really informative.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Excellent review, selfbuilt. :thumbsup:

Really like your run-time charts. Thank you for your efforts. :twothumbs

Good Luck on your upcoming trip.

_

spoonrobot

Enlightened
Thanks for the runtime info! I've been waiting to see how well it works with the different battery types since it came out. I usually run E2s in mine, good to see I'm getting my money's worth.

I've been EDCing my H50 for a few months now and really enjoy the beam it provides. It's better upclose than any other light I've used or seen.

clg0159

Enlightened
Excellent review Selfbuilt! Thanks for the runtimes, this light is impressive in this price range!;) Keep it up Zebralight

nzbazza

Enlightened
Thanks Self-Built for the review and especially the runtime graphs. I was just wondering - do you have a number for converting your relative outputs into lumens?

A couple of other things, Zebralight have said that the levels are constant current controlled hence this would account for the high efficiency you noted, and the LED lens actually has some TIR elements incorporated to reduce the infamous "cree rings".

The H50 is definitely one-of-a-kind headlamp and Zebralight have more products to lighten our wallets with on the way.

Enjoy your holiday!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for support everyone - and the extra info and input! :)

Thanks Self-Built for the review and especially the runtime graphs. I was just wondering - do you have a number for converting your relative outputs into lumens?
Well, my method is very similar to Doug (Quickbeam) on flashlightreviews.com, and my lightbox numbers are generally similar to his (maybe a little lower overall). I know he calculated rough conversion factors to lumens for incans and LEDs.

But I don't have a lot of faith that my simple lightbox accurately reports output differences over a wide range (i.e. I think really bright lights are underestimated, and flood lights are over estimated). So I've shyed away from trying to give lumen conversion estimates.

Take the numbers for what they are - one particular lightbox run in as consistent a manner as I can. :)

And thanks for the heads-up about the constant current - that would be believable given the runtimes. I'm curious to see the low mode, but that will have to wait until I get back ... :whistle:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt,

Excellent review. I really like the Zebralight and can't wait until their new products come out!
Do you think you could do a runtime test on the medium level with an Energizer L91 Lithium?

cy

Flashaholic
excellent review!!!

I'm getting much shorter runtimes on high, which my preferred level due to all flood.

did 14500 make connection without dab of solder on board? my 14500 are flat top and will not make contact. can't put solder without breaking locktite bond. what ever glue is used is strong!!

Patriot

Flashaholic
did 14500 make connection without dab of solder on board? my 14500 are flat top and will not make contact. can't put solder without breaking locktite bond. what ever glue is used is strong!!

Mine is working with the AW. It's just that the tailcap is cranked down a little tighter.

Selfbuilt, thanks for the best review yet of the H50. I still can't believe how small this light is compared to every other AA light. I've been using the heck out of mine.

nuggett

Enlightened
I did not know the 50 would support li on batts. Thanks for giving that a go.

cy

Flashaholic
what's the difference between zebralight Q5 and H50 Q5? both with cree

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
did 14500 make connection without dab of solder on board? my 14500 are flat top and will not make contact. can't put solder without breaking locktite bond. ... what's the difference between zebralight Q5 and H50 Q5? both with cree
I'm also using AW protected 14500s. I only have a hard time turning on the light with one of them, likely because it's a bit longer than my others (i.e. it's a issue with the tailcap not being screwed on all the way, therefore not making contact). I can still get it to come on, but it takes a real crank of the tailcap with that one particular cell.

As the "H50" reference, that's just what was printed on the packaging. :) I mention it to help differentiate it from future models Zebralight is planning to produce. We all have gotten into the habit of simply calling this the "Zebralight", but they have revealed an intention to make other models (e.g. H30 headlamp with primaries). The H50 currently comes in a P4 and Q5 Cree models.

I did not know the 50 would support li on batts. Thanks for giving that a go.
I didn't think it supported 14500 originally either, but then I saw Mev's report on lightreviews.info, and confirmed it on the Zebralight site.

But there is one major difference between what Zebralight claims (and Mev confirmed) and my sample: they report the light is dimmer on Hi on 14500 than it is on Med/Lo (which are identical in intensity). Med/Lo are indeed the same on mine, but Hi on 14500 is insanely bright (so bright in fact that I don't believe it is safe to do runtimes at this level, even with a cooling fan).

Maybe anyone else out there with one of these could chime in with their experience? I wonder if mine is an unusual phenomenon. :thinking:

Last edited:

Philbee

Newly Enlightened
Well I was going to try my H50 with a LiIon for you Selfbuilt but it appears to have died after only a weeks use. :sigh:

On the lower 2 levels the LED glows faintly green, so low that there is no reflection on a white wall from 1 inch.
Switching to the 3rd level it flickers before coming bright.
I've used DeOxit but still the same so have sent an email to ZebraLight.
Such a handy and versatile little light too so hope it can be replaced without too long a wait. :(