Powerizer or Tenergy D cells?

Which D battery do you think is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
I've got Tenergy's 10,000 mA/hr D-cells, but not Powerizers, so I can't make a comparison between those two. I do have Accupower's LSD 10,000 mA/hr D cells called 'Evolution' that I got from Thomas Distributor and the Evolutions are a bit better and much more expensive at about $11-12 each. I don't have a rig to test D cells to measure their acutual capacity but the Tenergy's are a 'mild okay'. Like many batteries that are over rated I am not sure if I am getting a full 10,000 mA/hr possibly more like 7500 mA/hr and that observation is based on side by side comparisons with batteries that have been tested and measured and used in a D cell adapter.

I haven't made any load measurements but I am sure they can discharge at 1C to 2C without a hitch.

I probably will only be buying LSD D cells from now on for the simple reason is that these large non-LSD cells are so expensive at approx. $8 a pop, that I don't want to have a whole set of them discharge before they get used. Charging these full capacity NiMh cells is a time consuming thing and to recondition them can tie up a charger for a day and a half.

theone

Newly Enlightened
www.overstock.com has these C and D Accupower LSD for better price. It's really a good deal with frequent offer like free shipping or 10% off total order.

Theone

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.overstock.com has these C and D Accupower LSD for better price. It's really a good deal with frequent offer like free shipping or 10% off total order.

Theone

Good deal on the C size, the D size isn't that much cheaper than Thomas Dist. and it's quite different looking.

Note the overstock model number is -1 and the Thomas model numer is -2 on the C battery pack. Whatever that means ;)

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
some old 8000-9000ma sanyos :) or them new (accu) LSDs
but those werent in your choices :-(

you know why i dont have any powerizers? because they all failed after about 30-40 cycles, and i tossed them, but if i remember right silver got some good tests out of them.
the tenergy to me is just going to do the same thing.

them old sanyo , slightly lower powered tanks were built to the hilt, took major discharge loads and worked almost as good as the newer higher capacity stuff, even YEARS later. WHEN used in a high current situation.

with a heavy discharge load like your talking about , you would probably prefer a lesser capacity battery that handels more juice .
its just like when doing hotwire junk , and using 1650-1800-2000 MA AAs , they might not have the capacity, but that is BECAUSE they are built like tanks.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
some old 8000-9000ma sanyos :) or them new (accu) LSDs
but those werent in your choices :-(

you know why i dont have any powerizers? because they all failed after about 30-40 cycles, and i tossed them, but if i remember right silver got some good tests out of them.
the tenergy to me is just going to do the same thing.

them old sanyo , slightly lower powered tanks were built to the hilt, took major discharge loads and worked almost as good as the newer higher capacity stuff, even YEARS later. WHEN used in a high current situation.

with a heavy discharge load like your talking about , you would probably prefer a lesser capacity battery that handels more juice .
its just like when doing hotwire junk , and using 1650-1800-2000 MA AAs , they might not have the capacity, but that is BECAUSE they are built like tanks.
I was looking into the LSD cells and if need be I'll get them. Do you have a link to the Sanyo cells?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed that I can comfortably fit four Eneloops side by side in an unmodified Maglite. So a 4AA to D parallel adapter filled with Eneloops would be one option for getting an effectively 7000 mAh D cell.

However when currents reach 10-15 amps at low voltage you start suffering significant resistance losses in the circuit. Under those circumstances there is a good argument for a redesign that moves to higher voltages and lower currents. If you use instead a 4AA to D series adapter the current becomes 2.5-4.0 amps for the same delivered power. Reducing current by a factor of 4 reduces resistance losses by a factor of 16.

For this reason, I think AA to D series adapters are usually to be preferred over parallel adapters.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking into the LSD cells and if need be I'll get them. Do you have a link to the Sanyo cells?

nope i do not, i got them locally from a battery pack maker guy, and i dont even remember which one. hey they worked for that long :) and at some .8-1C discharge load.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to just get the quality LSD cell from TD. Silverfox, feel free to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.