1000 Lumen U2 clone finished

cpfmember

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody

I am currently modding my 2 SF U2 clones from Kai to accept:
- 7xRebel100 and flower holder and
- mr11 4x cree holder from cutter => I just finished this mod, see post 4 for description and pictures

Both version should be able to push around 1000 lumen powered by a shark. Of course this could be regulated down in cases longer runtime would be needed. But I am more into "bright as possible" lights as I don't use them for a long time continuously.

The only thing I am missing now is the heatsink.

The easiest way would be to use pieces of aluminum or copper with the dimension of 1cm in height and 2 respective 3cm in diameter.

Does anybody know where I can get these from?

Thanks

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Heatsink for 1000lumen U2 needed

I don't think your light will work.

The Shark will not run correctly with 7x LED's powered with 2 cells. You would be pulling probably 3 amps from R123 cells.

The Shark would overheat and shutdown.

Mac

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast

In addition to what Mac said, I think seven LEDs (even Rebels) would be too much of a thermal load for a heatsink that small. Your limit with this setup would probably be three Rebels for a practical air-cooled light.

cpfmember

Newly Enlightened

Thanks guys for the tip with overdriving the shark with 7 Rebels from 2 batteries. That's why I first finished the mod with the mr11 4x cree holder from cutter (narrow beam).

Right now I running it with 1 amp on two R123. This is about 7 watts to the LEDs and should be around 600 LED lumens from the R2 rated Crees. And it very bright for the size. I shortly tested it with one 18650. Then I get 2.5 amps for the same amount of light (the difference must be the loss of the shark).
With the second stage of the U2 I get around 3 watt (with some loss on the resistor). Still plenty of light and comparable with the SF L1 on high (just with larger hot spot)
The beam is a mix between flood and spot (I think comparable to the L4 beam).
Of course I tested the light with 2 amps from two R123 as well. What can I say. AWSOME this would be close to 1000lumens. And all this out of such a small package.
Btw right now I am using metal disk as a heatsink (found nothing better so fare) but as I know that this is not the best solution I will stick with the low 7 watt for the time.
I have added some pictures for those that are interested:

Beamshot modified U2 on the left, stock CREE SF L1 on the right
RIMG0106.jpg

Size comparison fake U2 against SFL1
RIMG0108.jpg

The whole drop-in
RIMG0109.jpg

Front view
RIMG0107.jpg

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Re: 1000 Lumen U2 finished

Thats not a U2.........

Yeah, a bit of a misleading title for a thread - this has nothing to do with the SureFire U2 flashlight. :thinking: Maybe "1000 Lumen U2 Clone finished". :shrug:

Either way, nice job!

:) john

cpfmember

Newly Enlightened
I never stated this is a SF U2 (acutally I posted that its the one from Kai), but anyway changed the title to avoid any mix-up.

cpfmember

Newly Enlightened
jasonck08:
Of course am I still intereste in a better heatsinking (espesially now that I see that 4x cree are a valuable alternative to a P7).
If you can share the idea with all interested modders, then post it here.
Otherwise I happily wait for a PM......

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mention: "1cm in height and 2 respective 3cm in diameter."

I have a heatsink sitting right in front of me that is 3x3x1cm. Would this be about the size your looking for? Would It need to be cut or rounded to fit? Sorry, I don't have a U2 clone...

Latest posts