Malkoff        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 400W HID Thor

Flashaholic

Default 400W HID Thor

My 400W metal halide Thor modification is now ready. This is a seriously fun toy even if it's a backpack system. Here are some pics.

But first the main specs.

- 10MCP Thor serves as the host
    - 400W PAR64 metal halide (short arc) lamp, about 30000 lumens and 6000K by chinese manufacturer, 700 hours life
    - 400W electronic 110 VDC input ballast from china, has also dimmer function with potentiometer something like 50-100% power, didn't take advantage of this yet, but it works...
    - Battery pack is made of 15 x 7.2V 3000mAh Nimh Sub-C RC batteries, 120 volts when charged
    - Runtime limited to about 20 minutes so not to kill any of the 90 Nimh cells in the pack, once tested full 30 minutes, and batteries were not empty still
    - I charge two RC-packs in series and with two chargers thats 4 of the 15 packs charging simultaneusly
    - There is a volt meter, on/off with one of Thors stock swiches, connected to 12 RC packs, I use the ground wire in the 3-pole power cable to get this signal from the batteries
    - 80mm fan cools the lamp, can be swiched on/off with a button, blue led indicates if fan is on
    - 2 x 40mm fans in the ballast

I quess that's it.

Or did I forget something...

Battery weights about 5kg. No problem with a backpack.

The 400W electronic ballast has been bolted under Thor's belly. Thor is actually sitting on it.

I opened the ballast and drilled three holes to the aluminum top plate to allow sturdy fastening with screws and nuts under Thors belly. Also the ballast internals can be seen in the background.

The 400W metal halide bulb, about 30k lumens and 7mm arc lenght.

There is some fire proof fiberglass fabric installed between the PAR64 lamp and the plastic parts to allow about 20 minutes runtime without anything melting .

80mm fan is used to cool the par64 lamp. Air is pushed in from the rear and warm air exits from the stock ventilation holes around the bulb.

Quick shootout between Larryk14 and 400W HID Thor. 200 meters to the target tree. Camera settings are 6" F5.6.

The HID thor gives much higher spot brightness but actually the LK14 might have better flood. This is what I wanted, more spot intensity and throw compared to the LK14 but still with monster lumens.

The white balance of camera was not locked. Maybe the warmer color temperature of the halogen gives it some advantage. The metal halide is about 6000K. HID beam appears more intense. Overall the good old Larryk14 is a suprisingly tough competitor but the HID delivers quite scorching hot spot.

I think next I will do something like 1000 meters shoot out, looks like the HID Thor 400W is more a thrower.

Reference pic.

Larryk14

400W HID Thor

Last edited by ez78; 04-12-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Default Re: 400W HID Thor

Aika makee lyysä!!
    Polarion Night Reaper, PH50, PH40, PF40 +10 battery +18 filter.

Flashaholic*

Impressive!

looks like a nicely done mod! Good job!

If you know, what starting voltage was your Larrky14 at when you turned it on and what was it at when you snapped the shot (or how long between starting the Larryk14 and snapping the shot?)
    WWII 60" Carbon Arc (Sold), 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600W M-134 Light, 500W X-500-14s, 500W Starburst, 500W A120b, 450 Watt AEG German Leopard 1 Tank Light, 300W Locators, Megaray, 150W Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, Syniosbeam by Enderman

how much is the whole setup?

AWESOME light....
    M@g 623->633, M@g 250, M@g 5761, Penta Cree Q2 M@g (Maxflex), 35w HID Spotlight mod,
    M@g Aspherical Q5, M@g P7, Triple M@g P7(DW)

Flashaholic

Hi BVH,

Thanks. Larryk14 was running with about steady 29V when the shots were taken. I have a volt meter in the light. Also the batteries were equipped with insulation against the cold weather. My Larryk14 now uses a 10Ah Nimh battery setup, gives nice steady output. Fully charged it is about 34V and holds at about 29 volts for couple of first minutes when running.

Flashaholic

rizky_p,

Parts were about 700 euros, about $1000. Maybe not the cheapest setup. But It's amazing fun to go take a walk with this thing. I actually like the cool white blueish output too. Looks special and draws attention too, haha. I think my first photos didn't really do justice to this thing. I'll learn to use my camera and take more shots in the future.

Flashaholic*

YOU'RE A MANIAC! I LOVE IT!!!

Question: Why did you even bother using the Thor housing?! For a light like that you need to get something custom machined baby!!

Ooooh - Nice and cool pics too. What's a 400w HID bulb run? Expensive I'm guessing.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Flashaholic

Haha, thanks scott.

I am proud to be a maniac in this field. It's fun, lol. I quess I like this Thor shell since it provides at least some stealth element to this monster light. It's fun when someone is expecting a normal Thor output and this is 10X+ Thor. Although there is about one minute wait for the full brighness it is actually instantly kind of bright when swiched on, like normal thor or something. And after that the real fun begins.

wooooah amazing!!

man nice mod I LOVE IT ^^ can u give us some details to your construction? and maybe some more beamshots, im totally impressed by this ^^

......well 700 euros are quite a lot but, not for this

btw: how well does the Powercon work? *
    edit: erm skip that question POWERCON!!!!
    Last edited by Nos; 03-07-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Super Moderator

That is a TERRIFIC light! Superb work - what a mega-monster!

Lol, would I be right in saying that when you finally switched it off, there was a hissing noise and steam rising from the blackened trench where the snow had melted all the way to that now severely scorched tree?
    Resistance is futile...

hmmm im really thinking about eating 3 month only water and bread to found this mod

all thumbs up!! whats the name of that mod?

Flashaholic*

Woohoo! That's awesome.
    Looks VERY "Back to the Furure" meets "Ghostbusters". Don't cross the streams!!!!
    What a ripper!
    Kind Regards

David

Flashaholic

Hi DM51,

Haha, I quess that tree might not grow any leaves next summer, but it was spectacular ending for it. I might go and chop it down and warm my sauna with it.

Flashaholic

matrixshaman,

The PAR64 400W metal halide short arc lamp was about $170 delivered to me. Made in china, seems to be ok quality. They give about 700 hours life to this. We'll see. I'll have a spare lamp soon.

Flashaholic

Nos,

Hmmmh, the powercon connector/plug system is working nicely. No problems with 120 volts and about 4 amps. Was this what you meant?

insanee....LOL

Nothing Short of absoulutly amazing ez, I can't believe it. What runtime do you get?

Must feel so good to have light like this, just laughing at everyone with far less, Like me.

My god!

I love it!!!

Shane
    -Shane
    Looking for customer Surefire E series custom components by McGizmo, Leef, Balrog, etc. Also looking for Mr Bulk lights and Fivemega Mag Mods / Elephant. PM me

Would you share which ballast you are using.

Please do a 1000m or more beamshot. this is sooo bright..aah!!
    M@g 623->633, M@g 250, M@g 5761, Penta Cree Q2 M@g (Maxflex), 35w HID Spotlight mod,
    M@g Aspherical Q5, M@g P7, Triple M@g P7(DW)

Flashaholic

Hello Flashanator,

It's about 20 minutes with fully charged batteries. This I have managed many times. I want to be safe and not to kill any of the 90 cells. Theoretically the battery pack is good for about 45 minutes hot from the charger. I have once run this 30 minutes. But I can't actually trust the volt meter, it's more like last reminder. I use a timer. By the way the volt meter is connected to 12 x 7.2V RC packs, because it only has so many digits, 100V max...

Oh also. At second glance It appears you're using Kyosho plugs on your battery packs. Have you thought of switching to Deans for a little less resistance? that's what I use on all my packs on my R/C cars.

Shane
    -Shane
    Looking for customer Surefire E series custom components by McGizmo, Leef, Balrog, etc. Also looking for Mr Bulk lights and Fivemega Mag Mods / Elephant. PM me

Flashaholic

Very good ez78, It looks to have very good beam for that size arc in
    8" reflector. and lots of lumans.

Cool

Dave

Flashaholic

Hi there Hallis,

The primary circuit is permanently done with crimp connectors. Will easily handle the 4 amps, basicly it's just solid wire all the way. For safety there is a 20 amps fuse in the middle of the battery pack that I usually remove when I store the battery. Only the charging plugs use Tamiya connectors.
    Last edited by ez78; 03-07-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Flashaholic

Davekan,

Yeah I was actually expecting more floody device too. But was quite happy when I first fired it up outdoors and the beam was tight and delivers light very far away.

Hmmh, maybe I could also do a video of the startup. 0-1 minutes with something like the Illuminator already running in the backgroung...
    Last edited by ez78; 03-08-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Popcorn Re: 400W HID Thor

Congrats on the successfull completion of this super-project ez !!

Looks very impressive!

Can you take some more beamshots with shorter exposure time, I think the difference with the LK14 will be more noticable..

Enjoy it..

Best,

Ra.
    The proof of the existence of intelligent extra terrestrial life lies in the fact that they didn't contact us yet...
    Maxablaster MB Beamshots 10Watt Mini HID SSC Microblaster!

Flashaholic

Hi Ra,

Yep, the pics are little bit over exposed. Next time I will use lower exposure. Altleast with this distance and snow on the ground.
    Last edited by ez78; 03-08-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Really great job. I really love the voltmeter, switch, and the blue LED. I imagine people look at you walking with that!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast