How many Black Surefire L1's ??

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I've only seen one member here with a Black L1.....

How many are out there?:thinking:

DM51

Flashaholic
I have one...

L1-BKvsHA.jpg

shroomy

Newly Enlightened
This is perhaps a bit off topic, but I think it's still within the same vein as this thread, but take a look at this. It's not mine, and I don't know the owner, but it looks like a newer version black l1. Do you guys know how many runs of black L1s there were?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH MAN!!! Thats looks bad-***!

I gotta get me one of those!!

Nice lights guys!

I need to find an older L1 and get the internals and the head, tailcap anodized black to match my Black L1 body.

I have the main part of a Black L1....

002-5.jpg

scottaw

Enlightened
Ohhhh man, WHY did you show me that pic? I thought L1-BK only came in 4 flat short head variety... Now there's a TIR long clip one....arghhhh

dougie

Enlightened
it always seems such a shame Surefire don't offer all of their product line in HA black as I've a feeling (and I agree that it isn't substantiated) that black would sell as well, if not better, than HA natural?

Doug

tedjanxt

Enlightened
it always seems such a shame Surefire don't offer all of their product line in HA black as I've a feeling (and I agree that it isn't substantiated) that black would sell as well, if not better, than HA natural?

Doug

Don't quote me on this, but isn't black HA generally HA-II as opposed to natural, which is HA-III, thus harder?

I could be wrong...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Don't quote me on this, but isn't black HA generally HA-II as opposed to natural, which is HA-III, thus harder?

I could be wrong...
There's no such thing as "HA-II".
It's either type II or type III.
Another name for type III is "Hard Anodised" (HA).

As for coloured HA being different to natural HA - yes - it generally is.
The colouring is a dye that fills the pores in the anodising growth which is then sealed, I believe, by being dipped in boiling water.
This process means that the pores can't act as 'crumple zones'.

Another consideration is that natural HA looks quite similar to the aluminium alloy substrate compared to coloured anodising for which the contrast is far more obvious.

Yet another consideration is that colouring anodising implies that there should be some importance placed on ensuring that the colour shade/hue etc is consistent from one part to the next so the completed product is colour matched. I suspect that this detracts in some cases from the 'hardness'.

Al

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another consideration is that colouring anodising implies that there should be some importance placed on ensuring that the colour shade/hue etc is consistent from one part to the next so the completed product is colour matched. I suspect that this detracts in some cases from the 'hardness'.

Sufficient process control would ensure parts consistent in color and hardness.

altermann

Enlightened
who could tell me, the L1 black were only 1st 2nd 3rd Gen? or 4th 5th 6th generations were also produced in black edition ?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
who could tell me, the L1 black were only 1st 2nd 3rd Gen? or 4th 5th 6th generations were also produced in black edition ?

In post #5 there is a link to a guy having a 6th gen in black. And flashlightguide doesn't specify that they were only available in the early gen1 or gen2 versions. I'd surmise that since they were a special order item you could order them thru out all of the generations.

altermann

Enlightened
In post #5 there is a link to a guy having a 6th gen in black. And flashlightguide doesn't specify that they were only available in the early gen1 or gen2 versions. I'd surmise that since they were a special order item you could order them thru out all of the generations.

no, it's gen 5 on that photo, but i am impressed,
never seen before