50 watt slim ballast (Looking for)

kabkbak7321

Newly Enlightened
I should have just asked here first!

I am in need of 2 50watt 4300k or 5000k hid kits for a project I'm working on.:cool:

I have done some searching and have only come up with large plastic incased ballasts,I was hoping there where some out there that where slim and housed in metal so I can sink it to the case to help in cooling but I'm having no luck.:candle:

I'm planning on installing 1 in a Power On Board light.And If I can make it fit I would also like to place one in the G&P scorpion 35w.(Yes I did research this light and pulled the trigger anyway what can I say it looks sweet!:crazy:) And there is a little room to play with in there so it might fit.

I just cant find any specs on the avg size of a 50watt ballast.

So if any of you have a link or a sugestion please chime in here.

Thanks KAB

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi KAB,

I modded some lights with this:

hidthor1jw5.jpg

thorhidballop1.jpg

It is a very effective, compact and simple solution with the bulb fitting directly into the p32d socket on the ballast.

You can read the ballast-info at the first pic.. The brand is Auerswald, power 35/50 watts.

After 2 years of service, my modded lights still perform splendidly! One is overdriven at 45/65 watts.

The drawback: Quite expensive (around 260$ each..) Aviable at AElight.com

Hope this helps..

Best,

Ra.

kabkbak7321

Newly Enlightened
Hello RA:bow:

Thank you for the response,Looks like a winner for the P.O.B there is plenty of room for it to fit in there.I believe you found a ring that fit the O.D. of the ballast and very carefully centered and epoxied it to the reflector.Was it difficult to get it centered in the reflector and then set the depth properly?

AS for the scorpion I don't think the depth of this ballast will work,The length of the 18650's will limit what I can use here.the stock light has enough room to replace the 3s-2p pack with3s-3p that will bring me to the upper limit of most ballast's at 16.8vdc and with new cells I will get More AH's(7800) out of it. I would just need to remove the plate holding the batts and ballast and move the batts 1 inch further to the rear.leaving enough room for a slightly bigger ballast then came stock and sink it to the inner top of the case with an aluminum spacer.

So I still need to find 1 50watt hid ballast to shove in their.:eek:

On the scorpion I have noticed that after 15 seconds the light output diminishes slightly and then stays steady till the end of battery life about 55min so with the new pack and ballast i should still be able to last 45 min's or so,but then again if it only lasted 10 min I would still be happy.:faint:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ring I used came from the head of a UK light-canon 100 (10watt HID-divelight)
During operation, I collimated the bulb by moving the ballast in and out a bit (and also tilt a bit) Then fixed it with a few drops of glue, which are easily removable when the ballast needs to be removed for bulb-swap.

This mod needed a mere 6 hours of work..

These ballasts have a fast-start feature: Starting the bulb at high power for a few seconds shortens the startup time. That, combined with the use of partly xenon-filled bulbs, startup time almost is no issue. In my case, with a 4300K bulb, the xenon causes the bulb to start quite blueish (6000K) before the evaporation of the ingredients shift the colortemp towards 4300K in 20 secs or so.

Best,

Ra.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOppsss, double post due to connection problems..

Sorry.

Ra.

Last edited:

kabkbak7321

Newly Enlightened
Well I received the 50watt ballasts today and was able to fit them in both lights,more on that later.The bulb on the POB light was not the same as the new one I had gotten to replace it so I left the 35 watt 6000k one in. What I noticed was the tint went pure white and was putting out the same lumen's as the 50 watt I had placed in there to try and fit it.It (50) centered nicely but I had no easy way to secure it in there so lets keep the 35watt in for now.
My question is will this harm the ballast or just shorten the life of the bulb!
The G&P Scorpion needed the battery pack to be split to make room for the new 50watt ballast and all fits now.I will sink it to the case for cooling after I run he bulb in. But I did try the 35watt bulb just for kicks and it put out lets say 15% more light with my meter than the 50. Is this normal or do I just need to burn in the 50 some to get better output?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 35 watt bulb will not harm the ballast, but indeed bulblife will be affected.
35watt bulbs like Osram and Philips can handle 50watts pretty well tho..

Post some pics if you dare !!!

Best,

Ra.

kabkbak7321

Newly Enlightened
I will place some pics when I finnish the new battery pack for the G&P. I redid the pack to be 4s-2p with 2 extra 18650's I had around.(The light came 3s-2p) The pack needed to hug the contor of the body so I resolderd all the cells while laying in the tube to keep the radius the same.

Then it hit me the cells I added to the pack where from an old laptop and not the greatest and if I remember right the uneven draw on them might make one of the cells blow in a bad way!!!:ohgeez:

So now Im going to buld a pack that is 2 long and 4 wide under the ballast and 2 long and 2 wide over the ballast for 4s-3p of 18650's to up the voltage to the ballast a bit.:twothumbs

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: AELight's site says the 50W round ballasts are for purchase by OEs only. Are their requirements for being an OE a low hurdle?