Do AAA batteries still pop out of the MH-C9000 charger?

smg

Newly Enlightened
I was sold on the Maha MH-C9000 charger, until I started reading several reports of at least one bay refusing to hold AAA batteries while charging. Has this been fixed or is there any resolution to this problem??

smg

Newly Enlightened
Shoot. I thought I was posting in the batteries section :sick2: Mods, can you move this please? Sorry :eek:

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
all I can say is there is no problem with mine, occasionally a couble of attempts to seat it properly, but they stay put once in.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
I've called Maha and spoke to one of their tech support people and they told me, "Yes certain brands of AAA's are not exactly the right length and will have the 'popping' up effect." He didn't have a solution for the problem. If you find a brand of rechargeable AAA that fits for you then it should always fit. It's just some brands don't want to fit in some Maha C9000 chargers.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Smg,

OK, Moved... :)

I have some AAA cells that were salvaged from battery packs. They require a little extra effort to charge with the C9000. My "normal" AAA cells usually have no issues, but on occasion, one will pop back out after it is put in. I usually find that simply putting it back in works.

I don't have a wide variety of brands of AAA cells, but I haven't had too many problems.

Tom

Ziemas

Enlightened
I've never had a problem and have used AAA cells from Duracell, Energizer, Enleoop, GP Recyclo, and Vapex Instant.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a problem with some cells where the plastic label overlapped and covered part of the negative end of the cell. This caused a problem because the AAA contact spring in the C-9000 contacts the very outer edge of the negative plate and not the middle. The cells suffered broken electrical contact, they sometimes popped out, and the cell wrapping got damaged by the spring. Eventually I fixed it by carefully trimming back the wrapping to the very edge of the cell with a sharp pair of scissors.

smg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. I plan on using Eneloops in this charger.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any AAA Eneloops, but AA Eneloops have a design on the negative end that looks likely to cause problems if it were repeated unchanged on the AAA cell. For any AAA cell you buy, check that it has a smooth flat plate at the negative end with no inset ridges or wrapper overlap.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
... the AAA contact spring in the C-9000 contacts the very outer edge of the negative plate and not the middle.
I can vaguely recall that I had one or two AAA Eneloop cells that popped out, but they didn't keep doing it. I don't recall if I did anything to fix them. In summary, it hasn't been a significant problem for me.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AAA eneloops (in the Costco pack) are bare metal on the bottom. The wrapper does not turn the corner. Smooth with just a vague hint of a depression in the center. Fits fine in the MH-C808M.

Last edited:

coppertrail

Enlightened
I had this problem a couple weeks ago when I ran some eneloop AAA cells through a refresh/analyze mode. Seems it only happened in slot 4. I may take a wooden toothpick and slightly bend out the negative terminal contact in slot 3.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
... they didn't keep doing it.
Earlier this evening I had one pop out after almost exactly 10 minutes of charging. The wrapper on the Eneloop AAA is a tiny bit scrunched at one point, so I put it back in slightly rotated; it hasn't popped out again.

I had to find this thread manually. Neither Google nor the on-board search was any good at all. :thumbsdow

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which version of the charger do you have? I've heard this issue was fixed in the newer version. I had one of these chargers, newest version, but never charged any AAA's.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it starts with 0G0 it is the revised version. Any letters after that just indicate a batch number. They all have the same firmware.

If there have been any changes to the mechanical handling of AAA cells, you can easily see. Just look at the lower part of the contact spring near the display where AAA cells go and see if it contacts right at the outer edge of the negative end cap or somewhere nearer the centre. In mine the spring connects at the outer edge and AAA cells easily pop out.

Last edited: