• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Badboy 1000 on 2AA NIMH?

wildstar87

Enlightened
I did look for threads on this, but couldn't find a definitive answer. I just made my first sandwich with a Madmax+, and am really happy with it, but I have another MM host, and want to try brighter.

I'm not sure if a Badboy 1000 can even be run by 2 NIMH batts, so I'm asking if it can be done.

I'm also curious if the Badboy 750 would be any brighter than a MadMax+, they "seem" to be putting out the same current to the LED, but I also saw a comparative chart that seems to indicate the BB750 would still be brighter.

I'm running this to a Cree Q5 LED.. Thanks for any info!

Russki

Enlightened
It is not recommended to run high current board in Mini Mag light, because of poor heat transfer.
In my opinion BB500 will give you best combination run time and brightness.
Cheers. :laughing:

wildstar87

Enlightened
I understand the heat issue, I'm just wondering if BB1000 can be run effectively with 2 NIMH batteries, I probably wouldn't use it for long periods, I'm just more interested in making one and seeing how bright it is.

But what I don't want is, for me to buy one, and put the batteries in, and seeing it not power up at all, because the NIMH batts aren't enough voltage to run in regulation.

Russki

Enlightened
I build sandwich using goldserves 500/50 piglet.
Initially 2 rechargeable puling around 800 mlAmp. , and it works just fine.
I guess will be no problem with BB1000 also.:thinking::poof::D
Unfortunately AA is not really popular on this forum. :thumbsdow

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just read that the BB1000 has a minimum input voltage of 1.6 Volts. I don't have any experience with this converter using 2 AAs, but I do have some indirect experience. The GD1000 buck/boost has a published minimum voltage of 1.8. I've tested a GD1000 with voltages from 2.0 through 4.0. This converter works beautifully above about 2.7 V using a 3.5V @ 1.0A CREE XR-E Q5, but below this it begins dropping out of regulation. It's noticeably dimmer at 2.4V. That tells me the lowest published input voltage is not necessarily guaranteed to result in full regulated output current. How that relates to a BB1000 I don't know. I've got one built into an old light using 3 sub-c NiCd, running a fairly high Vf LuxIII, which has worked just fine. It's probably not revision 4 though. I'll give that a whirl below 3V and see what happens. :sick:

I am one of those not-so-common non-RCR123 junkies. AA Eneloops are currently my favorite cells due to the extremely low maintenance, decent energy density compared to protected RCR123s, and ease of procurement (Costco). They're not the shortest, but I have fairly large hands, and the 2-AA configuration seems to work very well for me. :sigh:

BigBoy

Enlightened
The technical data link provides this information:

Critical parameter is 1.5 watts input.
Efficency .8.

So 2.4 x 1.5 x .8 = 2.9 watts.

Assuming a decent Vf of 3.5 your absolute max amperage would be 800 ma.

This all depends on your batterys being able to hold 2.4 volts under load. You also need to consider resistance in you battery connections etc. I wouldn't personally go for more than a 700 ma version.

Bob