Suggest me a light for mushrooms collecting:-)

claustro

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
A friend of mine is searching for a good light for replacing his big and old 3 D maglite. He 'll need a light for long walking during the seasonal mushrooms search :)

His need:
-Great light output at least as a 3d Maglite
-No li-ion battery , he prefears standard NiMhD C or AA cell for costs reasons
- Not bigger of a 3 d maglite
- He needs to see 10 meters away so, I think not needed for a big trow

It is very difficult for me giving him an advice so I am asking for your help!
Thank you all
Andrea

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D-Rebel 100 should be good for this task. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

Does he need good color rendering? The switch from Incan to LED could take some getting use to. Out of all the current gen LEDs, it seems as if the Rebels are the closest to incans(on average).

Valolammas

Enlightened
I think a headlamp might be more useful for that kind of activitity, so he can have his hands free for picking up & cleaning the mushrooms. The ZebraLight would be an excellent choice.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I've never picked mushrooms before... wouldn't it be easier in the day time?

How important is color resolution? I imagine it would be pretty critical to resolve certain colors to distinguish differences between types. I for one wouldn't want to eat a poisonous mushrom :sick2::green::sick: IMHO LEDs tend to mask certain colors... Browns for example tend to appear more blue-greenish. So you might want to keep that in mind, and not automatically rule out incandescents.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say the SF G2 until I read the no LI-ON. Oh well. The Streamlight Twin Task series would be ideal, with the availability of both bright incan for examining and locating, and LEDs for the wandering between possible locations. Given they come in AA, C, and D, your friend has his choice of sizes and brightnesses. I personally liked the 3C - a little smaller than his 3D Mag, but lots brighter.