LED Drop ins for my Maglites.... did I waste my money??

Landmonster

Newly Enlightened
Well, last night I hastily made some purchases, without really doing thorough research. I only have 3 Maglite flashlights, and I wanted to upgrade them to LEDs. I wasn't impresssed with the LED bulbs maglite offered, so I did a quick google search for upgrades.

I ordered (2) TLE-5EX "extreme" modules for my AA MiniMaglites, and (1) TLE-6EXB module for my 2D Maglite.

I just ordered both last night, but I hope I didn't waste my money. It's a drop im bulb for my 2D Maglite. The TLE-6EXB
http://batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

and
http://batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html are the drop ins for the 2 AA minimags.

What do you guys think about them? I think I purchased them too hastiliy, but they haven't arrived yet obviously.

Zenster

Enlightened
You didn't waste your money at all.

I did the same thing to my Mag's, a couple 3xD cell lights and some Minimags.
As original, I found them to be quite worthless, but with the LED conversions, they became nicely bright and long running lights, and without spending any big bucks to do it.

If I hadn't of done it, and left the Mags original, I can promise that they would have either languished at the bottom of a drawer forever, or I'd have given them away just to get rid of them.

Now, however, I find them to be handy lights that are VERY useful and which I grab more often than I thought I would.

So no, for the money, you did good. While you'll like the LED D-cell conversion well enough, you'll be most surprised by how drastically improved the little Minimags perform.

Landmonster

Newly Enlightened
You didn't waste your money at all.

I did the same thing to my Mag's, a couple 3xD cell lights and some Minimags.
As original, I found them to be quite worthless, but with the LED conversions, they became nicely bright and long running lights, and without spending any big bucks to do it.

If I hadn't of done it, and left the Mags original, I can promise that they would have either languished at the bottom of a drawer forever, or I'd have given them away just to get rid of them.

Now, however, I find them to be handy lights that are VERY useful and which I grab more often than I thought I would.

So no, for the money, you did good. While you'll like the LED D-cell conversion well enough, you'll be most surprised by how drastically improved the little Minimags perform.

What's wrong with the D-cell conversion?

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with the D-cell versions.

What's happened is the little AA-cell LED lights now often will be all the brightness you need, and with rechargeables will always run as long as you want, and the D-cell lights feel like a lot more weight and trouble.

Our D-cell lights are in the earthquake bin for long use when the power's out in rescue situations these days, they're just bigger and brighter than needed.

Landmonster

Newly Enlightened
Nothing wrong with the D-cell versions.

What's happened is the little AA-cell LED lights now often will be all the brightness you need, and with rechargeables will always run as long as you want, and the D-cell lights feel like a lot more weight and trouble.

Our D-cell lights are in the earthquake bin for long use when the power's out in rescue situations these days, they're just bigger and brighter than needed.

Yea, I was asking about my specific D-cell version. Do you know anything about that one?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several TerraLUX drop-ins and find them to be very usefull.C&D Mags with LED drop-ins make great long runtime utility lights.The output may not be as impressive as some other LED lights but few LED lights can compete with the throw these lights produce.There are better lights and even better Mag upgrades but they also cost more.Hang around this forum for a while and you will be able to decide what best fits your needs/wants.

BTW :welcome: Don't forget CPF discounts and my apologies to your wallet.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Scroll down the main page and there is this thread:
2D Mag - TerraLux TLE-6EXB - Underwhelmed

There is no other choice in the price range for a 2D upgrade though. The TLE-6EXB is brighter than a 2 cell Magled that's for sure. There is very little choice when it comes to easy drop in LED upgrades for big C and D maglites. It's either MagLED, TerraLux, or the rare (always sold out) expensive Malkoff Devices that's $75+. However, if you've a steady hand and ok with soldering, then you can upgrade the LED on a cheap MagLED and get something (I believe) better than the TerraLux.

Zenster

Enlightened
What's wrong with the D-cell conversion?

Nothing's wrong with them. It's just that there are so many other lights that out perform a converted Maglite D cell light that it won't knock you socks off.
To me, the AA conversions are "almost" as bright (perceived) as the D conversions if you want to talk about just "light".

But let me put it another way; the D cell conversion really is nice, but it's nowhere near the output of other lights like the Tiablo, MRV or DBS, but it will still light up a back yard in a way that the original Xenon Mag D-cell never could.
For me, the exciting thing about the D cell conversions is that you can get around 15 hours runtime on 3 D-cells.. now THAT'S exciting, and multiplying the output of the original D-cell Maglite by a factor of 4 or 5 is nothing to scoff at.

But the difference in improvement with the AA Maglite conversion is a tremendous change compared to the original, and it's that difference that will knock your socks off.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
> other choice

The $8 alternative (discounted now for multiples, shipping still free)

http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-86-41-1642-15-v-8-volt-1-watt-led-module.aspx

I've got these in the 2, 4, 5, and 6-D Mags, and in some 4xAA Dorcy 'turtle-like' lights that came with far weaker PR type LEDs (sino's early ones) and am giving them away to people lately to make their standard flashlights into LED lights.

I'm sure the tech is outdated -- but they're plenty bright for ordinary uses.

Or this TArget clearance:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_DHZHRmXB0zI...82kJwhBWYVw/s1600-h/image-upload-1-739619.jpe
(different item)

-----
All PR dropins:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/178595

Last edited: