LUMENCRAFT - POLARIS (formerly EOS) - lots of renderings

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumencraft
Ok after a creative break, I would like to show you what we have been up to recently at Lumencraft. I know cpf has had quite a few changes and I have contacted sasha in regards to where to post Lumencraft Stuff. She suggested a separate sub section (like the other ones here) and said she'd get to it once she's past the currently urgent stuff. So until that happens, we will post here in this thread.. what we've been up to.

Here is some info about the GatLight.. however I want this thread to be about the Polaris our new model... but first just an update in regards to the Gatlight since it impacts the polaris.

GatLight
First after having been featured in popular mechanics (blog and Febr 08 Print edition we saw the need to do another round of GatLights... they'll be a bit brighter and have some very minor changes compared to the V3... Those who haven't seen that light yet, it is a pretty unusual design of a pocket flashlight with an awesome user interface...

Polaris (formerly known as EOS)
Then once this next round of Gatlights is under way we want to make the Polaris happen. We mentioned this light previously as EOS and we've shown some photos of a prototype featuring 6 white backlighted sapphires...(other photo) however we went back to the drawing board mostly because in comparison to the GatLight it just wasn't cool enough. If you gave people a GatLight and that EOS prototype to hold and ask them which one they want.. they all said the GatLight. However we wanted to create a light where people would say both.... Anyway so here is what we came up with, still same form factor and size as the EOS... but different...

The light comes in 3 versions...
V3 - Is the Lumencraft Polaris Sapphire
Titanium, sapphire window to showcase the electronics and variable brightness function and underneath a titanium skeleton with laser engraved serial numbers... again that's the plan we don't know yet if we can make that happen at reasonable cost... but that's our vision.

polarisv3-3.jpg

Here is a close up of the translucent sapphire section showcasing the electronics and variable brightness function.. We came up with this idea after looking at high end watches.. they all have sapphire windows in the back to showcase their inner workings... so we figured lets see if we can do the same in a high end pocket light...

polarisv3-2.jpg

or here the ice version.. blue sapphire glass and black AL body...

polarisv3-1.png

Then from this base we tried to go towards more affordable, see what could we do to make the light more affordable...

V2 - The Lumencraft Polaris Wood / Leather
Titanium and Wood
polaris-2-003.jpg

Titanium and Leather
polaris-2-002.jpg

How to get Leather sleeves obviously would have to be determined.

V1 Lumencraft Polaris HA AL
Then the most basic and affordable version would be black HA AL
polaris-1-001.jpg

Here are the specs for all 3 versions:

LED: most likely V-bin LED (3W)!!!

Battery: 123 Primary Lithium

Runtime: 40min (at max. Setting) 250h at min setting

Brightness: Regulated..smooth variable brightness adjustment by rotating the knob in the back.

Material: Titanium-Sapphire (V3) Titanium-Wood or Leather (V2) T6 Aluminum (V1)

Push Button: Yes - located in the center of the knob

Momentary function: Yes

Serial Numbers: Very Likely for the V2 and V3 versions

Size: 3.35 inches long and 0.82 inches wide. We designed the light to make it as small as possible... variable brightness and push button...

Price Target: depends.. the black HA V1 is likely be around $150 or less. The coolest sapphire version we don't know yet if we can make it happen... but that would likely be above $300... maybe close to $400 or more - we'd first need to get detailed quotes... right now its just an idea. And the V2 would be in between...

Anyway so please keep in mind that at the moment these are just renderings... and it will be the same way as it was with the GatLight, for those who followed that journey from long time ago. With the polaris, especially the sapphire version it will be where if enough people want it we'll build it.... so let us know which version you'd like, whether you'd get one, any suggestions, changes...

What I'd like to see happening is that by the time we've launched the new GatLight production round that we have a pretty good overview of the Polaris... and then depending on the feedback make it happen or not......

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
V3 Ti for me! If this is a sign up, Serial #1!

That window is AWESOME!!! :rock:

My only suggestion is giving it some sort of grip - knurling, or raised edges somewhere. :shrug: But either way - nice!

And, is there still a clip/bike attachment planned? :popcorn:

john

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I really like the direction this is going! As far as the LED you say V-bin I am going to have to assume SSC, which makes me wonder if you have some insight on their upcoming availability....

iconoclast

Enlightened
Wow. I really like the direction this is going! As far as the LED you say V-bin I am going to have to assume SSC, which makes me wonder if you have some insight on their upcoming availability....

... or the expected lead time for producing the polaris ;)

Since I already own a Gatlight, V1 and V2 don't seem to offer anything compelling, but if V3 happens, I'm definitely in for one.

Flashlight Enthusiast
the translucent one looks really cool... how much brighter will the newer V3 be

Sable

Enlightened
O...kay.

My first post in months, but....

Man, very yes.

Sign me up for #7 of the translucents!

JohnTz

Enlightened
the titanium tranparent for me please....i would switch over my pending gatlight order for that one.

BargainMonkey

Newly Enlightened
The V3 is really, really nice. Unfortunately not near my price range. I'm down for a V1 though. I really like the look with the tail being anodized a different color than the body. How does the push button work? Do you push harder to increase the brightness just like twisting the tail cap further, or does twisting just set the brightness level and the button turns it on and off?

Sable

Enlightened
Being someone who can't just drop lights in their pockets, is there any chance for a (removable or otherwise) pocket clip on these little beauties? I admit the lack of such has been the sole reason I haven't picked up a GatLight V3...

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walter

Initially I didn't find this thread hidden here. It will be alot better when you have your own sub-section!

Well.... I love your new designs. I especially like the idea of a Sapphire window. Will the window be curved? I presume so. Does this cause any manufacturing difficulties? I especially like Sapphire as it doesn't scratch. I have two Breitling watches. The metal parts of the watch get scratch during my job, but the Sapphire watch face remains perfect.

Very neat ideas. I'm in for V3 and V2 models.

Thanks

David

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Hello Walter!

I would be in for an V2 Ti/Wood. Perhaps with Serial-Number 1...:thumbsup:

Let me know, when to paypal...would yoz also send from switzerland?

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walter,
Not since The initial Gatlight renderings for the V1 years ago have I been this excited over a flaslight. You managed to do it again. From the designs there, it looks as if the sapphire is in tube form? Crazy! Never seen anything like it personally. I really enjoy taking in everything there. I also like your proposed conceptual offerings of multiple trim levels, so (almost) everyone can enjoy the light.

I know things will change between now and when its in my hands (just look at the initial Gatlight tail!) but this looks like yet another ride that will be fun to come along on.

V3 for me, just need to figure out what to sell off first...lights, knives, kidney?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Looks amazing!

But I do have one question, how tough is the sapphire "tube". What if you dropped it on a bumpy surface? Would the sapphire crack?

Either way, I would love to have one(eventually).

Last edited:

Steelbeach

Newly Enlightened
I like the simple elegance (and projected price point) of the V1. I would likely end up buying several (brother, nephews). The leather wrap might look good with a brass tube, ala the classic spyglass...

Pardon the lack of a sig, but I'd hate to list all the lights I've bought after reading about them at CPF - I'm tempted say too many, but they just keep getting better and better!

Long time lurker, second time poster...

Zman

Enlightened
V1 is most in line with what I could afford, buy and actually carry. I think it might benefit from some texture or scallop; basically some feature that provides some grip. Beautiful lights! Can't wait to watch them unfold!