Foxfury Scout
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LUMENCRAFT - POLARIS (formerly EOS) - lots of renderings

Default Re: LUMENCRAFT - POLARIS (formerly EOS) - lots of renderings

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchyled View Post
    Mobile1, I bought one Gatlight V2 and I just want to know if your new project will have the same on/off/dim switch ?
    HI FrenchyLed no it actually will have the V3 user interface. So its a rotary knob containing a push button. Push button for on/off and momentary. Rotating the knob adjusts brightness level... or also turns the light off. The difference to the V2 user interface is also that rotating the knob in decreases brightness, rotating it out increases brightness if you keep rotating it turns off and the light is off. by the way we'll offer a V3 upgrade for the V2 where you can get a v3 driver into your v2..which by the way massively improves user interface etc... should be out in about two to 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by mobile1 View Post
    . . . by the way we'll offer a V3 upgrade for the V2 where you can get a v3 driver into your v2..which by the way massively improves user interface etc... should be out in about two to 3 months.
    Walter,

I am in for my V2 to V3 upgrade!

The big problem with your post is its location, not the light. Nobody looks here. BTW, it was good seeing you again at PK's party!

I like the V3 and I think the trit slots should be inside the sapphire too. In fact I think they should be "behind" the pillars so they cast a glow on the internal parts (slots should go all the way down the inside of the pillars). Lots of trit in there and this thing would be very cool in the dark!

Cheers
    Dave

DATA Yep was fun... I enjoyed talking to Pk's boss.. quite a character... also was interesting to see someone from Lumileds to be there... even though it was kind of scary to hear their comment on the K2 recall - how they can have so little business sense is beyond me ... and kind of arrogant too... but the Seoul guys where there usual fabolous self... even though Lumileds thinks us little guys are not important quantity wise.. which might be true but occasionally some of us consult which can have a large impact....

No worries on that upgrade..we're in the process of making those drivers as we speak.. circuit boards have been ordered.. we got most components... just a couple po's more to go...

Any kinda update on this?

I'd hate to see an idea this great just wither on the vine. It would make me really sad.
    A government is a body of people usually notabably ungoverned.

I'd certainly get a V3.

Why don't you make another thread, perhaps in B/S/T in order
    to allow a vote for those who would definitely be interested in purchasing.

I also think that maybe there is too much choice in the different versions,
    so people are going to be more spread more thinly between them.

Perhaps if you only offer one version (eg. V3) to begin with and then
    take a vote on the no. of potential buyers you may be pleasantly
    surprised?

I hope that's the case anyway.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Well I can try reposting in a little while in b/s/t - though I assume the admins won't like that since they want us here - However I sent Sasha a reminder a week ago but looks like she hasn't had time to read it yet. I'll give her another week... then we'll just have to see regarding this one... either cancel the project or develop it further outside of cpf... maybe do one more post in b/s/t... I'll decide in a week.

Well Walter, I will prepay for a V3!! This, quite the light--and now, I have PayPal with which to spend my money!!!

Karl

Heya Walter,

Whatever you guys have to do - I'd be completely in support.

I did have one question - you'd mentioned how hard it would be to mill a slot for a clip, maybe even having to weld one on...the body seems to look a lot like Don's "PD" design, is there any reason you couldn't do a tapped-hole-and-screw arrangement to hold clips on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sable View Post
    Heya Walter,

Whatever you guys have to do - I'd be completely in support.

I did have one question - you'd mentioned how hard it would be to mill a slot for a clip, maybe even having to weld one on...the body seems to look a lot like Don's "PD" design, is there any reason you couldn't do a tapped-hole-and-screw arrangement to hold clips on?
    One thing I can think of off of the bat is that since the tail isn't fixed, the clip would have to be attached to the body of the light leaving the tail protruding beyond it. Certainly could be done, but not the most elegant of solutions. Come to think of it, the screws would enter the area that the tail threads are located. That said, if it were somehow mounted to the tail itself, do we want a clip tight enough to be useful rotating around that slick looking body?

Just food for thought. Thinking this out made me realize why Walter mentioned something like welding...That wouldn't take up any interior room.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Glad I stumbled across this thread.

I'm in for a V3, and a V2 - V3 upgrade when available.

Trits inside the tube would be way cool.

Come on, don't let this die...!

hey i am interested and i bought a gatlight last year!!
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

Flashaholic

Hello Walter !

YES count me in .......any design....

M,TEX
    M.TEX

If the V1 is around $150 I think it would be a great deal, especially if it had some knurling or grip. If it accepts RCR123a I would probably have to get that one.

The V3 looks just as cool as the Gatlight but still unsure if I'd be willing to shell out that much money for one when the performance can be had in the V1. Though since my financial situation is changing for the better I would have to reevaluate that statement in the near future.

Only problem I see is if the light emitted though the sapphire window might get in the operators eyes when using the light.

Either way this design is very unique so

~CPeng

thanks for your support... to your questions...

Clip: Stillphoto is right... there is really no space in the back where the knob is... there is simply not enough material to do anything other then welding something on. The other option would be to make the light larger in diameter.. but I always find just a little bit larger diameter makes a light look a lot bigger, so we'd like to avoid that.
    Batteries: The v1 does accept RCR123a's with the usual limitations as posted on our FAQ for the GatLight (Lumencraft.net - FAQ).

Light emitting through Sapphire: The way the light is designed right now there should be no light emitted through the sapphire cylinder... other then a possible tritium glow...

i'mm diggin the V1

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

I think there should be some clarification here.

First... I'm sure many of you remember when things were being re-organized here and Walter insisted that he was a Custom Builder and did not belong over at the MarketPlace with the Manufacturers. Believe it or not, his insistance played no small part in the very creation of this seperate forum and the definitions of Dealers, Manufacturers and Custom Builders & Modders. The creation of individual sub-forums was also a by-product of his insistance. When I offered him his own sub-forum back when this forum was created, he told me no and that he would be taking his business elsewhere... which he did... over to Flashlight-Forums.com. I guess that didn't work out well for him... I don't know. I didn't follow along.

Now Walter is back to CPF and not happy with being stuck off in the very forum that he played a very large part in creating! Yes, I told him that I would set him up with his own sub-forum. However, there have been just a few other things around here that have been a little bit more important... server stability being one of them.

I honestly don't care for the implication that it is somehow *MY* fault that Walter is not getting the response to his product that he would like. I asked Walter to provide me with the links to the threads he would like moved to his own sub-forum and I have not received that yet. I don't think it's fair for me to task one of the CPF moderators or administrators with finding Walter's threads and making a list of them. Walter wants the sub-forum... I think he can put a little effort into helping me create it.

And for the record... the Custom B/S/ T forum is NOT for projects such as this. If you don't like that, then talk to Walter about it.
    Mobile apps for CPF & CPFMP now available in Google Play & iTunes!
    Search for "CandlePowerForums" and "CPFMarketPlace"

Walter,

Greta does have a good point, back when she offered up forums you did not want your own. It is not anybodies fault this forum does not yet get full exposure. BUT builders like yourself, Gene and js who live here are slowly building up this forum's awareness and this post now has 1500 views!

Got any new images of the Polaris????

Cheers
    Dave

Ok I think time to post our side of the story.

CPF REORGANIZATION
    We were the reason that I believe cpf considered to not make custom builders and cpf grown builders go to the marketplace. However what happened is that this reorganizations on cpf took a while - 2-3 month and during that time we were expected to be (with no indication of a change) in the marketplace. However at that point we needed a location where we can be found easily and are not lost in bulk-wholesale threads in the marketplace. The current organization on cpf at that time did not provide room for us elsewhere than in the Marketplace.

At that time we were offered a subforum that was easy to find elsewhere which we used - since at that time we had 2 ongoing projects that were hard to find on cpf. The subforum elesewhere avoided all this and provided an easy simple solution.

CPF ADOPTS SAME SUBFORUM STRUCTURE
    CPF meanwhile was going through discussions and changes, and after about 2-3 months the same subforum structure was adopted as elsewhere.

At this point however our project was completed, including the support questions and requests and it was time for me and Kyle to catch up on our day jobs until we would do another round or project... ...at that time a cpf subforum was offered to us and I pretty much replied to Sasha, that now we don't have a need, but later when we do another round or project and there is something to discuss I get back to her.

New projects, new runs
    About 3 or maybe more months after pretty much no posting anywhere I sent a pm (Febr. 13th) to Sasha asking where on cpf she would want us to post new projects, Gatlight and other stuff and also what is expected from us in regards to cpf support etc, I wanted to avoid any misunderstandings.

Location of Lumencraft Posts
    We were told on February 18th that a Subforum would be the best place and Greta would get to it once she'd g through the current giveaway, she didnt say anything of donations/support so at that point we decided to maintain a diamond supporter membership while we have the subforum.

1 Month later
    Since almost a month later we havent heard back yet we figured that the Subforum simply might not happen, so on March 9th we decided to start discussing the Polaris project here in the area where the subforum would have been and thought maybe we can do without one. We noticed that we got about five times less interest/traffic, so about a week later I sent a pm to Greta (March 18th) asking what the status is regarding the subforum and a timeline since the location as mentioned by many was not easy to find - that pm has never been read.

2 Month later
    Meanwhile we thought that we just keep waiting however after 2 months it seemed clear to us that the location here won't work, and the status of a subforum was unclear or more likely not to happen. The interest in the project for those that could find it, seemed good, however the overall number of people that ended up in the thread was still 5 times less, and at a level where developing this product through cpf or discussing it or adjust renderings etc, like we've done with all our past runs & products did not make sense anymore.

DECREASED ACTIVITY ON CPF
    Since traffic was not sufficient and the subforum did not happen nor did we have any indication when it would even after asking, we figured that there is nothing we can do and more or less just abandoned this project, maybe pick it up again at a later point in time or elsewhere...

Meanwhile we've started a new run of GatLights, which in the past I always felt cpf'ers enjoyed reading up on it, also along with many other interesting developments (GatLight in a movie, in popular mechanics etc etc), but I felt it's not even worth posting here if a new product thread is not getting noticed, why would a new production round of an existing one get more traction.... so I just didn't post any of that...

If the subforum happens we can revive these things there... until then we'll just keep a lower profile.

ANYWAY THATS OUR SIDE OF THE STORY

CONCLUSION
    I still believe the same thing I mentioned before the reorganization.

Builders that do flashlight projects, meaning they develop them, discuss the design and build them with strong cpf user involvement provide content and value on cpf. Yes its a symbiotic relationship since builders also get users and the quantity needed so they can sell their creations to them.

However for the most part, builders who take the time to do this through cpf, do not make much of a profit. 95% of the builders make less money with this then with their regular day jobs, its mostly hobby for them they enjoy as much as it is for cpf users reading up about it.

And exactly the same is probably true for Greta who runs the forum and all the admins.

And the conclusion is if anyone of us - builders or admins for whatever reason thinks something does not work anymore, they don't really have to do anything - whether its us doing threads/projects/builds here on CPF or whether its for Greta/Admins, creating subforums or putting up with us - so I just assumed that's what happened with the subforum... maybe we've been so annoying in the past that it got dropped or just different priorities etc.. whatever it is, its perfectly ok, maybe I'd have liked an update or timeline so we don't wait indefinitely and have a conclusion... but at the end we and everyone has the same freedom. Ideally we find some common ground where each other's pains are a bit less than the benefits...

Regarding tracking down our threads so they can be moved:
    Of course I can do that, and we never expected to NOT do it ourselves - no one told us anything regarding when a subforum happens, how the process is etc. I thought we just post a "continued here" in those threads and "continue them in a subforum when/if we get one. So I didnt really expect them to be moved. If they can be moved even better. But if that is what's keeping the subforum from happening, well here are the threads and lets see.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=191813
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=173723
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=174491
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=171147
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=143918
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=171149
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=100190
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=169323
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=163116
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=103210
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=100665
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=91835
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=95239
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=95087
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=75660
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=88343
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=53353
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=95591

Regarding the subforum it would be nice if it were to happen within a week or two.. / or a note that it won't happen within that timeframe.

As I mentioned we do have a current Gatlight build going on, we can see how the polaris project does in a subforum and we also have 2 open competitions left, where photos need to be voted on and free GatLights awarded to the winners...
    Last edited by mobile1; 04-07-2008 at 10:39 AM.

I just do hope the V3 Polaris project does not suffer from the under (mis?) standings!

Karl

Come on Walter, where's the beef? You sure can be a pain in the ass, it is a good thing we love you anyway.

IMHO this whole thing can be easily settled by a Greta-Walter showdown involving the launching of some 20 cream pies each . . . I got $20 on Greta.

Where are the pictures of the new gatlight? Also, how long do we have to wait for the new replacement gatlight converter boards for the gatlight V2?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    Come on Walter, where's the beef? You sure can be a pain in the ass, it is a good thing we love you anyway.

IMHO this whole thing can be easily settled by a Greta-Walter showdown involving the launching of some 20 cream pies each . . . I got $20 on Greta.

Where are the pictures of the new gatlight? Also, how long do we have to wait for the new replacement gatlight converter boards for the gatlight V2?
    +1 let's get this thing settled so we can start talking cool lumencraft lights instead of this little piss fight

Ok.... Greta, just open the subforum and move the mentioned threads and we'll stop "speaking up and forever hold our piece"....

I have heard that once before and it has worked out great.... even got a little toddler running circles around me now

PS Is there a thread somewhere regarding the Sasha/Greta Conversion/name change or scandal (knowing cpf its probably a scandal lol)

Buttrock Re: LUMENCRAFT - POLARIS (formerly EOS) - lots of renderings

Okay, let me just say wow!
    I've completely missed this thread so wherever the heck it's been stuck for the past month+ ... it must have been in the rear end of CPF somewhere. I vote for terrible thread location on that one.

I love my V3 Tuxedo Gatlight, and I'd buy one of your new ones should you make it. (Not sure if I want to prepay after all the delays last time though.)
    Count me in for one when they're ready to ship.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Looks like a cool light. Any rough estimate on timing, like is it planned to release this year? Its probably way too early for much indication, but if you have some idea i'd love to know.

I'm also curious if the adjustment from low to high is faster/shorter than the Gatlight. I love the idea of a button in the middle of the knob though, that will be outstanding.

schiesz

I'm in for a V3 If it is a sure thing I could even prepay.
    C
    Chris

How many interested did you already have Wlater???

Flashaholic

Walter,
    I'm in for a V3. I had overlooked this thread because of the subforum location.

christrose

Thanks... I'll sum it up once we have everything running with the latest Gatlight round.... and we'll likely have 2 options one prepay one without at a bit a higher price.

Regarding adjustment from high to low... it will be the same amount of rotation as the GatLight V3 I find that one ideal...

WOW Wlater dont forget, i was in for prepay for the first EOS Wood...