Pics of my Boker Subcom.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Took these a couple of weeks ago. Decided to post them. Some folks are unclear about just how small and wide this knife is. It's designed by Chad Los Banos. A gentleman through-and-through, who's also a tough-as-nails Corrections Officer. (Took these with my camera-phone. Sorry for the less-than-great quality).

Left side of Subcom with Gerber Shortcut for comparison:
33669qi9.jpg

Right side with a quarter on the blade:
sc1jn8.jpg

Knife in closed position. (Ain't it cute)?:):
23256fh1.jpg

Top view:
subprofilekn8.jpg

Knife in hand:
handyls4.jpg

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and pics. You know I think this is the first time I actually got a good idea how small this knife is. Putting to quarter on the blade was a good idea. Do you find a lot of use for this knife?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review and pics. You know I think this is the first time I actually got a good idea how small this knife is. Putting to quarter on the blade was a good idea. Do you find a lot of use for this knife?

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. The size of the knife is very misleading. I'm glad my pics helped in clearing up that issue.

In truth, I don't find a lot of use for it. The blade is too wide and short for some cutting chores. I carry a Leatherman Micra that is handier. But the Subcom makes a good addition to the Micra. Perfect for heavier cutting chores that the blade or scissors of the Micra wouldn't be able to tackle.

The frame-lock on the Subcom is very strong. The nice thing about the knife is that its length will make it legal in even the most restrictive of places. (Such as where I'm from). That was one of the main reasons Chad designed the knife the way he did. Also, it has a very non-threatening look to it. A real plus.

If you'd like to check out some of Chad's other designs, here's a link:
http://www.clbdesign.info/

Last edited:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw one in person today at Plaza Cutlery, it is one small knife!:wow:

Mayo

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just saw one in person today at Plaza Cutlery, it is one small knife!:wow:

Mayo

I bought mine at a Bass Pro over in P.A.

The guy behind the counter had no clue why they were so popular, but he told me they can't keep the little guys in stock. :D

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
The Warcom , and Subclaw are better for utility tasks . They are great little knives . I have a Rescom on a recoil reel attached to my tool pouch .

Chris

humboldtflyer

Newly Enlightened
Believe it or not, the Subcom is a very handy knife... its size is very deceiving. I use it as an EDC knife along with my Olight t10. It has been a perfect combo for me.

If you are interested in a knife that is a bit larger the Boker Trance is nearly the same design, just a bit longer... I own that one as well, but I tend to carry the Subcom more. it literally dissapears when it is clipped to your pocket. Its great!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom : Thats a sweet looking knife you have there !!! Where did you buy it ?

I stopped by, in person, at a Bass Pro shop in P.A.

Not sure, but it's likely they sell the Subcom on their website too.

83Venture

Enlightened
I have the Subcom & SubClaw. IMO these are some of the smallest usefull knifes around. The Defense forums are generally of the opinion that if you have some idea of what you are doing the Subcom is a good choice, if not go with the subclaw since slashing is almost an instinct.

I also carry the Trance. This is one of the slimmest knives that I have found. Clip it on you pants behind your belt and it dissapears and you can forget you have it on. It opens easily with a little practice, no assisted opening to get anyone upset, stroung blade. The Flipper even pulls the blade up nicely for poor nfortunate people like me who are "Fingernail Challenged".

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom can the boker be flicked open by holding the blade.

To avoid the "gravity knife" law in NYC

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Mine sure can't! The action is smooth but firm at the start.
IMG_1659.jpg

Wharcom with G10 scale V10 Glow Inc powder in Devcon 2-ton epoxy and a large Tritium in epoxy! Sweet little guy huh?
Helen Keller could see this thing!
:party:

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can open mine by holding the handle and flicking the thumb stud. I just had to loosen the bolt a tiny bit and made sure I put a little oil on pivot.
I find it a useful second knife to carry. It's non threatning, small and thin enough to sit comfortably in my pocket but also is light enough for a neck lanyard. It's very secure in the hand despite it's size. The steel is decent enough as well. Overall I find it very useful.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

You've got that completely backwards. If an LEO can flick open a Subcom like that, chances are you're getting charged with carrying a gravity knife. Can't speak for others who own a Subcom, but mine is stiff enough that you need to use the plastic thumbstuds to get it open.

With so little of the blade extending above the handles, in the closed position, it's tough to get a sold grip on the blade to flick it open like that. You could try gripping the blade by the thumbstuds on either end, but they're not designed to work well that way.

This is one knife where you're better off just pushing on one of the thumbstuds to get it open.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I have one, too, beause I think it is cute :D

I have no idea about knives and such, but the little one is definitely small and cool.

bernie

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have one, too, beause I think it is cute :D

I have no idea about knives and such, but the little one is definitely small and cool.

bernie

Many of us who are familiar with Chad and his designs, well; we affectionately refer to his Subcom as.... biscuit. :grin2: