Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast

Thread: AA MiniMag Collection - Part 4

Default Re: AA MiniMag Collection - Part 4

a few shots of my flashlight case and minimag collection..not the best pics

Good looking collection!
    Great woodwork!
    "NASA Houston, We've got a problem, do you copy?"
    "Roger, Apollo 13, we copy. Shut down power and use your flashlights for light."

I ended up with 2 of these...gold AAA mini mag 1988 Olympic ..i would be interested in trading ..its mint unused BTW

Here is a question .
    Maglite recently came out with a newer MagLED 2AA. It is multi-mode ( 100%, 25%, flash and SOS ) It has the old style tailcap with a lanyard hole and the body is slightly shorter. It comes in black, silver, gray, red, and blue.

So far the only one seen is the gray ( thanks merrimac )

I contacted Maglite customer service to see where I could purchase the other colors. They told me they sell to their wholesaler and do not know where they end up. I asked again and they said to check out places like Lowes, Home Depot, Wall*Mart etc.. I was not able to find any online retailers that carry the new lights.

It seems to me, as a consumer, if I want to purchase an item, they should be able to tell me where. These are production lights, and are being manufactured at this time..

any ideas??
    Now I can see the darkness .

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    Here is a question .
    Maglite recently came out with a newer MagLED 2AA. It is multi-mode ( 100%, 25%, flash and SOS ) It has the old style tailcap with a lanyard hole and the body is slightly shorter. It comes in black, silver, gray, red, and blue.
    There are two versions of the new Rebel MagLED 2AA.
    One with the old-style tailcap with lanyard and the other with the tailcap from the original MagLED 2AA & 3AA.

I have a red Rebel MagLED 2AA with the old MagLED tailcap (extra long spring). I haven't seen them with the lanyard hole yet.

The old style ones with the lanyard holes can't be true old style unless they've shortened the battery tube or added the extra long spring.

I would love to see a photo of the tailcap from one of these new Rebel MagLED 2AA with the lanyard hole to see what they did.

The tailcap from an incan 2AA Minimag will not work on the old MagLED 2AA or the new Rebel MagLED 2AA with the old MagLED tailcap.
    Last edited by Black Rose; 09-03-2009 at 09:37 AM.

The latest version of the MagLED 2AA has the original stlyle tailcap with a lanyard hole. it is not drilled out for the spare light. The body is also shorter.

Since there are two versions of the Rebel 2xAA MagLED out there, which one would be more valued to a collector - the one with the shorter body & lanyard hole (Gen 3) or the one with the longer body and original MagLED tailcap (Gen 2)?

I am guessing the Mag wanted to use up the remaining longer bodies and tailcaps before switching to the shorter body and lanyard hole tailcaps.

I would guess the gen 1 and gen 2 would have greater value years from now. That is based on the fact they had a shorter run based on time.

The gotcha is that most of us here did not go out and collect the MagLEDs. They only came in black, silver, gray, red, and blue.

I have a few, but not a complete set of any of the MagLEDs.

Yeah, the Gen 2 had a very short run (a couple of months if that).

I wonder how many of them exist?

I'm not sure how usefiul the serial numbers are on them to determine age, but the serial number on my Red Rebel 2xAA MagLED (I consider to be a Gen 2) is higher than one posted by someone here that has what I would consider a Gen 3 (lanyard hole).

Flashaholic

Rolleye11 Re: AA MiniMag Collection - Part 4

re:serial # , when LED Mini Mag first came out, they had a number only serial, 20000000274 (which i have) Oct/06- then they changed to a alpha/numerical 2T0000.....then changed to 2R0000.... what the T&R stood for ??? the LED emitter has changed several times, and serial # seam to have started over, however serial # hasn't changed with the new (old) lanyard tail cap. I can guess the age could be reflected by the serial #'s change..............merrimac

The Rebel 90 MagLED 2xAA that I bought in May is 2T002607146.

It's too bad that the T & R in the serial number didn't equate to the tailcap change.

The actual number that follows the T or the R may not be a sequential number. The first 2 could be LED type, tailcap type, manufacturing line or some other number. Think the VIN number on a car, it contains lots of information in addition to the sequential serial number..

Flashaholic

the first number referes to the number of cells, 2R000000, i think, likewise all the 3 cells start with 3R00000 much like the big maglite have cell size and number of cells-D30000, C20000, would like to know the reason of the "T" & "R" on Mini Mag

Will, you are right. Maglite should be more responsive to their "collectors." My email inquiring whether the generation 3 would come in DIGITAL Camo like the first two generations has gone unanswered.

Does anyone know a "Distributor?" It seems as though they may be the only ones who know the four W's (Who, What, When & Where.)
    Last edited by Boudreaux; 09-04-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    "Roger, Apollo 13, we copy. Shut down power and use your flashlights for light."

Flashaholic

six LED Mini Mag colors, on top is new lanyard LED Mini, rest of pics LED / Incad comparison

Last edited by merrimac; 09-05-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Flashaholic

Z battery on line has the fullest line of maglite i've seen, the digital camo 2AA has the multi mode led, all 3AA do not so far,merrimac

very nice merrimac!

In case anyone is interested ---

MAGLITE 3"D" REBEL LED regularly $36.88 on sale at Wal*Mart for $25.00. I checked two stores in my area, seems to be a system wide sale. Be careful, the REBELS are mixed in with the old style 3D 3W LED's.
    To differintiate, the old style has an illustration in bottom right corner of two bulbs being swapped; Rebel does not.

Also, spoke to a sporting goods distrubutor (he had no idea of who the Mag Distriubtor is, but is going to check) who said the original style Mini Maglite AA is no longer in production and their warehouses are completely out. Might be a good time to pick up a few spares of readily available colors....
    Last edited by Boudreaux; 09-08-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: edit

Flashaholic

went to Walmart ( Ocala Fl ) they didn't have the sale, went to Sams, no 3D but have twin pac of 3AA mini mag for $ 19.00 less than 1/2 of what 1 cost everywhere else, and they have colors

Sorry, My apologies! Must have just been certain W*M in the Offhaut AFB area. None on sale here in St. Louis!
    Sam's deal does sound good, Mac!

I went to the Wall*Mart here in Florida, no sales, The only 2AAs were the regular mini-mags, They did have the 3AA MagLED, around $25, only in black. Also a few gray and black D cell lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
    Also, spoke to a sporting goods distrubutor (he had no idea of who the Mag Distriubtor is, but is going to check) who said the original style Mini Maglite AA is no longer in production and their warehouses are completely out. Might be a good time to pick up a few spares of readily available colors....

I got an answer from Maglite....

"The original incandescent Mini Maglite AA flashlight is still one of our best selling items and in full production with no intentions of obsolescence."

I started to collect the MagLED AA lights. I have found out a few interesting things about them. To summarize:

The first ones out were single level output, a long body, and a long tailcap. GEN1

The next sets were multi-mode, long body, and a long tailcap. GEN 2

The latest sets are multi-mode, shorter body, and a tailcap with a lanyard hole GEN 3 or GEN 2+ (The tailcap is the same as the original Maglite Mini-Mags except the inside is not drilled out to hold the spare bulb )

The colors are straight forward right now:

Black, Gray, Silver, Red, Blue, and Camo.

I have blister packs from a Gen 2 and Gen 3, colors Silver and Gray

Gen 2 Silver Model NO. :SP2210HJ Part No. 153-000-053
    Gen 3 Silver Model NO. :SP2210HJ Part No. 153-000-073 *

Gen 2 Gray Model NO. :SP2209HJ Part No. 153-000-053
    Gen 3 Gray Model NO. :SP2209HJ Part No. 153-000-053

It looks like Maglite is using the same paper insert in the blister pack, they have been putting a small label over the original model number and color.

I am not sure what the part number means, it may not refer to the light but to the package or package label.

Now - Why is this interesting to the collectors here. If you order a light on line, you might get a Gen 2 or Gen 3 light, the model numbers are the same. I ordered a few Gen 1 lights in the presentation box. They told me the silver was on backorder and they had the silver in the blister pack. I assumed it was the same Gen 1 light as the ones in the boxes. They sent me a Gen 2 light in the blister pack. I don't have the model numbers for the Gen 1 lights in the blister pack.

Another order came with one Gen 3 light and two Gen 2 lights. I sent an email to the retailer and they told me they have a mix of Gen 2 ( red, blue, black ) and Gen 3 (silver and gray ) lights

I guess the message here is if you want a specific Gen light, call or email the retailer and have them verify what they have in stock. Also of importance, Don't go by the pictures displayed on the web site. Some are correct, some are not.

The brick and mortar stores that I have gone into only have had black or gray lights,

I will end up with just 2 duplicates, I'll probably strip them down and get them nickel plated at some time in the future.

Something to consider - Should the MagLED AA lights have their own forum? or just keep all the Maglite AA lights together.

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    Should the MagLED AA lights have their own forum? or just keep all the Maglite AA lights together.
    All AA's in one is okay by me. I may have to start buying the LED models.

Will, have you seen the plating service that modamag is offering in BST? Lots of options.
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by sunspot View Post
    Will, have you seen the plating service that modamag is offering in BST? Lots of options.

I just checked it out. I had a Mini-Mag Chrome plated on the last run. Terrific job, nice look for the light. Reasonable turnaround time, Modamag is first rate..

Given that the original incans will remain in production, I would like to suggest that a new thread be started for discussion of the minutiae of the MagLED lights and this thread be left to it's original purpose of documenting/supporting collections of the standard incan MiniMags.
    Trees don't grow on money either.

new led thread

I have linked to new thread in post #1 of this one. Will someone submit a request for a sticky.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

There is an AMERICANA set listed on Ebay:

AMERICANA BY MAGLITE COLLECTIBLE EDITION 1997

Item number:280404440720

Greetings to my fellow collectors: I never never been a fan of the maglite for their innovation so not much interest in the LED version. Collecting them? Not for me but to each there own, glad a new thread is started.

Pretty quiet......I wish you the best with your "hunting" and I hope you are enjoying just that the thrill of the hunt for a special light to add to the collection. They are very rare.

Question Maglite Logo

What year did Maglite start putting the cat logo on there flashlights?

I found my Mini Maglite under the kitchen sink when I lived in my old apartment; I just wanted to get a general idea what year it was made...

Mine looks exactly like the one posted here.

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast