P3DQ5?

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
have a question for those of you that have a Feinx P3D5Q. i purchased one from a very stand up gentleman from another forum whom has already said i could send it back but i just want to check before i put him through any hassle. if you compare your P3D5Q to a P3D(if you have one) does the color of the light seem yellow instead of the cool blue/white of the P3D? i noticed this when i first put batteries in it and thought maybe it was just the batts, so i switched the batts with the ones in the P3D i have and same yellow tint. he has told me to send it back to be inspected but i want to know if there really is an issue first. also its not as bright on the same settings as the P3D. i have cleaned the contacts to make sure there was not oil or anything causing a power problem and have tried several sets of 123A'a in it. it is suppose to be 215 lumin compared to the 160 of the P3d. buts its no where near as bright. i can post some pics if it will help. any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: P3D5Q?

It's P3D-CE Q5.

The tint might have made the light seem dimmer. Try a throw and ceiling bounce test. The tint is also a factor of the individual LED, so a light of the same make and model can have different tints.

If you don't like it, try to get a replacement.

pbs357

Enlightened

Tint definitely can make a light appear less bright. Unless the head has been unpotted, LED swapped and then head reglued down, if it says P3D Q5 on the head, it's a Q5. Although I will say that yellow tint is rare for a Q5 - the only ones with warm tint that I've personally seen are my Malkoffs and my NDI.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened

sorry, yeah Q5 my dyslexia was kicking in when i wrote that. i expected the color to match my P3D and other LED lights. all my other lights have the same white/blue tint even my cheep ones. the only one that doesnt is a small single AA powered one but it is just a dimmer blue. as i said the seller has offered to take it back and see if there is something wrong. the only thing i can tell is different from looking at it is the LED itself looks different than the one in my P3D. it has a tear drop shape to one end where the P3D had an even round shape. could that be the cause?

Marduke

Flashaholic

sorry, yeah Q5 my dyslexia was kicking in when i wrote that. i expected the color to match my P3D and other LED lights. all my other lights have the same white/blue tint even my cheep ones. the only one that doesnt is a small single AA powered one but it is just a dimmer blue. as i said the seller has offered to take it back and see if there is something wrong. the only thing i can tell is different from looking at it is the LED itself looks different than the one in my P3D. it has a tear drop shape to one end where the P3D had an even round shape. could that be the cause?

Can you try and take a picture?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as long as the tint of the led is not specified and the same, most any 2 lights will differ.

generic808

Enlightened

All my Q5's have a more warmer, neutral tint to them. The ceiling bounce test will verify whether or not it's brighter than your P3D.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened

did the bounce test last night and the P3D is brighter than the Q5. i will get some pics tonight. digicam was dead last night.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

With Fenix they don't specify a tint bin, so you could get 10 P3D Q5's and they could all be different tints.

What kind of reflector is in your P3D's? Are they both textured? My original P3D has a smooth reflector, the newer P3D Q5's from Fenix-store come with textured reflectors. A smooth reflector P3D P4 may appear brighter than a textured reflector P3D Q5 because the hot spot is more focused. However, the P3D Q5 should put out more light overall, and appear brighter in a cieling bounce test.

If your P3D Q5 isn't beating the P3D P4 in a ceiling bounce test, something seems off. Maybe it isn't a P3D Q5.

If you can get pictures up of the emitters we can see if there is anything else to go on. :)

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened

i will post some pics later tonight. i can tell you one thing the hot spot is not even on the Q5 like it is on the P3D. the P3D is round and the Q5 looks slightly oblong.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
just to know the models:

You have
1 P3D that is supposed to have a Q5 mounted, and another
1 P3D with what bin?

and the older "what bin" P3D is brighter?

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened

here are the pics.

P1010476.jpg

P1010477.jpg

P1010485.jpg

P1010481.jpg

P1010482.jpg

P1010484.jpg

same LED in both according to the package just different lumen numbers.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

How long ago did you get the P3D? The original P3D's were a Cree P4, but Fenix-store has said they suspect the newere P3D-CE's (non-premium Q5 versions), may have Q4's in them. So it's possible you have a Q4 and a Q5 and it would be hard to see much difference between them.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened

here are the beam shots at 5ft give or take.

P3DQ5
P1010486.jpg

P3D
P1010487.jpg

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened

How long ago did you get the P3D? The original P3D's were a Cree P4, but Fenix-store has said they suspect the newere P3D-CE's (non-premium Q5 versions), may have Q4's in them. So it's possible you have a Q4 and a Q5 and it would be hard to see much difference between them.
P3D i got for Xmas and the P3DQ5 i got earlier this month.

to add, both boxes state "uses a lifetime Cree 7090 XR-E LED"

lightknight

Newly Enlightened
On your pics the P3D CE shot looks warmer - and I have a hardware-calibrated screen!

But if you look at the door, the white balance seems to be very different on both shots. On the upper one the door is violet-bluish, on the other rather neutral with a slight green tint.

I have a q5 and a ce and the q5 is remarkably whiter, the ce much more yellow.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
Wow, those two shots looks pretty close. I think WadeF is probably right, one is a Q4, and the other is a Q5 (obviously). The difference in output would be very small.

Mylt1

Newly Enlightened
On your pics the P3D CE shot looks warmer - and I have a hardware-calibrated screen!

But if you look at the door, the white balance seems to be very different on both shots. On the upper one the door is violet-bluish, on the other rather neutral with a slight green tint.

I have a q5 and a ce and the q5 is remarkably whiter, the ce much more yellow.

Hope that helps.
well that right there states that there may be a problem. the Q5 is the one that looks yellow and the P3D is the one that looks blue/white. just the opposite of what you have said.