• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

GDx2 and NGx2 Converter Boards

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wayne & Cindy,

How can I find the specifications on the GDx2 and NGx2 Converter Boards? I previously recall Wayne saying they aren't currently at the shoppe yet. However, my McLuxIII PD has been acting up lately, and it's time for an overhaul. Please let me know how I may find out more about them and purchase them.

Max

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may need a tune-up, not an overhaul.

Check the solder joints on the kilroy. It is subject to force every time that you actuate the piston, or twist the light on.

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you explain the problem somebody here might be able to help. The original converters are very robust. Intermittent, usually connection/contact problem.

Hi Wayne & Cindy,

How can I find the specifications on the GDx2 and NGx2 Converter Boards? I previously recall Wayne saying they aren't currently at the shoppe yet. However, my McLuxIII PD has been acting up lately, and it's time for an overhaul. Please let me know how I may find out more about them and purchase them.

Max

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of the X2 converter boards are online at the moment. I keep a few for my own stock and use. In general I don't have sufficient quantities to offer them on a regular basis.

I also have not created the necessary documentation to make them available. It's been a very very low priority at the moment.

What information are you specifically looking for? You can information on them in Dons threads for the lights he used them in.

Unless something is broken I would personally not like to see converter mixed and changed in lights. It causes a huge support issue. Already see this in emails either to me or to Don regarding lights that have changed hands and have been altered with the last person not aware of the changes.

Wayne

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What Wayne said.

An example:

A CPF member had a Ti Mule-Cpak that wasn't performing properly and I had them send it in to me. (There is no express warranty on my builds but what is right, is right). I got the light and quickly determined that the reason it was not performing properly was due to the fact that the Mule head had a DBx2 converter in it which obviously wouldn't work properly on the single cell clickie pak. :rolleyes:

The simple solution and one that would make the flashlight function properly was for me to exchange the converter which is what I did. There was no charge for this to the owner of the light but it cost me time, money and unnecessary concern in regards to what the problem might have been.

Somebody, at some point, swapped some components around with the result of an improper combination. :shrug:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
What information are you specifically looking for? You can information on them in Dons threads for the lights he used them in.

Unless something is broken I would personally not like to see converter mixed and changed in lights. It causes a huge support issue. Already see this in emails either to me or to Don regarding lights that have changed hands and have been altered with the last person not aware of the changes.

Wayne

Wayne,

I'm specifically looking for the current levels that the GDx2 and NGx2 boards are offered at. Ideally, I'm looking for a 150ma/800ma output. I also wanted to know the differences in efficiency between the boards.

My McLuxIII-PD started to flicker last week, and has since completely stopped working. I've changed batteries, cleaned the kilroy and ring contacts, but no luck :shrug:. Fortunately, I do not have any other power packs to change the head with, so it will always stay with a 1xcr123 power combination. This was my best and favorite flashlight, and I now feel lost without it. I hope to get it up and running soon:thinking:.

For now, my EN AMC Mule is the go-to light.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Wayne said.

An example:

A CPF member had a Ti Mule-Cpak that wasn't performing properly and I had them send it in to me. (There is no express warranty on my builds but what is right, is right). I got the light and quickly determined that the reason it was not performing properly was due to the fact that the Mule head had a DBx2 converter in it which obviously wouldn't work properly on the single cell clickie pak. :rolleyes:

The simple solution and one that would make the flashlight function properly was for me to exchange the converter which is what I did. There was no charge for this to the owner of the light but it cost me time, money and unnecessary concern in regards to what the problem might have been.

Somebody, at some point, swapped some components around with the result of an improper combination. :shrug:

Don,

I understand your concern about power paks and converter boards. I really only want my light to function once again. I'm at a lost without it and miss my McLuxIII-PD dearly. Since it has stopped working :crazy:, I figured it is a good time as ever to try out different output configurations. It was a very robust light and would like to see it back in action :twothumbs.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Don or I would be happy to take a look at it and if the converter has expired we would replace it or we could send you a replacement if you would like to swap out the converter board.

As for the drive levels. I can't remember offhand and that's something I'd have to go back and dig up. I believe both the GDx2 and NGx2 were the same current levels. Don't quote me on that tho. :thinking:

The NGx2 is slightly more efficient and would be the better driver for a primary cell 123 light. There should be a lot of NGx2 as that never made it into many lights.

Wayne

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Don or I would be happy to take a look at it and if the converter has expired we would replace it or we could send you a replacement if you would like to swap out the converter board.

As for the drive levels. I can't remember offhand and that's something I'd have to go back and dig up. I believe both the GDx2 and NGx2 were the same current levels. Don't quote me on that tho. :thinking:

The NGx2 is slightly more efficient and would be the better driver for a primary cell 123 light. There should be a lot of NGx2 as that never made it into many lights.

Wayne

You guys are the best :thumbsup:. I'll be more than happy to mail the light to either of you :twothumbs.

As far as the converter boards, would the NGx2 be more efficient with rechargeables as well?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
NGx2? Am I having a brain fart? Is there a NGx2?!?! I recall the original Wizx2 which was replaced by the GDx2 (both buck/boost) and then we have had the DBx2 (buck only) and the new BB which is an "x2" layout and boost only. :thinking: :shrug:

The high was limited on the wiz-x2 and later GDx2 to around 525 mA given the nature of its performance on a single CR123 cell. Higher boost levels didn't give one much of a straight line in output or great runtime.

Tweaking both the low as well as high outputs to specific targets is beyond my ability. I don't recall if the GDx2 has dual flea poop resistors to allow for this or not. Wayne is the expert here. I think you want to go with the GDx2 in this light.

EDIT: The more I think about this, I believe the NGx2 is the New BB that I mentioned and this would work in your proposed application as I would guess the Vf of the LED at 150 mA would still be a boost situation given the CR123 and overhead. This is in alignment with Wayne's comments which hold a lot more water than my ramblings... :eek:

Last edited:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I have an old show and tell board...

t640_IMG_0007.jpg

Wayne

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I stand corrected and certainly confused! If this isn't proof that my memory is not to be trusted, I don't know what is!! :eek:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wayne,

I have my McLuxIII-PD packed and ready to ship. Can you PM or email me at [email protected] to let me know where to send the light? Also, I have a few things from the shoppe I would like to order. Would it be possible to combine shipping when the light is ready to be mailed back? And, ofcourse I will gladly pay for shipping both ways.

Thanks in advance :),
Joel

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
:tinfoil: up to the top, anyone know how I can contact Wayne? Is it best to contact him through the shoppe or this forum?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
:tinfoil: up to the top, anyone know how I can contact Wayne? Is it best to contact him through the shoppe or this forum?

I've checked my inventory and I do not have any GDX2 boards to repair of fix your light.

I have a few NGX2, a few DBX2 and a few NewBB in my inventory.

Wayne

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Well I have some GDx2 converters and I can bring the light back to "stock" function or Mizer level if that is a direction you would like to take. If yes, send me an e-mail for my mailing address.