tle-6exb=dark blue tint,good or bad?

chewy78

Enlightened
I was fooling around with my mag 2d /tle-6exb combo and i was getting a very blue tint when i loaded it up with 3 tenergy 3800mah sub c cells with a pvc tube for spacer. Does the blue tint mean the led is being driven to hard?

The blue tint was very noticeable. I had never seen it do that before.
I'm thinking those high drain batteries are a bit too much for that particular drop in. Is it only designed to be run on 2 or 3 d alkalines?

I have been primarily running it on 2 10,000 mah d accupower lsds.

Last edited:

chewy78

Enlightened
My conclusion is that the drop in was not designed to be used with sub c cells

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've pretty much already figured it all out. What you are seeing is sometimes referred to as "angry blue". A search should turn up a couple of threads. It's caused by overdriving.

chewy78

Enlightened
I had just noticed that the the emitter might not be touching the base causing overheating. could that be the case? i might have to resolder it down. i also noticed that the module worked loose from the heatsink causing the emiiter to lose contact with the base.

Raymond

Enlightened
I don't understand? Aren't they supposed to be for 2 OR 3 cells?

I don't see why it would break down when used with 3 C-cells.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't understand? Aren't they supposed to be for 2 OR 3 cells?

I don't see why it would break down when used with 3 C-cells.

x2... 3SC or 3D should both be the same voltage.

Ive never really understood the value in those drop ins... but to each his own I guess.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub C cells are frequently used in RC car racing packs, portable electric tools, and other applications requiring high drain. They hold up their voltage very well under heavy load.

I'd think that three sub C NiMH cells would deliver substantially more voltage under higher loads than you could achieve with three alkaline D cells. I bet Silverfox knows the answer...

chewy78

Enlightened
I think I will try to get my money back possibly, and just call it a day or whatever. I already got a fenix l2d q5 last week and it wouldnt pay for me to just exchange for a new one. I ll just put my magled back in it..

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Blue Terralux probably means that it was not headsinked. So perhaps it was a defective module.

Mine, not the B model, in my 4D Mag, works very well. It doesn't turn blue. I've left it on for 10+ minutes without noticing any problems.

chewy78

Enlightened
ya i since then had acquired a couple of tle-ex,s and they work great