Fenix light with a clicky, - switch survey

REQ: Must have owned a Fenix with a clicky for >1 yr. Have you had a switch failure?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Requirement:
must have owned a Fenix flashlight with a click-type power switch for no less than a year. If your Fenix has two switches (the mode select), report failure of either as yes.

Same poll for Mag full size here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192332

EDIT:
You can't vote "no" unless you've had it for a year, but if yours failed before you've owned it for a year, please vote yes. Why? If it's broken two weeks after you bought it, it's still broken the next day, and it'd be still broken a year later too. Yes, I added the same edit to Mag poll too.

Vote "haven't had it for a year", if you haven't had it for a year and it's still working correctly.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not up to a year yet with my clickies. Has Fenix had clickies out for a year yet? I thought the P2D's, and P3D's with clickies were still fairly new, and the older Fenix's were twisties.

I've been informed Fenix's L1P was their first light and it was a clicky.

I would think any of the Fenix lights with clickies that are older than 1 year would be discontinued and obsolete now. Their newer lights have improved, so why would we care about their old lights?

Last edited:
I'm not up to a year yet with my clickies. Has Fenix had clickies out for a year yet? I thought the P2D's, and P3D's with clickies were still fairly new, and the older Fenix's were twisties.

Yes they have. L 0/1/2 P and such.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I see you have two clicky failure polls up, did you try searching for the results of these exact same two poles which were previously posted? SF had several also.

I see you have two clicky failure polls up, did you try searching for the results of these exact same two poles which were previously posted? SF had several also.

I don't believe they had the same requirement of one year minimum ownership.

Why don't you include a color choice also??

Because I don't believe it is relevant. Why don't you explain why you think the color choice has any bearing on switch reliability?

The >1 year ownership requirement filters out "I just bought it the other day and yeah, it hasn't failed yet".

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The >1 year ownership requirement filters out "I just bought it the other day and yeah, it hasn't failed yet".

Can you still buy the models you are doing this poll on? Are the 1+ year old Fenix lights still current models? Or have they been discontinued? Also, this would only give us results on their 1+ year old lights. Their current models have come a long way over the past year and maybe much more reliable, etc. So knowing if their 1+ year old lights were good or not doesn't tell us anything about their new lights.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Can you still buy the models you are doing this poll on? Are the 1+ year old Fenix lights still current models? Or have they been discontinued? Also, this would only give us results on their 1+ year old lights. Their current models have come a long way over the past year and maybe much more reliable, etc. So knowing if their 1+ year old lights were good or not doesn't tell us anything about their new lights.

Maybe the goal is to give an artificial advantage to manufacturers which don't move quickly in the market :poke:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like somebody is trying to collect data to back up his total dislike for Fenix and most likely will use this to continue bashing them. Not saying that's what's going on here, but he has a loooong history of bashing Fenix at every opportunity for some reason. Just my 2cents.

BTW, I used an L1D-CE numerous times daily for over a year and never had a problem with the switch.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
Been using Fenix lights (P3D, L2D and T1) as soon as they came out (a little over 9 months). Lights dropped often and washed in surgical handscrub almost daily. NEVER had a failure.

Not sure if this testimonial has any statistical significance though :whistle:

Been using Fenix lights (P3D, L2D and T1) as soon as they came out (a little over 9 months). Lights dropped often and washed in surgical handscrub almost daily. NEVER had a failure.

Not sure if this testimonial has any statistical significance though :whistle:

So, why did you vote no? Is 9>12 in your calender?

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I am not really sure why I voted, or why I am helping to bump this thread back up. Anyway, I had one that worked fine for over a year. Not that it particularly matters anymore, since that light has been discontinued. Similarly, I have another that has probably been used more in the last few months more than most lights are in a year. While that one has not failed, the pointlessly stringent qualifications of the poll make that statistically insignificant.
Perhaps a better qualification would be "Do you have a Fenix clicky that has more than @ 1000 cycles on it w/out failure?" Then, those that were newer but had considerable use on them could be counted. Also, it would remove lights that were older but never used, therefore only skewing the poll. It would also make it possible to do condensed testing on brand new lights, and see what the outcome would be, which would be of interest to those who actually wanted solid information about new lights.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
Realistically, it would have to be an estimated usage. It would work for newer lights however, by simply running the switch that many times. If a person carries a light for a year, there is a good chance they have exceeded the switch cycles. If it has sat for a year, there is a good chance there are only a few cycles on the switch. I think the time component may mean considerably less than the amount of use. If I collected "X" brand lights, and had 8 sitting on a shelf for the last 2 1/2 years, should I be able to vote on the reliability of their switches?

You are correct though, that in many cases there would not be a count accurate to within even a couple hundred switch cycles. However, one has to wonder if that would really even matter on a system good for many thousands of cycles.

Edited to add: While an assumption on my part, I believe that the majority of switch problems tend to show themselves long before 800-1000 cycles. Beyond that,(how far beyond, I do not know), there comes a point where there is not a failure, but simply the end of the service life of the part. At that point, you are measureing the longevity of the item rather than the reliability.

Last edited:
Realistically, it would have to be an estimated usage. It would work for newer lights however, by simply running the switch that many times. If a person carries a light for a year, there is a good chance they have exceeded the switch cycles. If it has sat for a year, there is a good chance there are only a few cycles on the switch. I think the time component may mean considerably less than the amount of use. If I collected "X" brand lights, and had 8 sitting on a shelf for the last 2 1/2 years, should I be able to vote on the reliability of their switches?

You are correct though, that in many cases there would not be a count accurate to within even a couple hundred switch cycles. However, one has to wonder if that would really even matter on a system good for many thousands of cycles.

Edited to add: While an assumption on my part, I believe that the majority of switch problems tend to show themselves long before 800-1000 cycles. Beyond that,(how far beyond, I do not know), there comes a point where there is not a failure, but simply the end of the service life of the part. At that point, you are measureing the longevity of the item rather than the reliability.

Repeated cycling also ignores the effect of oxidation related problems.

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
I bought my Fenix L2D CE in february last year, and it works fine. For example my brother tested it for several weeks at work (hard use), with the result of buying an own L2D Q5. I'm going to use my L2D on my bike.

I also got a P3D RB100 since september, and it works perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.