Need advice, for small powerful LED flashlight!

shadow01

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! I've been reading this forum for several days and I decided to post a question and hopefully get some suggestions from you all. Here's my situation.....

I work for a very small police dept (that also has a very small budget). My standard issue flashlight is a 3 C Cell Maglite. It's a good flashlight, but not exactly what I'd like to carry and I'm going to purchase one especially for my needs and style. So here's what I'm looking for...

I want a small, tactical flashlight similar in size to the Surefire G2 LED. I use this one as well, but am looking to find one similar in size but with better performance. I'd like to have an LED that puts out 100+ lumens, and also have a very tight focused beam. Basically when I shine that light at someone it needs to be blinding as heck! :thumbsup: A few that I have seen talked about here include the Fenix T1, and Inova T1 or T2. Also seen the Fenix P series...what about those? Is the Fenix T1 really 225 lumens? That seems like incredible power for a small LED flashlight! What else do you suggest I look at? Keeping in mind that main thing I want is a very powerful, bright focused LED beam! I have plenty of 123A batteries at my disposal so which flashlight would you think would be the best choice based on what I described? Input or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much everyone!

Last edited:

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
Surefire 9P should take care of your problems. I used to carry in issue 3 D cell...you could always mod your issue c cell and get some fun doing it.

I say 9p (NOT LED) and buy either the surefire 6p LED drop in or from anyplace with a good rep. There is a place in China you can get the same LED's for 14.99 and I have had no issues with it...nice tight beam with good spill.

Stay safe, stay ready.

shadow01

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Any feedback on the other ones I mentioned? Anyone else care to comment? Thanks again everyone, I'm learning so much from all of you!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing you need is a Malkoff drop in. Same exact form factor. You can use a G2 or a 6P as a host. What you get is state of the art LED power and clarity in a flashlight you are familiar with.
The one recommendation I would make is the addition of the Surefire Z58 or Z59 tail switch. This is a clicky switch and is very far superior to the stock G2 switch.
Yes get a Malkoff.
Have a look at the sticky in the LED forum on information on the Malkoff.
Yaesumofo

Hello all! I've been reading this forum for several days and I decided to post a question and hopefully get some suggestions from you all. Here's my situation.....

I work for a very small police dept (that also has a very small budget). My standard issue flashlight is a 3 C Cell Maglite. It's a good flashlight, but not exactly what I'd like to carry and I'm going to purchase one especially for my needs and style. So here's what I'm looking for...

I want a small, tactical flashlight similar in size to the Surefire G2 LED. I use this one as well, but am looking to find one similar in size but with better performance. I'd like to have an LED that puts out 100+ lumens, and also have a very tight focused beam. Basically when I shine that light at someone it needs to be blinding as heck! :thumbsup: A few that I have seen talked about here include the Fenix T1, and Inova T1 or T2. Also seen the Fenix P series...what about those? Is the Fenix T1 really 225 lumens? That seems like incredible power for a small LED flashlight! What else do you suggest I look at? Keeping in mind that main thing I want is a very powerful, bright focused LED beam! I have plenty of 123A batteries at my disposal so which flashlight would you think would be the best choice based on what I described? Input or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much everyone!

Irishsentry

Newly Enlightened
A Malkoff upgrade is like a mercedes benz of drop in modules . It might be more than you want to spend right away, figuring the cost of the light....but if you start out with a Surefire 9P the upgrades can be done as you go along....it runs of (3) CR123 cells. Burn time with LED drop in I am not sure yet but it is an awesome beam. and it is still metal and can work as a compliance tool.

shadow01

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm gonna get the Surefire 6P LED. And then add the M60 Mod and also the tailcap that was mentioned above. That should give me 235 lumens or super bright spotlight power like I was looking for. Right? Sound like a good setup? Seems like that would be better than even the other flashlights I asked about right?

Oh, and where can I get the M60 Mod drop in? It is sold out at the Malkoff site right now.

Last edited:

shadow01

Newly Enlightened
I second the T1 or a newer light coming out later this month, the TK10 from Fenix. Having a hella-bright mode, and a general purpose mode with good runtime is a big plus.

Links:
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_85
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191727

Yeah I was looking at that one too. Hmmm what to do...? If I got that one, then I wouldn't have to do the mod on the 6P and overall it would cost less. Anyone know the size of the T1? In inches?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Yeah I was looking at that one too. Hmmm what to do...? If I got that one, then I wouldn't have to do the mod on the 6P and overall it would cost less. Anyone know the size of the T1? In inches?

T1 is 5.37 inches long. For a size comparison:

dd247b0bf1a5cbb4767859b569011c484g.jpg

226209412-M.jpg

226209377-M.jpg

shadow01

Newly Enlightened
Which one is the 6P in that photo? Trying to compare to the T1. Oh, and given the 2 choices I am wrestling with....which would you guys choose? 6P with the M60 mod, or the T1?

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
6P with M60 or T1... I have both and love both. I find that the T1 is a slightly tighter beam and has more range on high mode (225 lumens) than the 6P with an M60 (235 lumens). The 6P with M60 definitely has more light up close and a smoother wider pattern (at least with my experience). The T1 does offer the option of a low power setting with around 10+ hours and 1.5 hours on high, the 6p with M60 is around an hour and a half. Do you want/need a high and low? The T1 is built like a tank, and the 6P I also feel is built very very solid. All in all, they are both very phenominal lights. I especially like my 6PD with the malkoff (M60) and Z49 tailcap, to me, it cannot be beat! Regardless of which you choose, you cannot go wrong.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes Sniper with 175+ lumen LED drop in is also built TOUGH and priced right.

harddrive

Enlightened
I think I'm gonna get the Surefire 6P LED. And then add the M60 Mod and also the tailcap that was mentioned above. That should give me 235 lumens or super bright spotlight power like I was looking for. Right? Sound like a good setup? Seems like that would be better than even the other flashlights I asked about right?

Oh, and where can I get the M60 Mod drop in? It is sold out at the Malkoff site right now.

Just get the Surefire 6P (original incandescent version) and the Malkoff M60. There is no point paying extra for the LED version of the 6P if you are just going to removed the surefire LED lamp and replace it with a Malkoff M60.

The best way to get a M60 is sign up to the web site so you get an email when the M60 is is stock. Then be ready to order as soon as you get the email. They sell out fast.

For what its worth I think the 6P format with a high power LED drop in is perfect for LEO work. I don't have a free supply of CR123s so I use a 6P with A Dereelight drop in, Leefbody, a surefire clicky and 18650.

On a side note I use a Blackhawk mod-u-lock on my non-weapon side and highly recommend it for use with the 6P:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1887

Heres an old photo before I got the Leefbody:

P1000623.jpg

bspofford

Enlightened
I recommend Fenix T1/T10 (Q5), Solarforce L2 with stainless steel strike bezel (R2), or DereeLight CL1H (3SD). All run well on rechargeable 3.7V 16340 cells, but the DereeLight also runs on 18650 cells. If I were a police officer, I would want to carry less weight and would also consider something like the Nitecore DI or JetBeam Jet-I Pro.

img2.jpg

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened
Which one is the 6P in that photo? Trying to compare to the T1. Oh, and given the 2 choices I am wrestling with....which would you guys choose? 6P with the M60 mod, or the T1?

I think it's the third one from left on the bottom 2 photos. Go get the regular 6P, because you'll upgrade the dorp-in anyway, for $42 shipped and a Malkoff M60 Q5 High Output and you're in business.

For cheaper you can get a Cabelas' combo clone 6P with nice knife for $20 and a drop-in from DX for $10 and you will be happy with the money spent.

I got both and love them both. Use the cheap one more because it's not far behind and not worry about losing more than $100 light.

BMF

Enlightened
the 6P is the silver one in the bottom two pictures

Yes, you're right. I've never seen it in silver though but after looking carefully it has a notch where we can push the tail cap to temporarily turn the light on.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A CPFer who has access to an integrating sphere was able to measure the output of a Fenix T1. On a set of Surefire cells, he got a reading of 225 lumens. (Real lumens, out the front. Not the higher emitter lumens that are usually posted).

You can get a black T1 from the Fenix-Store. Use the discount code: CPF8 for an 8% discount. If you can wait, an updated version of the T1 will soon be released. The Tk10 (A.K.A. - T11) will feature improvements over the T1. But as of yet, I do not know if it'll be available in black. I've heard a release date of March 25th for the Tk10.

Other lights in the Fenix line-up suffer from one problem: Lack of checkering on the lights. I've nearly dropped my P3D Q5 model a couple of times. Mine is used as a work light. But for something as serious as police work, you need a light with a more solid grip.

A few comments about some of the suggestions you've gotten from others....

Malkoff drop-ins are some of the most popular on CPF. Never heard of one failing to work properly. But being popular, they can be difficult to come by.

In Marduke's 2nd pic, the 6P is the light that looks like silver.

The W.E. Sniper is a good light. I've heard of a couple of LEOs on CPF who use it as a duty light. Main disadvantage is the rubber tailcap switch. It works as intended, as a forward-clickie. But it is a bit too soft. A little hard to explain. If you want one, get the latest version that's rated at 260 lumens. (Unlike the T1, actual output is likely to be a bit less).

Here's a link where you can get one. (The 6AX is the one that takes primary CR123 cells. The other one is the rechargeable version. Although, I have heard that the 6AX will accomidate an 18650 cell too).

Link:
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-126-127-6447

Unlike harddrive, I cannot recommend the Mod-U-lock holster. While it holds your light securely at first, that situation changes the more you use that holster. Lighthound.com however is possibly the greatest online retail shop there is. Very professional, very fast delivery times, free shipping to the continental U.S. with orders over $75, and they even let you pay with a money order; if you prefer. Instead of the Mod-U-lock, there's a better holster. (It's a universal design. But I own one. It works well). The Maxpedition UFBS. The black seems to be out of stock, but the tan and O.D. green versions on the next page are in stock.

Link:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=175&Page=2

Some of the comments I've heard about the Dereelight CL1H have been positive. But some have not.

Speaking from experience, Solarforce is barely one notch above the No-name, Made in China, companies that put out junk; as far as flashlights go. My Solarforce L600 literally uses either tightly packed cardboard or cork inside the light.... And it's not there as packing material! For something as important as police work, stay away from that brand. Yes, Solarforce makes very bright lights. But it's a one-trick pony. The quality simply isn't nearly good enough.

The Cabela's model mentioned is a re-badged G&P model. Except for their Scorpion model, G&P lights also don't have a very good reputation. But they're definitely better quality than Solarforce!

As far as DX goes.... You wouldn't put a water-pistol in your holster before heading off to work, would you? Forget about possibly staking your Life on a DX drop-in when you absolutely need your light to work. A cheap, bright, drop-in is fine for normal use. For police work?.... That's a completely different story. Some of what DX sells is decent, some is just plain junk. For police work, or any other important tasks; not worth taking the chance.

Last edited:

harddrive

Enlightened
Unlike harddrive, I cannot recommend the Mod-U-lock holster. While it holds your light securely at first, that situation changes the more you use that holster. Lighthound.com however is possibly the greatest online retail shop there is. Very professional, very fast delivery times, free shipping to the continental U.S. with orders over $75, and they even let you pay with a money order; if you prefer. Instead of the Mod-U-lock, there's a better holster. (It's a universal design. But I own one. It works well). The Maxpedition UFBS. The black seems to be out of stock, but the tan and O.D. green versions on the next page are in stock.

Link:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=175&Page=2

Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with the Mod-u-lock holster. I have used mine a lot over the last year and it is still great. I like it so much that I would happily hand over the $20 for a new one if it does start to get loose. Even if it has to be replaced every year or two I'd still recommend it. The problem I find with holsters like you recommended is they can only be used bezel up. I really like bezel down carry for fast draw of light and firearm at the same time. The other bezel down choices I know of are Surefire V70 (many BAD reports on this) and the Bladetech Kydex holster (heard good reports but have never used one).

I have no doubt the Maxpedition is agreat holster, just not what I would use.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with the Mod-u-lock holster. I have used mine a lot over the last year and it is still great. I like it so much that I would happily hand over the $20 for a new one if it does start to get loose. Even if it has to be replaced every year or two I'd still recommend it. The problem I find with holsters like you recommended is they can only be used bezel up. I really like bezel down carry for fast draw of light and firearm at the same time. The other bezel down choices I know of are Surefire V70 (many BAD reports on this) and the Bladetech Kydex holster (heard good reports but have never used one).

I have no doubt the Maxpedition is agreat holster, just not what I would use.

In terms of Bezel-down carry, I would have to agree that the Maxpedition holster is far from ideal.

I own a Surefire V70 but don't use it at all. (Yeah, I heard the same bad reports after buying it).