Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any News on the Fenix Headlamp(s)

Default Any News on the Fenix Headlamp(s)

Does anyone have any news on this mythical beast?
    Is that a torch in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?

Default Re: Any News on the Fenix Headlamp(s)

Didn't know such a thing was in the works, but I'd love to see something equivalent to an L2D as a headlamp. For me, it would have to use AA batteries.

fenixlight.com teased us by adding "headlamps" to their website aaages ago! no fresh news though. What we need is 4 7s to provide us with unsubstantiated rumours and teasers to keep us talking about it!
    We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own.(Ben Sweetland)

If they made a L2D equivalent with two AA batteries side by side in a matchbox shaped case with the LED head popping out of the top, it would be a fantastic headlamp that could be easily attached to helmets or a headstrap.

Flashaholic

I still find myself wondering about this thread:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t=new+headlamp
    Was this a probe from Fenix?

Flashaholic*

Hmm... I recall that 4sevens was working on a headlamp awhile ago with an unnamed company (not Fenix) but, unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. It was for a 1xCR123 Cree headlamp and he just needed a company to back the ideas (and not take advantage of his ideas) - I'm hoping Fenix will step- / has stepped-up... Any updates 4sevens?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...fenix+headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    I'm sourcing a 1xcr123a cree XR-E headlamp right now.
    80 lumens (2 hours) on high
    15 hours on low
    It's NOT fenix though
    Ok ... quick update and I'm sorry for not updating... The company I was working working with (yes WAS) subcontracted another company in china. I started seeing some of the lights looking very similar to what we have drawn up so I inquired - yep - they were subcontracting a company in china. I terminated cooperation with them since the subcontracting company would benefit from my design and feedback. This is a major bummer because I have spent lots of time working with these guys only to find out that I'm working with a bucket full of holes! Anyway, until I find another company to work with me exclusively, the project is now on hold. And yes, this is NOT a fenix headlamp.
    Looking for: jhanko 'biohazard' V10R Ti clip, Luce de Notte (SS / Ti), SF Z2 (body, complete light, bored, unbored). Pls PM me with an offer.

im confused, if fenix is not coming out with a fenix headlamp, then why out it on thier website? hmmmm..

Crenshaw

Flashaholic*

OHHH!!!! Now I see what crenshaw is talking about... http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp?classid=2...

Hmm... makes me wonder if this could be the reason for the chocolate cake listing on Fenix Store's site... Is there a significant milestone for Fenix / Fenix Store? Perhaps upcoming announcement(s)??? I don't want to spread false rumours but now I'm really intrigued...

Btw, I also notice Fenix-Store now has a new link (empty at the moment) for Zebralights... https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=89
    Last edited by RGB_LED; 03-19-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Looking for: jhanko 'biohazard' V10R Ti clip, Luce de Notte (SS / Ti), SF Z2 (body, complete light, bored, unbored). Pls PM me with an offer.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_LED View Post
    Hmm... I recall that 4sevens was working on a headlamp awhile ago with an unnamed company (not Fenix) but, unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. It was for a 1xCR123 Cree headlamp and he just needed a company to back the ideas (and not take advantage of his ideas) - I'm hoping Fenix will step- / has stepped-up... Any updates 4sevens?
    4sevens later confirmed that Fenix was planning a headlamp:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=113
    I can confirm that Fenix is working on a headlamp. ETA late this year or beginning of next.
    and this in response to Gunga's question... "Can you at least tell us if headlamp is coming in the next few months? THere have been conflicting reports..."

Yes there is. ETA 1st qtr 2008
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...5&postcount=10

In combination with the headlamp section on fenixlight.com, I think it's more a question of when, not if Fenix will produce a headlamp.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('')

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    4sevens later confirmed that Fenix was planning a headlamp:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=113

and this in response to Gunga's question... "Can you at least tell us if headlamp is coming in the next few months? THere have been conflicting reports..."

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...5&postcount=10
    In combination with the headlamp section on fenixlight.com, I think it's more a question of when, not if Fenix will produce a headlamp.
    Thx GaryF, didn't see that thread.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_LED View Post
    Hmm... makes me wonder if this could be the reason for the chocolate cake listing on Fenix Store's site... Is there a significant milestone for Fenix / Fenix Store? Perhaps upcoming announcement(s)??? I don't want to spread false rumours but now I'm really intrigued...
    The cake is a lie!

Since Fenix has a section on their site, I'd presume they are developing a headlamp. They are a smart bunch, if there's a market, they will make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar28 View Post
    The cake is a lie!

Quote Originally Posted by clg0159 View Post
    I still find myself wondering about this thread:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t=new+headlamp
    Was this a probe from Fenix?
    I'd say it definitely is not.
    I have my suspicions but I don't want to say anything yet.

As for a Fenix headlamp, I hope they come to market and compete. Competition benefits the consumer.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoton View Post
    "..As for a Fenix headlamp, I hope they come to market and compete. Competition benefits the consumer..."
    I'll take the above literally and question whether advance marketing is even important to most companies out there (anymore) in relation to competition right around the corner.
    I look at this forum base as a pretty darn intelligent one that certainly appreciates the vendor attention anytime it is given to them and who truly reward those 21st century new (cough) 'marketeers' who take the time to participate here on a regular basis. CPF or CPFM is not obviously the 'end-all' to any successful launch of a product; yet my mind keeps going back to the little company out of nowhere who teased us so perfectly with a product (that they were actually proud of) while rewarding CPF(M) members with not only extremely detailed advance information/pre-production reviews...but pretty darn good advance pricing as well.

Yeah, we'll keep checking back to see if this question or that is ever answered or ignored...yet it takes a pretty darn sharp marketing plan to keep BOTH of your brand new products from falling off of the CPFM board for months at a time...and I believe that intimately involved/detailed advance word is a big part of it.

I'm not faulting Fenix or anybody else one bit for playing these releases close to the vest...yet I'm still waiting for some company to come on in here and capture lightning in a tube as Edgetac did with their new release marketing plan not long ago. We can all be pretty easily played like a fiddle up here...yet you've really got to know the tune better than the next guy to truly compete and not be drowned out on these fast-moving boards.

Simply my $.02 and no nastiness intended in any way, shape or form.
    Last edited by Rzr800; 03-20-2008 at 08:30 PM.

Doggone expensive cake! But I ordered some anyhow.

I'll let everyone know how it tastes as soon as I get it!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe View Post
    Doggone expensive cake! But I ordered some anyhow.

I'll let everyone know how it tastes as soon as I get it!
    I hope you read the review on it first
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('')

No worries mate!

Flashaholic

I would like the see the headlamp designed with mounts that can accept existing Fenix heads, P3D for a 4xAA/2xCR123 model and most of the rest for a 2xAA/1xCR123. Or perhaps have both types of battery packs available and interchangeable (with the appropriate heads).

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Empyfree View Post
    fenixlight.com teased us by adding "headlamps" to their website aaages ago!
    And now it's gone
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('')

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar28 View Post
    I would like the see the headlamp designed with mounts that can accept existing Fenix heads, P3D for a 4xAA/2xCR123 model and most of the rest for a 2xAA/1xCR123. Or perhaps have both types of battery packs available and interchangeable (with the appropriate heads).
    That would be cool. I have reckon thats a good way to make a bike light too.

Stu
    Mag13100/Mag623, Mag85, Surefire 6P. Fenix P1D CE, P3D CE, L2D, 4xE01, Ledean Mag Aspheric, Lumapower MRV, Elektrolumens QSP (waiting ), Lummi Wee, Zebralight H50-Q5, Novatac 120P. Wolfeyes Boxer 24. POB Hid

Just received a questionnaire from fenix concerning headlamps.
    Think, this time they mean it!

I too received and filled out a questionairre about fenix headlights. My guess is that it will be a while before we see a product hit the "shelves" if they are just doing their market research. But at least they are doing it the right way round, hopefully they'll create a winning product!
    We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own.(Ben Sweetland)

I received the questionair also. It didn't sound to me like they were too close to a finished design. Fenix does things fast though. We may see onw quicker than we think.

Bill
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Hitthespot View Post
    I received the questionair also. It didn't sound to me like they were too close to a finished design. Fenix does things fast though. We may see onw quicker than we think.

Bill
    I just want to know one thing: How do so many of the members here seem to be up to speed in regards to R&D of new lights/LEDs, get questionaires, etc? Are you all well known folks outside the forum in Flashlight-land or some other qualifications?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Mdinana View Post
    I just want to know one thing: How do so many of the members here seem to be up to speed in regards to R&D of new lights/LEDs, get questionaires, etc? Are you all well known folks outside the forum in Flashlight-land or some other qualifications?
    I think the questionnaire was sent out to people who had expressed previous interest in Fenix headlamps, or maybe just to a database of prior customers. I got one, and other than a keen interest, I have no credentials in the field.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    ('')_('')

Same here, I've just been pretty active on here, and bought quite a few Feni! (Fenixs? fenixes?)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Empyfree View Post
    Same here, I've just been pretty active on here, and bought quite a few Feni! (Fenixs? fenixes?)
    I reckon it's fenices. Index->indices Fenix->fenices

FWIW I got the questionnaire too, via www.torchworld.com.au, which is where I tend to get mine from.
    Torches removed from sig to help keep searches relevant.

I was forwarded the questionnaire by thephotonshop.co.uk where I recently bought a fenix. Great shop by the way.

My first post

I'm always struck by the poor selection of decent headtorches that seem to be available against the dazzling range of torches / flashlights out there. Here's my wishlist for a headtorch on the offchance someone from Fenix (whose products strike me as being excellent in terms of price - quality) reads this

- A decent battery pack at the back of the headtorch (in an ideal world, a couple of 18650s but I don't realistically see this getting to market for their first attempt at a headtorch). Alternatively, 3 AA strikes me as a sensible idea. Not *that* bulky and I think a sensible minimum if you want a fair output and a decent runtime. And of course, easy to find. Being able to borrow a few from a friend when you need to is very very useful A 'coin screw' to secure it.

- A couple of Seoul P4 or Cree Q5 emitters, one as a proper flood (a la Scurion or zebralight) and one medium to narrow spot with a decent optic. 3 brightness levels each, and the possibility of running them together. Failing that, a single emitter with a beam pattern like the P3D and a couple of e.g. Nicha NSPW500GS-K1. Skip the strobe / SOS mode. Is it really useful on a headtorch?

- A nice wide headband with an over-the-top band. You can always take it off if you don't like it but I find it makes a headtorch, especially one with a larger battery case, feel more secure.

- A sensibly located and easy to use switch. (Really, I have found nothing more satisfactory than that on the Black Diamond Xenix IQ in this respect. Rubberised, located on the bottom of the light head, good feedback.)

- Regulated but with a final low power unregulated mode that will give you a few hours of useable light before the battery finally dies. I can't overstress this point. It's amazing how much you can do with a trickle of light when you really have to - I had several close calls underground when I moved to a regulated headtorch.

- IP67 rated. 1m submersion and dust etc.

- Some kind of battery indicator.

Voila. Happy I'm finally posting something after lurking so long. What an insanely great resource this site is.

--Seek
    Last edited by Seek; 04-16-2008 at 08:27 AM.

Still no news.

I'm about to order a P2D RB100 and an L1D body to use with my ZebraLight.
    (The L1D because I want to be able to use NiMH AA like the ZebraLight, and the P2D because I want the Rebel emitter and I think the P2D body would be more useful to me as an alternative than an L2D body. The P3D length is ok on the strap but the L2D is probably too much.)
    The only problem is that there's no way to swivel it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast