Thor X10 10MCP (V2 or Std. V1 Thor) - Simple Mod

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi

Just got one of the New-Style V2-Thor Spotlights

Same Old Power so . . .

Fit an Osram 64458 and 3x 6V 4000mAh SLAs - Nice and simple minimal modding.

Take the H4 bulb
Prize and cut off the bulb-base cover

Rip out the bulb

Dremel off those bits of wire - then drill 4 holes in the base - 3 are where the legs are (inner plastic face has guide holes that work well to align the drill correctly)

and the fourth hole is in mounting position for the Kiu Socket. That blue mark was on the base already - just used the Kiu as a template to drill final hole

The 4th hole was drilled at 2.4mm and then the Kiu mounting screw threaded the bakelite - The other mounting position was a 3.4mm clearance hole and requires a nut

Filament height was a tad low so either pull bulb up slightly or fit spacer (nut?) between Kiu and H4 holder for correct height

Solder or crimp male spade connectors to the Kiu wires and fit in 3x 6V 4000mAh SLA.
They fit perfectly with very little plastic removal.

Finished

The rear twin flourescent tubes still work at nominal 18V ( ? ) so the reading light function remains - at least for a while anyway . . .

How does it perform ? you ask . . .

Considerably brighter than Std. about the same output as my 623 Mag but not as clean a beam for white wall hunting as the FM3 head.

BUT

Better throw than the 623 FM3 by quite a margin and outdoors the beam is even enough - so really should be quite useful.

Should have a cheap 18V power supply/charger from eBay soon (after Easter now !) so that charging can be done in situ as normal.

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Re: New Model V2 Thor 10MCP - Simple Mod

Great mod, great pictures too. Thanks for explaining so well what to do with the socket. I there an exact bulb height I should be looking for?

I wonder what I will be doing with those extra Kiu sockets I got about a month ago......

Bob E.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Model V2 Thor 10MCP - Simple Mod

Hi Plasmaman - Ta

Great mod, great pictures too. Thanks for explaining so well what to do with the socket. I there an exact bulb height I should be looking for?

I wonder what I will be doing with those extra Kiu sockets I got about a month ago......

Bob E.

Hi Bob

Not exactly an exact height ! I copied the H4 filament height - approximately 24mm (top of location guides to filament centre)

Cheers
Pete