MagLite 6Dcell custom (beginner)

Sonic Blast

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Maglite 6Dcell flashlight and am hoping to customise it so that it is more powerfull than my fenix t1 and has a long throw so it can be used at skirmish. I am a complete novis and know next to nothing about flashlights and am needing help with what to spend my £70 budget on and how to install it, I only have a basic toolbox and a soldering iron. I would be very greatful for any advice that anyone could give.:anyone:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a very old original style 6D mag that I upgraded, so I too, went through my options. I found that most of the new higher power multi-LED drop ins like the Electrolumens and Malkoff's only fit in the newer 6D mags. I ended up with a Terralux MiniStar5 for 2 - 6 cell lights. For something bright try aROP build for around $100 (50 GBP).

mr.squatch

Enlightened
You may already know this, but some people refer to the "old mags" as the ones with no D at the beginning of the serial number. The "new mags" all have the D there instead of just numbers. Slight variations mean some parts work with the "new" ones that don't fit the "old." Easy enough to figure out which you have, just check the serial number. If you do have a D there are several dropin options like the above mentioned Malkoff. I have several and always go back to them when in a pinch. They are truly awesome. You could build a Rop for that kinda budget. Get six nimh D cells, a reflector, glass lens and a bulb kit and you're there! I really like my 6D rop, it's lighter than an alkaline 6d but still plenty hefty enough to take out an adversary :D Bunch of other options as well to be found in the incandescent forum, but a lot of those are more complex than a simple Rop. You can fit 9 C cells in a 6D too :devil:

g

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The easiest on would be the ROP mod.

6 good NiMh D cells, a pair of Pelican Big D bulbs, a metal reflector, and a glass window and you should be good to go. No soldering needed, just be careful when you handle the bulb.