Klarus        
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LunaSol: The Concept

Default Re: LunaSol: The Concept

Well then, that is an interesting development. I think some collective pants were just crapped back there when those pictures came up.
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

That's why he is "Don", and he is one of us
    I'm glad it is dark, half of the time.

Is that a Rebel, I spy inside?

Heheh, I asked about a new PD form factor light, in one hour Don responds.

CPF'ers change their pants...

Small: MJP Extreme III • Orb Raw Ti and NS
    Medium: Oveready Triple Copper E2e
    • MJP-E3e (15-3Ostar) • Surefire L4 (MC-E) • LensLight Mini
    Large: Surefire M6-WA1185 • M-Zep MZXR-7a

OK. I think that may be the coolest light ever.
    I am currently accepting limited mod requests. Please send me a PM!

Trees don't grow on money either.

Hi guys,
    The LunaSol 20:

Well the LunaSol 20 was not going to fall into bog like the LunaSol 27 did. I had improved relationship with the machine shop, the learning curve on the BBM was seemingly covered and I had a design nailed down. No problem with a quick and smooth path from concept to limited production! NOT!

The LunaSol 20 was based on the Rebel and McR-12R reflector. Proto:

The proto worked well so LunaSol 20 reflectors were ordered, I put out a request for more converters and I paid a premium for 250 of the Rebel 100 lumen LED's as well as a premium on a custom MCPCB that all 250 LED's were mounted on:

Well then we ran into some more issues with the BBM during the LunaSol 27 program and around that time, I got word that Lumileds had a recall on the Rebels.

Fortunately during this time period, a new friend had sent me some sample Osram Dragon's that I hadn't really had a chance to mess with. They have a nice little die and no dome to contend with. I discovered that with a modification to the Rebel reflector, remove ~ .015 from the rear and it works with the Dragon. Enter the Dragon!

I had also been playing with some Nichia LED's and I did some geometry in Solid Works and determined that I could design a new MCPCB which could serve as host to both the Dragon and the Nichia:

I had to change the MCPCB location in the LunaSol 20 head due to the reflector modification and difference in LED height of the Dragon VS the Rebel and this was one time when I was glad the machine shop was behind in their work!!

The LunaSol 20 has an Osram Dragon driven at ~400 mA in center for the high and a string of 3 ea. Nichia 310DS LED's in series for the low flood:

The 310DS used here have more flux than the 310CS used in the LunaSol 27 so the output is not half that of the 27 but something greater than half. The runtime on the LunaSol 20 will be better than that of the 27 because it typically pulls about 100 mA less current than the 27 because of the fewer Nichias. I should point out that the LunaSol 20 could have been host to a string of 6 Nichia's but I felt that was too much light for this design.

I did not have a PCB made for the Nichias and after some builds, I realized that I could use an O-ring for excellent retention of the Nichias in the reflector. All I had to do was chuck the reflectors up again in the lathe and put an O-ring groove in them. I have no doubts that these LunaSol 20 reflectors can each and everyone be traced to me with modern technologies, CSI style. Every one of them has marks on the front face either from my fingers, the lathe activities or installation and O-ring smudges. Some probably have some of my DNA as well.

Below is a shot of the mother/daughter converter stack. The daughter is a NexGen converter and not a GD which I know will disappoint a number of folks. The GD was not an available option, plain and simple.

A couple more shots of the limited production LunaSol 20:

And just so I could ask; "How do you like those tomatoes?" :

The LunaSol concept is about two output: Low and wide; High and long. The LunaSol 20 like the 27 provides a wide and even flood for low level and then a collimated and higher powered high for getting out to further distances. I think the 27 does this better but that is a subjective assessment and of course the 20 has the advantage of a more friendly size in carry. There are a few people who have sampled both and I think their take is similar to mine; no real winner here. They both are what they are and do what they do in an honest and straight forward manner.

I reckon Bernie will have some words on this light if not additional images, beam shots and run times... (BTW, he put full court pressure on me for a 25 mm OD version of the LunaSol.

Now I wasn't going to say a word about this light here until the vapor materialized and it has been tough at times because of comments made by some of you in regards to what you would like to see and what was I up to. Originally I figured I would be introducing this light in a wave of the majority of the 100 sets comprising the initial order and in turn as an initial offering.

Well, I completed 30 heads this afternoon which will be offered up in a wave tomorrow provided I find the time and energy to screw the 30 heads into 30 PD paks tonight and don't find any last minute problems with any of them. The balance of sets will be in some future wave of which I have no idea in terms of time. At present I am seeking new sources for converters and possibly converter design. There will be a hand full of 27's as well so it will be a mixed wave train.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

p.s. please be kind to us west coasters!
    Last edited by HoopleHead; 05-06-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Wow. Just...wow. I am asking myself how long it would take to pay off the debt that would incur...
    "Et lux in tenebris lucet"

Nexgen = NO rechargeable batts= not a happy planet

O well, BRING THEM ON!!

So the LunaSol 20 will output 70-ish Lumens out the front on high?

-Ed

You sir, are one salty tomato!!! I no can handle dah preshah of this twisted man we all know as "the Don" McGizmo!

Mayo

(It will be interesting to see how the 3 DS Nichias fare compared to 6 CS Nichias ((which are also spaced out further)) )
    Last edited by FrogmanM; 05-07-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    Torch Collection

*Where fact is fiction and TV, reality*

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post

The LunaSol concept is about two output: Low and wide; High and long. The LunaSol 20 like the 27 provides a wide and even flood for low level and then a collimated and higher powered high for getting out to further distances. I think the 27 does this better but that is a subjective assessment and of course the 20 has the advantage of a more friendly size in carry.
    Don,

Any chance of beamshots showing the flood of the 3 Nichias and the punch of the McR 12 reflector + Dragon emitter?

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeeds View Post
    Don,

Any chance of beamshots showing the flood of the 3 Nichias and the punch of the McR 12 reflector + Dragon emitter?
    +1 for on the MiniSol beam!

Mayo
    Torch Collection

Also, it looks like a PD pak just like the Lunasol27. If this is so, I can't wait for the light that will be used with the Ti McClicky paks

Flashaholic*

The size of the ehad was the ONLY reason I did not JUMP on the lunasol and every one that I have seen for sale since.
    The Ti PD-S lives with me at just about all times outside the office. I want the smooth beam in the same form-factor SO badly. With a bit of luck I'll be around when the wave starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuso View Post
    Is this definite? Rechargeables can't be used with the LunaSol 20?
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuso View Post

O well, BRING THEM ON!!
    While you might not be dumping batteries into a trashcan yourself, the amount of fuel burned to recharge your batteries likely isn't trivial, either, even if it's an insignificant increase to your electric bill. There are certainly pros and cons to both types of cells, but being a proponent of primaries myself, Don's use of a more efficient boost converter that will properly take advantage of the capacity of primary cells is certainly welcome. Just my $0.02

Nice looking light, Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
    While you might not be dumping batteries into a trashcan yourself, the amount of fuel burned to recharge your batteries likely isn't trivial, either, even if it's an insignificant increase to your electric bill. There are certainly pros and cons to both types of cells, but being a proponent of primaries myself, Don's use of a more efficient boost converter that will properly take advantage of the capacity of primary cells is certainly welcome. Just my $0.02

Nice looking light, Don.
    Well, nevermind the effects of adding more and more waste into our landfills.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
    Hence why I said there are pros and cons to both types. You've got a tradeoff between carbon emissions from the charging of your batteries, or you've got a little bit of extra solid waste. The point I was making is that rechargeables are painted as "guilt-free lumens" by many here, and they aren't; they're simply a tradeoff between another form of waste.

For what I use my lights, a more efficient converter that will turn more energy into light instead of heat, and that will drain my cells lower is more desirable than one that doesn't. Longer runtimes mean less cells used, and I much prefer the higher energy density of primaries over relatively low capacity RCR123s.

This thread, however, isn't really the place for a continued discussion of the merits (or demerits) of one cell over another; The main point was and remains that I support Don's choice of driver configuration - you're of course free to make your own decision in the regard.

-Enrique
    Last edited by Endeavour; 05-07-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Although for those that are concerned about rechargeable battery use, there are 3V R123's, like AW's LiFEPO4 available.

Hi Don, just a quick question. Which Osram Dragon LED are you using in the LunaSol20? I was digging around the Osram site for the technical specs and the Dragon is the name for a whole family/line of LEDs they produce. Judging by the picture of your light, it could be a Golden Dragon Plus, Golden Dragon, or even Platinum Dragon. Do you have a part number that I could look up?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
    Off topic: No need to dump primaries into landfills, at least not here. There are hazmat disposal stations all over SoCal where you can drop them off for safe disposal along with old paint, computer parts, etc. If you come to the next SoCal CPF party and give me your dead cells, I'll even drop them off for you. They don't wind up in landfills if you take the time to not put them there. I keep a box marked HazMat (so none of my dumb friends eat the batteries) that is taped shut and has a hole the size of a battery in it. When the box fills up, I take it to the hazmat disposal center. Not that hard!

On topic: Email sent! Oh wait....
    Trees don't grow on money either.

How nice Don. I like this idea very much. the underwater images really sell this for me.

Just wondering all things not being equal.. What kind of run times are you getting from the Lunason 20?
    Yaesumofo
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Bernie,

How are you finding the ease of operation of the twisty head with the new S27 style flutes?

Would love to see beams shots in comparison to the Mule and the PD-S. I know that's probably a pain but you really should suffer just a little bit for being the first to get to play with all these cool lights.

Thanks
    David
    Favs: TiPD-S's, Spy 007s

Hi guys,
    The Dragon is a Golden Dragon. This LED has a max current of 500 mA. Because of this, I tested a couple of the LunaSol 20 heads on my bench supply and monitored the current to the LED as I ramped up the Vin. At around 3.4 volts, I saw the current regulation start to fail and at 3.6 Vin from the power supply, the current to the Dragon was 800-900 mA! For this reason, it is clear that the LunaSol 20 should NOT be used with 3.6V Li-Ion cells!!! If the LED were a Cree you could get away with using R123's but it isn't. Typical Vf is around 3.3-3.4 on these Dragons and it would seem that there is not as much "overhead" with the NexGen converter as I had come to believe.

I realize that many of you would be happier if not insistent on having the buck/boost GD driver as the daughter board in the LunaSol 20 and I tried to make that a reality but it simply didn't happen!! I can only work with what is available to me and at present, beyond these 30 units which use the NexGen, I can't do diddly squat. Wayne provided me with the bill of materials and Gerber files on the BBM mother board and at present, there is an order in place for more of these converters with a new source I have not used before and this is a first for me; trying to get some converters made. It looks like I will be able to confirm function of some first articles within a few weeks but the production run itself could be a ways off due to scarcity of the chip. The BBM is based on the venerable BadBoy converter which is tried and true but also an older chip from what I can gather.

The BBM is the mother board and it drives the Nichias. The daughter board, a NexGen in this first wave of LunaSol 20's drives the Osram Dragon. For you rechargeable guys, if and when I have more BBM's to work with, I could actually make up some nice LunaSol 20's but they would be only be viable on Li-Ion cells. I could use a SOB converter for the daughter board. The SOB is an efficient buck converter and given the low Vf of the Dragon, by the time the SOB dropped out of regulation and the LED went into DD, you would be looking at time to recharge or replace your battery. You would have the added advantage of knowing you were approaching the end due to some dimming of the Dragon.

If I end up in a situation where I get more BBM's on hand and have not found a converter to use for the daughter, I might float an interest query on some R123 only LunaSol 20's. There are aspects to this which bother me as I am not a champion of rechargeable 123's at present because I am not aware of any that have been embraced by domestic safety agencies. I believe in Li-Ion technology and welcome a time when cells are available on the after market for use in lights like these.

I caught a comment from Data that if one takes apart their SPY007 the warranty is voided. Well I don't state or offer any warranty on my lights to start with but I caution anyone planning to take apart one of these LunaSol 20's that putting it back together may be akin to herding cats. It is certainly doable (obviously) but I have developed some tricks and techniques and still consider the assembly to be a PITA. I am not inclined to try to compile a comprehensive "how to" or encourage taking these apart.

It was asked if I contemplated doing any LunaSol's in Al. At one point, earlier on and before Murphy and extenuating circumstances turned the program into a nightmare, I did propose the idea of going to the next level in production and considering doing these in Al. I now realize that the existing design with mother and daughter converters and assembly is just too labor intensive to hope to work in a larger scale of production. The LED's forward is fine but that black magic portion behind the LED's and in front of the battery is a major concern and problem for me at present. I don't know if I can claim that the LunaSol is at the bleeding edge but I can certainly state there has been a lot of blood and despair!

A few years ago when we got into two speed lights, I couldn't get excited about going back to one speed. Last year when I first experienced a LunaSol, I knew that I personally couldn't get behind going back to a two or multi speed light of single light source for general purpose or use. I am spoiled and it is extremely frustrating not to be able to move forward quickly and decisively with the LunaSol.

I recall showing both a LunaSol 27 and 20 to PK last Thanksgiving and at least back then, in my ignorance, I had no idea it would take so long to get some of these out. In hind sight, the only smart thing I did probably was not letting the LunaSol 20 out as vapor. If I had any confidence or idea of when I could complete the remaining LunaSol 20 sets I probably would have kept silent on the light and waited until I had all completed. Hell, I can't afford to wait any longer and there is no telling if the wait will come to any further fruition or not at this point. I have some lights built and complete and some additional converters held in back up, should the need arise. Time to let them out!

I guess I needed to vent some there!

Oh yeah, back quickly to a less expensive AL version. Yaesumofo had some insight in his comments above. As a one man show, I feel my only hope of survival, let alone any reasonable success, in these lights it to try to stay ahead of the crowd and in niches the big boys don't find worthy of their interest or focus. Titanium is my material of choice and personal preference and one that is certainly a niche. Lately it seems that this niche is well being explored and visited here on CPF and it alone may not be so easy to continue on in. Staying ahead requires quick response and adaptations to new technologies and ideas. No time to rest on ones laurels if there is heavy dozers to be heard and seen, coming up from the rear! I feel pretty good at adapting but I certainly don't feel quick these days. I had basically 100 Ti sets of the LunaSol to work with and to date, I have not built out half of them and it's not that I haven't tried. If this program had been in aluminum and I was looking at 500 or 700 sets with less than 50 completed and unit sales prices well below those of the Ti, you would really hear some moaning and groaning from me!

There are windows of opportunity that come and go for the little guy as he moves aside for the big guys. I can't help but think that the concept of the LunaSol will be taken on by some of the big guys even though it doesn't present itself well in a well lit POP in the store or by numbers on some printed spec sheet. Heck, SureFire already has the foundations in place with some of their existing lights and designs to take the concept well past what I have done here. The Titan, aside, I still think there will be some room for titanium efforts.

Some of you have only seen pictures of these LunaSol lights. The pictures may or may not interest you but the only significant aspect of these lights, IMHO, is not what they look like but how they allow you to look at other objects and areas of interest when you use one. A photo of a LED or LED light doesn't tell you what its beam is like. Beam shots can give a better idea but they too are often as misleading as they are illuminating. Beam shots have not been a priority for me because I know what these lights do and my primary focus has been on just getting the lights built. I think it is better if beam shots and evaluations come from you guys who don't have the obvious vested interest that I have.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Despite all Don's overall negatve talk ... ... the light is a fine light. IMHO, the culmination of Don's creativity until now.
    A masterpiece. You will love it. As I do.

bernie
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Don if you can talk about it can you give us a preview of how the Osram golden dragon compares to the Cree and the rebel in terms of tint and quality of light?
    How is the color temperature?

Also do the nichia's used in the Lunasol 20 differ tint wise from the Lunasol 27?
    I was alsomwondering if there was any of that areospace grade capton tape in the L20's?
    That Tape is neat stuff has some interesting properties not the least of which it is pretty darn expensive.

I am looking forward to receiving the L20. Thanks for making yet another bleeding (yes it is a bleeding edge light don. Nobody but Nobody is on this path or even close).
    Yaesumofo
    Last edited by yaesumofo; 05-07-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Yaesumofo,
    I am leary of discussing tint because the lottery is always there to contradict one and especially with some of the LED's like the Cree. I think it is safe to say that in general the LunaSol 20 will have a cooler, higher color temp in both low and high, compared to the LunaSol 27. I don't think the tints are significant enough to make any real difference when viewing what is in the beam as opposed to the beam itself but this is a subjective call.

What I did notice with some different prototypes I put together was at times the low and high LED's themselves differed in tint and this made the difference that much more noticeable. The Rebels that I was originally going to use were very warm in tint and borderline on the green almost to my eye; some of them but not all. Kind of like the high flux 5W's that SF got so much grief about in the L4's a couple years back.

The Rebel has a larger die than the Dragon and behind the 12 mm reflector, its spot is larger in diameter, as a result. I like the package of the Dragon over the Rebel in this light and probably in general terms as well. It is larger and more robust and it doesn't have a tiny gummy dome that could be knocked off.

No one has asked yet but these Golden Dragons do have the tiny red LED in them that would light up in reverse polarity conditions.

SWEET! a Ti with a low red!!! Does it come with a bottle opener as well? lol

Mayo
    Torch Collection

Thanks for the response Don. I understand your reluctance to discuss tint.
    I went to the Osram site and found at least 2 golden dragons which were white. Does the reverse polarity red illuminate if the battery is installed incorrectly in the Lunasol (somehow I doubt it but it had to be asked right?)?

The two Lunasol 27ins that I have now have completly different tints. (CREE BEAM) they are so different that I was very surprised.
    I was curious about the Golden dragon since I do Not have any flashlights based upon this emitter. The One light I have based on the REBEL 100 is quite something especially considering how tiny the emitter is. It is a hell of a bright light and the tint is nice too.

The Golden dragon looks very promising on paper. I have a feeling that if they were not totally suitable for the Lunasol 20's that you would NOT have used them and I should just learn to trust.
    Details we want details.
    Yaesumofo

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Yaesumofo,
    I am Leary of discussing tint because the lottery is always there to contradict one and especially with some of the Lead like the Cree. I think it is safe to say that in general the LunaSol 20 will have a cooler, higher color temp in both low and high, compared to the LunaSol 27. I don't think the tints are significant enough to make any real difference when viewing what is in the beam as opposed to the beam itself but this is a subjective call.

What I did notice with some different prototypes I put together was at times the low and high Lead themselves differed in tint and this made the difference that much more noticeable. The Rebels that I was originally going to use were very warm in tint and borderline on the green almost to my eye; some of them but not all. Kind of like the high flux 5W's that SF got so much grief about in the L4's a couple years back.

The Rebel has a larger die than the Dragon and behind the 12 mm reflector, its spot is larger in diameter, as a result. I like the package of the Dragon over the Rebel in this light and probably in general terms as well. It is larger and more robust and it doesn't have a tiny gummy dome that could be knocked off.

No one has asked yet but these Golden Dragons do have the tiny red LED in them that would light up in reverse polarity conditions.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast